AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd April, 2004, 07:50 PM

Unhappy DMI pool and stop codes problem

Hi,

I'm trying to fix a machine I have, the spec is:

AMD Athalon XP 1600
Epox 8K7A MoBo
256MB RAM
80GB Matrox HD
nVidia Geforce 4 MX440 SE
Toshiba DVD ROM drive
Sony DVD Writer
Intel NIC
Windows XP Pro

This setup has been fine for a good six months.

Heres the problem. Whenever I boot up from a cold boot the machine jams at the Verifying DMI Pool part of the boot up. However if I hit the reset button the machine will quite often start to boot into Windows and then come up with a varierty of different stop codes. Eventually hitting reset enough will get you into Windows and the machine will run fine.

Here's what I've tried to do to resolve it:
- Wiped the CMOS settings.
- Flashed the BIOS to the latest version.
- Replaced the CMOS battery.
- Booted up minus hard drive.
- Booted up minus DVD drives.
- Booted up minus network card.
- Booted up minus floppy drive.
- Booted up with different graphics card.
- Clean installed Windows XP having deleted partition.
- Booted up without internal CPU cache, external CPU cache and both caches.

I've also run these tests:

- Soak tested memory with Memtest-86.
- Tested Matrox HD with Powermax.

All of the above has not resolved the problem. The test of the HD did report that there was an error, however I've ignored this as booting the machine without the HD didn't resolve the problem. The only other "issue" that might be related is that I don't have an 80pin cable for the HD, but I've switched UDMA off and it's made no difference, plus it's always been like this without any problems.

I'm about to do the unplug everything and put it back in one at a time test, however I can't see it making a difference.

I've been trying to fix this in my spare time for about a week. Is it worth me continuing or should I just accept that the mobo is probably trashed and it's time for a new one?

Rich.
Old 2nd April, 2004, 08:11 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Try this. Source: http://www.plasma-online.de/index.ht...win9x_dmi.html

Description
Verifying DMI Pool Data in Windows 95/98

The Desktop Management Interface (DMI) is a new method of managing computers in an enterprise. The main component of DMI is the Management Information Format Database, or MIFD (the DMI Pool Data). This database contains all the information about the computing system and its components. At times, some systems may experience a hang condition after partitioning, formatting and initial boot-up of a hard drive. In Windows 95 and 98, changes to the motherboards BIOS settings, changes in hard drives or to hard drive settings alters this pool data. The message, "Verifying DMI Pool Data" appears and the system hangs. This condition may continue even after the physical drive has been removed from the system.

Solution
Method One:
- Apply power to the computer.
- Access the system BIOS.
- Set "Reset configuration data" to enable (most likely to be found in PCI/PnP section of BIOS)
- Save the BIOS changes and restart PC.

Method Two:
- Set the drive type as None or Not Installed.
- Then Load the BIOS Defaults
- Then Load the SETUP Defaults
- Save the BIOS changes and reboot the PC to a System Boot Diskette.
- Shut down the PC after the memory count is displayed.
- Reconnect the power and interface cables to the hard drive.
- Access the System BIOS.
- Auto-Detect the hard drive. Ensure that the LBA Mode option is enabled.
- Save the BIOS changes and restart the PC with a System Diskette.
- Partition and format the hard drive via the operating system.
- Restart the system. On boot, the screen should read:
Verifying DMI Pool Data
Update Successful
- The system should continue booting normally.

Method Three:
- Disable both the Internal and External CPU Cache. These features are located in either the "BIOS Features" or "Advanced Settings" menu.
- Save the BIOS changes and restart the PC to a System Boot Diskette. On startup, the screen should read:
Verifying DMI Pool Data
Update Successful
- After the system successfully boots, re-start the PC and access the system BIOS.
- Enable the Internal and External CPU Cache.
- Save the BIOS changes and restart the PC to a System Boot Diskette. On startup, the screen should read:
Verifying DMI Pool Data
Update Successful
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd April, 2004, 08:13 PM
AOA Staff

Does seem to be that you have tested everything bar the motherboard and cpu.

If the machine runs fine, once it finally boots, that would indicate that the cpu is ok. Have you stressed the system after it boots windows?
Old 2nd April, 2004, 08:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Pretty much everything I've found on the web is the same as the above, followed by "If this don't work, your mobo is trash".
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd April, 2004, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
Does seem to be that you have tested everything bar the motherboard and cpu.

If the machine runs fine, once it finally boots, that would indicate that the cpu is ok. Have you stressed the system after it boots windows?
I've not tried stressing it specifically put it seems to play games okay.

