AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th April, 2004, 04:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to JMa2969

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeVeRmiNd
Funny you should say that because last night I did those two things: 1) Made sure the + and - wasnt backwards on the case speaker 2) Took out RAM to see if it would beep, which it did not. I am starting to think the motherboardfis dead, but it DOES NOT AT ALL look like it or act like it. But PLEASE any AOA staff that will take up this challenge please respond. I will much appreciate ANY help I can get.
Sorry, just trying to cover the bases. But you will have better luck just returning the board. I would bet that it is somehow a blown or corrupted bios. Even the processor should give you some kind of beep code if bad. Feel free to chime in AOA if you agree. But that is where i would think the problem is. (I would bet no-one will take your rig. They have enough to do and lives to live. They give advice, not fix computers, maybe that came out too harshly, but it is the truth. These guys are busy enough just reading and maintaining the boards and working their jobs.
Good luck;
Tim
Corsair TwinX 512Mb PC-3200LL RAM 11-3-2-2
2x Hitachi 80Gb 7k250 SATA Drives RAID0 (with WDC 20Gig Backup)
Antec Performance Plus 1080 AMG With 5 fans
Vantec Aeroflow CPU fan (all air here)
MSI GeForce 5900XT-VTD VGA
Creative Audigy MP3+
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th April, 2004, 05:05 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Go look here and follow the instructions. If you don't get anything, you've got a duff cpu or mobo.

Edit: Or perhaps a duff PSU.

Last edited by Gizmo; 11th April, 2004 at 05:20 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th April, 2004, 05:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to NeVeRmiNd

and I switched video card...but IM me on aol instant messanger: nevermindq is my screen name. dont forget the challenge. please.....anyone!!
Old 11th April, 2004, 05:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I would prefer not to take ownership of someone else's computer, particularly when its state is not known. Too many things can happen in shipping. In any case, if you've followed the link I gave you, there is little else that I could do with it myself.
Old 11th April, 2004, 06:45 PM

someone Imed me earlier and I forget the Screen name...what was it again. Or you can just IM me back....BTW Jma2969 I cannot return the board because I bought it off someone from e-bay 2 months ago.
Old 11th April, 2004, 07:48 PM
AOA Staff

If you can't get hold of spare components to test with you are going to have to buy more parts. I would start with the motherboard. My gut feeling is that the motherboard is goosed.

Can you get hold of a meter to test the power supply?
Old 12th April, 2004, 04:45 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
If you can't get hold of spare components to test with you are going to have to buy more parts. I would start with the motherboard. My gut feeling is that the motherboard is goosed.

Can you get hold of a meter to test the power supply?
Seeing as I dont know what a meter IS.....probably no.
Old 12th April, 2004, 05:57 PM
AOA Staff

One of these:
http://www.electronic-supply.com/DMM-page.htm

You could always take the PSU to any electrical repair shop and ask them to test it for you.
Old 12th April, 2004, 07:12 PM
Member/Contributer

...or if you are friendly with a local computer shop "maybe" one of the staff there might be able to test all your components individually and single out the offending piece?

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 12th April, 2004, 09:19 PM

Does anyone know where to get a cheap motherboard at? I mean DIRT CHEAP. I don;t care if it's used or OEM as long as it runs my AMD 1700. Anyone know some website like this? That sells cheap used computer parts? I've already done ebay and I dont see anything good on there. Thanks!
Old 12th April, 2004, 09:32 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Unfortunately, it sounds like you need a good friend near by with some spare parts.

Before you go too far or spend any money... confirm a few things for me.
Has the motherboard ever booted up properly? If yes, was it in the same case, with the same PSU?

Did the case previously have a different mobo?

When was the last time the CPU worked, and what board was it in?

Have you visually checked the CPU closely for damage? (cracks, chips or scorch marks?)

The nature of the response you are getting makes me believe the either the mobo is at fault or the CPU. The first thing you should do is pull out a cardboard box, disassemble the entire computer completely. Lay the mobo on the cardboard box, connect video, 1 stick of mem, and CPU, and the Power to the PSU. Start it up and see if you get anything.... Beeps, signals anything.

