AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th April, 2004, 12:33 AM

Friend of mine just brought me his computer - he replaced the heatsink on the CPU and now it won't post. After diagnosing the machine, I discovered the heatsink was installed backwards and the little pad of 'goop' used for a heatsink compound did not make contact with the cpu core. I pulle dthe chip and sure enough, blackened spot on the underside - dead CPU. The reason I mention this here is that he got no beeps and all the fans turned. SOunds too much like what you are experiencing NeVeR....

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th April, 2004, 01:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to NeVeRmiNd

Thanks dolanenwindrift for the info I'll replace the AMD 1700 with my other comps 2400 and see if it boots.
Old 15th April, 2004, 01:50 AM

Another question......I don't have a pad or thermal grease, if I just put on the heatsink without either will my system still work fine? I know it will have HIGH temps and most Computer enthusiasts wouldn't reccomend it but, would it in all honesty work fine?
Old 15th April, 2004, 01:53 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I rather doubt it. The thermal compound exists because there are always voids (air gaps) between the heat sink and the chip. The thermal compound fills the voids to help conduct the heat away.

Why do the voids exist? Because the mating surfaces (the base of the heat sink and the top of the chip) are not perfect images of each other. If you could get the two surfaces to be perfect images of each other (like making them both perfectly flat) then you wouldn't need the compound.

Long and short; I wouldn't recommend it.

If you've got some diaper rash ointment around, that will probably do until you can get the real stuff.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th April, 2004, 02:09 AM

Definitely put heat sink grease on! You should be able to find some at radio shack - Artic Silver can be found at CompUSA if there is one near you. The stuff I use is some Milspec thermal compound I found at Altex, an electronics shop chain here in Texas.

AOA Team fah
Old 15th April, 2004, 04:47 PM

Post Radio Shack?

Really? They sell thermal grease at Radio Shack?!?! I did not know that, I will have to pick some up. Also, I tried my AMD 2400 on the mobo and it did not boot Which is semi-good because that pretty much concludes your suspicions on the dead mobo.
Old 16th April, 2004, 05:05 PM

Sorry this is off subject...but..can I put thermal grease on EVERYTHING in my computer to lower tepms without problems or ???
Old 16th April, 2004, 05:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

No. Thermal grease should only be applied to improve the interface with a heat sink. If the chip doesn't have a heat sink, then putting thermal grease on top will make things worse, not better.

Now, there may be some chips in your computer that could benefit from having a heat sink, or from having a better heat sink, but that is rather dependent on the computer.
Old 16th April, 2004, 06:09 PM
AOA Staff

Also, thermal paste is usually electrically conductive. So when you apply it to the cpu put only a very thin even layer on the core in the center.
Old 17th April, 2004, 08:53 PM

I have another question for the AOA staff....did I d/l the right boot disk for making a computer? The link is on like my first post. Please check it out nd let me knoe. Thanks you AOA staff so much!
Old 17th April, 2004, 08:55 PM

lol my spelling..."knoe" "nd" "thanks you"= know, and, thank you.
Old 17th April, 2004, 11:20 PM
AOA Staff

How do you mean "for making a computer"?
Old 18th April, 2004, 01:45 AM

i meant for making parations on the hard drive to make it a bootable device with all the neccassie drivers
Old 18th April, 2004, 06:16 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I believe that disk is only intended for accessing existing NTFS drives, not for preparing and formating new ones.

If you are installing WindowsNT, Windows2000, or WindowsXP, you don't normaly need any kind of special boot disk to format and partition the hard drive. Provided your computer can boot the CD, all you need is the drivers for your hard drive controller. If your hard drive is on one of the standard IDE connectors (not a RAID controller), then you shouldn't even need that.
Old 18th April, 2004, 01:49 PM

Yes, it's IDE. Thanks Gizmo!
Old 18th April, 2004, 07:41 PM

AOA staff I love you and your site and I'm sorry I'm getting off subject and I understand this forums only for serious computer problems but I have ONE LAST question and I don't want to go through the trouble of setting up a new thread for this question, so PLEASE excuse my lazieness.Ok AOA heres a tough one: A while back after building my first comp I bought a new Windows XP disk to install on the system. Then after that I made a copy of the disk [not exactly legal ] and because of the unorganized person that I am, I somehow lost the original disk. I still have the copy of the disk that I had made with all the files on the original disk and I need it to install on the computer Im building now [ordered that Gigabyte board from newegg.com JMa2969 ] And instead of buying a new disk for 100$ which I don't have I was going to buy a liscense from Microsoft.com for 80$ and use the copied disk. The problem is this: I need to make the disk a bootable one, when I put the disk into the drive and start up my computer it does not say "Press any key to boot from disk" like it should say. I wanted to know what file I need to put on the disk for it to be a bootable one. Like a notepad, autoexec.exe, etc. type of file. I KNOW that it is possible to do this as my friend has done it before and has installed Windows doing so. This is a tough one AOA staff but I'm sure you can handle it.
Old 18th April, 2004, 08:09 PM
AOA Staff

Wny not just buy a licence and then borrow an original XP install disk and use your own product key?

The last time I reinstalled XP I had to phone MS for a key.
Old 18th April, 2004, 08:29 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

If your machine won't boot the CD, it is quite likely that when you made the copy, you actually did a file copy, and not a CD Image. As a result, you didn't get the boot image you need to be able to boot the CD. You should be able to find an image of the boot disks you need to be able to boot from floppy by going to www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm.

Once you have the boot disks (I believe that there are 4 disks in the image), you will then have to boot your computer using the floppies and install from there.

Now, having said all of the above and answered your question, I am obliged to point out to you that using an unauthorized copy of the Windows media is ILLEGAL! By admitting in a public forum that you are using a COPY of the software for which you DO NOT CURRENTLY have a license, you are opening yourself up to the possibility of legal prosecution. GET THE LICENSE, post haste. I realize that you already plan to do this, I am just trying to emphasize to you the importance of doing so.

I have no love for Microsoft, but people are entitled to the fruits of their labors.
Old 18th April, 2004, 08:42 PM

I did do a file copy and not cd image. Thanks Gizmo. I also had to phone microsoft danrok. But there is no one who has the original disk. Not even my friend, thatrs why he made the copy . Thanks for the quick reply guys. I can always count on AOA. Thanks!
Old 18th April, 2004, 08:45 PM

Lol, Gizmo. Also, when I boot from the floppy I can access files from the cd-rom even though it doesnt auto-boot unless I click on the setup icon in the cds files?