One thing I have noticed is that once it's started up into Windows it will re-start without incident. So it's definetely something to do with cold booting the machine.

For extra info the CPU temperature is currently at 49 degrees, so I don't think it's an over heating problem.

Last edited by rikjc; 2nd April, 2004 at 08:51 PM.
Old 2nd April, 2004, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Try this. Source: http://www.plasma-online.de/index.ht...win9x_dmi.html

Description
Verifying DMI Pool Data in Windows 95/98

The Desktop Management Interface (DMI) is a new method of managing computers in an enterprise. The main component of DMI is the Management Information Format Database, or MIFD (the DMI Pool Data). This database contains all the information about the computing system and its components. At times, some systems may experience a hang condition after partitioning, formatting and initial boot-up of a hard drive. In Windows 95 and 98, changes to the motherboards BIOS settings, changes in hard drives or to hard drive settings alters this pool data. The message, "Verifying DMI Pool Data" appears and the system hangs. This condition may continue even after the physical drive has been removed from the system.

Solution
Method One:
- Set "Reset configuration data" to enable (most likely to be found in PCI/PnP section of BIOS)
- Save the BIOS changes and restart PC.

Method Two:
- Set the drive type as None or Not Installed.
- Then Load the BIOS Defaults
- Then Load the SETUP Defaults
- Save the BIOS changes and reboot the PC to a System Boot Diskette.
- Shut down the PC after the memory count is displayed.
- Reconnect the power and interface cables to the hard drive.
- Auto-Detect the hard drive. Ensure that the LBA Mode option is enabled.
- Save the BIOS changes and restart the PC with a System Diskette.
- Partition and format the hard drive via the operating system.
- Restart the system. On boot, the screen should read:
Verifying DMI Pool Data
Update Successful

Method Three:
- Disable both the Internal and External CPU Cache. These features are located in either the "BIOS Features" or "Advanced Settings" menu.
Verifying DMI Pool Data
Update Successful
- After the system successfully boots, re-start the PC and access the system BIOS.
- Enable the Internal and External CPU Cache.
Verifying DMI Pool Data
Update Successful

Yeah I've tried all three of those methods. Disabling the internal and external caches does cause it to boot up normally, but if you leave them disabled it won't subsequently boot up without problems. So what I mean is that it works for the first attempt, if you power it down, leave it for a while and then power it back up (still with caches disabled) it still doesn't boot correctly.
Old 4th April, 2004, 11:33 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I wonder if the lack of an 80 conductor IDE ribbon is the hang up? Personally, I'd see if a 80 conductor, 40-pin ribbon makes a difference. Sometimes the simplest things bite you.
Old 5th April, 2004, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
I wonder if the lack of an 80 conductor IDE ribbon is the hang up? Personally, I'd see if a 80 conductor, 40-pin ribbon makes a difference. Sometimes the simplest things bite you.
Yeah I thought this, I change the cable over to an 80 conductor IDE ribbon on the weekend. I also wiped the HD, including partitions, and put everything back on.

Initially everything seemed to be fine but I tried powering it up this morning and it froze again at the "Verifying DMI pool..." stage. Still it seems to have stopped producing random stop codes when it boots up as well

I still haven't got round to taking all the hardware out and putting it all back in an item at a time until I discover the fault. However I think the problem might be a CMOS problem as the machine seems okay whilst it has been recently powered up, the problems only seem to occur when the machine has been powered down for long time.
Old 11th April, 2004, 03:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to JMa2969

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikjc
Yeah I thought this, I change the cable over to an 80 conductor IDE ribbon on the weekend. I also wiped the HD, including partitions, and put everything back on.

Initially everything seemed to be fine but I tried powering it up this morning and it froze again at the "Verifying DMI pool..." stage. Still it seems to have stopped producing random stop codes when it boots up as well

I still haven't got round to taking all the hardware out and putting it all back in an item at a time until I discover the fault. However I think the problem might be a CMOS problem as the machine seems okay whilst it has been recently powered up, the problems only seem to occur when the machine has been powered down for long time.
Then try replacing the battery if it has one, or check your power supply. You just might not have enough power? You never know. (listen to the ignorant!!lol)
Corsair TwinX 512Mb PC-3200LL RAM 11-3-2-2
2x Hitachi 80Gb 7k250 SATA Drives RAID0 (with WDC 20Gig Backup)
Antec Performance Plus 1080 AMG With 5 fans
Vantec Aeroflow CPU fan (all air here)
MSI GeForce 5900XT-VTD VGA
Creative Audigy MP3+