Fans spinning, and drives spinning don't mean much.

Also, if possible, try swapping the CPU out.

Regarding your offer to ship out the system... I'd love to help you out, but there is a liability thing... sorry. Where are you located?
Old 12th April, 2004, 09:49 PM

I purchased the mobo off ebay and I didnt try the mobo out when I first got it because I didnt have all the parts. But I know the processor, graphics card, and memory all work because I have tested them all on another comp. The only things that Im not sure that work or not is the Hard-Drive, Cd-ROM, and Floopy drive. I purchased all these items working but I have not tested them myself. But like I said, I have no reason at all to beleive they don't work. I will pull out everything and try to boot the mobo itself in a box, but how do I know if it boots or not because nothing will be connected. Here is the mobo info: Shuttle AK32Vn (V3.1). ANY advice is much appreciated. Thanks for the idea of assembling it in a box. I will go try it.
Old 12th April, 2004, 09:50 PM

Oh BTW Im located in Orlando FL.
Old 12th April, 2004, 10:44 PM

I just hooked up the mobo with NOTHING in or on it. Just the main ATX power connector and the BARE mobo on a piece of cardboard. Had case speaker hooked to it.......no beeps. NOTHING. Does this mean for sure its dead?
Old 13th April, 2004, 08:31 PM

weRd.
Old 13th April, 2004, 08:54 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

EDIT: Duh, I jumped the gun. Did you have the CPU/HSF installed? My comments below assume that they were, and you get the same response from the system... fans spinning, etc.

Ok... You seem to have proven it is not a short in the case...

Sounds very much like a bad mobo... What in particular, I can't tell, maybe a corrupt bios.

If the memory was bad or missing, you'd get beeps.
If the vid card was bad or missing, you'd get beeps.
If the CPU was overheating/too overclocked, you might get sirens or beeps.

The response you get; fan and drives spinning only... usually indicate NO CPU, DEAD CPU, or bad mobo.

Essentially what appears to be happening, is that components are getting power, but the mobo is unable to initiate the boot at all, and that is why I tend to think it is a corrupt bios, or dead CPU. If the mobo could boot far enough... it would go through diagnostics and beep at you for memory or vid problems. Only after it gets to the initial boot upscreen, the system starts looking for drives and peripherals.
Old 13th April, 2004, 11:36 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeVeRmiNd
Does anyone know where to get a cheap motherboard at? I mean DIRT CHEAP. I don;t care if it's used or OEM as long as it runs my AMD 1700. Anyone know some website like this? That sells cheap used computer parts? I've already done ebay and I dont see anything good on there. Thanks!
Nooooo Noooooo!!! Dont buy anymore USED equipment to test with, thats just adding more unknowns into the mix! Ask a good friend to test your CPU for you. If it works, then I'd order a NEW Mainboard from Newegg.

Just out of interest, have you checked to make sure the CMOS jumper is present and in the correct position?

Laz.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by Lazgoat; 14th April, 2004 at 12:18 AM.
Old 13th April, 2004, 11:39 PM

Ok I'm late to this party but here is something to check: I once had purchase a new motherboard ( a 386, which tells you how long ago this was) and the CMOS jumper was set to clear from the factory. the board would act just like you are describing, fans turning but no beeps and no post.
The other possibility is a dead bios chip

AOA Team fah
Old 13th April, 2004, 11:59 PM
AOA Staff

That's a good tip Dolanen! It could be that simple.
Old 14th April, 2004, 04:15 PM

One step ahead of you. When I was asked to rebuild it and see if it would boot I did. But it wouldnt even turn on! Then I realized that I had left the CMOS jumper to "Clear" and it would not power on. I replaced it back to its original position and it powered on. But no "BOOT". Im going to order a new motherboard and see if thats the problem. Unfortunately, I have no friends that are into computers like me (as far as building them goes) so I have no one to test it out. And the one friend thats semi-computer geek has an Intel-based mobo. So I hope this is a bad mobo (wow....I never thought I'd sa that) because I dont want to waste 80$ if it isnt. I'll write back when I get the motherboard. Thanks guys for all your help!