AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th March, 2004, 09:25 PM

frustrating - single long repeating bios beep

Troubled Hardware:
Generic 350 w PSU, MSI K2M2 Combo-L mainboard (oinboard graphics/sound etc) , Duron 1.8 - with cooler off a Athlon XP 2000, crucial ddr 2100 128 mb memory, excelstor 80 gb hdd, LG 52x cdrom, panasonic fdd.

I looked to repair a pc for my mother - and ended up buying lots of new budget priced replacement parts - so most of the items mentioned above are either new or hardly used.

OK plugged in the basics as described above - not attempted to sort gpu, modem etc at i cant even get this running yet.

From what i have been aware of, a single long bios beep is memory (????), so i bought a new ram module from crucial as i have not had a problem with them in the past. However i am still unable to get any response.

I am so glad i have not had this trouble with my own machine, as i really an pulling out my hair over this.

any suggestions??????

----- and i have just realised i have posted it twice (cant see a delete button - sorry) - best take a break before i go mad.

Last edited by kellamne; 10th March, 2004 at 09:40 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th March, 2004, 10:30 PM
AOA Staff

You can delete posts but not threads - simple one.

Now, the less simple one. Does your motherboard manual give an explanation of the diagnostic beeps?

Is the memory configured correctly in the BIOS?

EDIT: I should have asked, can you even get into the BIOS?
Old 10th March, 2004, 10:34 PM
AOA Staff

Another thought, is there a jumper on the motherboard for selecting the FSB speed to either 133 or 166mhz?
Old 11th March, 2004, 12:14 AM

thanks for looking at this for me . . . . nothing like having a moan when plans go wrong

fsb (changing from a 1300 to 1800 duron - will this have a fsb jumper change??

no - cant get to bios. so will have to start from scrtch with manual on saturday - when i dont have to worry about work. for now going to just set up my pc to download all the unpdated drivers etc in hope that ill get to use them on weekend.
Old 11th March, 2004, 01:49 AM
AOA Staff

I had a look at athe manual myself. The jumper allows you to switch between 100 and 133 FSB on that board. It should be in the 133mhz position for the memory you have, but would still work in the 100mhz position - so that's not the problem.

There is a JLED connector on your motherboard which allows for the connection of an optional 4 LED display which helps with diagnosing faults. Do you have it? If not it may be worth getting one if you are stuck with this. The manual explains this more.
Old 11th March, 2004, 09:36 AM

4 LED display for JLED connector on your motherboard - haven't got one.

any ideas where to get them (UK) - just had a quick look on google and can only find them in articles with MSI motherboards.
Old 12th March, 2004, 12:31 AM
AOA Staff

Not sure where you would be able to get one, my MSI board came with one.

Have you been through the troubleshooting areas of MSI's site at http://www.msi.com.tw/ ?

Have you got another memory stick you can test with?