AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th April, 2004, 12:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to NeVeRmiNd

lol....quick reply
Old 20th April, 2004, 12:39 AM
AOA Staff

Sorry I missed the bit where you said that you don't have the board.

I would get the board working at defaults and leave it for a week or so before attempting any overclocking.
Old 20th April, 2004, 12:40 AM

lowest FSB is 200 mhz, if I put it to 200FSB and 9x multiplier what should my voltage be to run the processor at a stable temp withg out blowing or overheating?
Old 20th April, 2004, 12:40 AM
AOA Staff

The thermal interface on the cooler takes a few days to settle in.
Old 20th April, 2004, 12:41 AM
AOA Staff

You would be lucky to get your CPU upto 200mhz.
Old 20th April, 2004, 12:42 AM

what do u mean lucky to get the cpu at 200 mhz? Its FSB it 266.
Old 20th April, 2004, 12:46 AM
AOA Staff

266mhz is the DDR speed of dual channel memory. The CPU is 133mhz not 266mhz. The best you could expect is 150mhz out of the CPU.

The problem is that your memory is much faster than the CPU.
Old 20th April, 2004, 12:57 AM
AOA Staff

My Athlon XP3000+ is running at 12x 200mhz = 2400mhz.

If I had two sticks of PC3200 memory the bus speed would be running at 400mhz.

It is only running in single channel mode right now with one stick at 200mhz.
Old 20th April, 2004, 05:01 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

ok,.....so to get back to the topic of your board...why hasn't anyone asked about if the bios is socketed or not?
sounds to me the guy u bought it from tried flashing it with a bad bios and now it's a pcb wafer cracker.
what was the board again?
if you have a board that has a socketed bios(usually ya want the one with 2 sockets!) you could possibly flash the biosto the proper one and have a working board..you would be surprised how many cheap boards I bought and "fixed" with an old gigabyte board.
btw the bios chip must be the same..usually it is but i always check(i never use pentiums)
Old 20th April, 2004, 11:29 AM

not really.
Old 21st April, 2004, 03:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to JMa2969

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
My Athlon XP3000+ is running at 12x 200mhz = 2400mhz.

If I had two sticks of PC3200 memory the bus speed would be running at 400mhz.

It is only running in single channel mode right now with one stick at 200mhz.
Sorry Danrock, but WHAT? DDR memory runs at twice the frequency no matter what the setup (Dual or Single channel). The only thing dual channel affects is the bandwidth to the CPU (and that is fractionally). You know better than what you said, I know you do, maybe you just said it wrong (I am not flaming you, as I have enourmous respect for a lot of the things you have said and know, but I think what you meant to write came out wrong, unless you were talking SDRam to DDRRam, but didn't note it).
Best regards;
Tim
Corsair TwinX 512Mb PC-3200LL RAM 11-3-2-2
2x Hitachi 80Gb 7k250 SATA Drives RAID0 (with WDC 20Gig Backup)
Antec Performance Plus 1080 AMG With 5 fans
Vantec Aeroflow CPU fan (all air here)
MSI GeForce 5900XT-VTD VGA
Creative Audigy MP3+
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st April, 2004, 08:41 AM
AOA Staff

Yes, I am talking crap.
Old 21st April, 2004, 08:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to JMa2969

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
Yes, I am talking crap.
LOL!!
Corsair TwinX 512Mb PC-3200LL RAM 11-3-2-2
2x Hitachi 80Gb 7k250 SATA Drives RAID0 (with WDC 20Gig Backup)
Antec Performance Plus 1080 AMG With 5 fans
Vantec Aeroflow CPU fan (all air here)
MSI GeForce 5900XT-VTD VGA
Creative Audigy MP3+
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd April, 2004, 11:03 PM

Im sure nobodys probably still looking at this thread, but to keep you updated I just bought a new motherboard from newegg.com and I am having the same problem as before. I try to boot it in a cardboard box with just the speaker connected to it. Then I turn the motherboard on and I get NO beeps from the speaker! I know the speaker works becuase I took it from my other comp and tested it. Do you guys have any idea whats wrong, or am I just cursed?
Old 23rd April, 2004, 11:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Ok, same routine as before:

1) Unplug and disconnect EVERYTHING from your mobo, EXCEPT the following:
A: The connector from the case speaker
B: The CPU, and the HSF for the CPU.
C: Any fans that may be mounted directly on your mobo from the factory
D: The ATX power connector from the PSU to the mobo
E: The P4 power connector from the PSU to the mobo, if your mobo uses it
F: The connector for the power button on your case

This means, no RAM, no hard drives, no floppies, no video card, no CDs, NOTHING but the items mentioned above. (Don't remove any jumpers that were installed by the factory, of course. You need those.)

2) Make sure the PSU is plugged in and turned on. Now press the power button on your case. If the mobo and CPU are good, you should get one long beep after a few seconds (count to 10 slowly).

3) Assuming that works, power down (as in, unplug the PSU from the wall supply), and install your RAM. Plug the PSU back in, make sure it is turned on, and press the power button on your case again. If the RAM is good, you should get a series of beeps, different from the previous ones.

4) Assuming that works, power down as above, and install your video card. Power up as above. At this point, you should get one short beep after a few seconds.

5) Assuming that works, you can now plug your monitor and keyboard in, go into the BIOS, add additional devices, whatever.
Old 23rd April, 2004, 11:41 PM

Ok, I did what you said and still NO beeps. . Curse you New Egg!
Old 23rd April, 2004, 11:45 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I wish you had a volt meter that you could put on the thing to see if the PSU were putting out enough juice to work everything properly.....while it's not impossible, it seems unlikely that New Egg would have sent you a second bad board.
Old 24th April, 2004, 12:11 AM

I had a friend test the PSU, all is good. So that rules that out.
Old 24th April, 2004, 12:38 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Hmmm...........well, that leaves us with CPU and mobo. Logic would seem to suggest that your CPU is toast.
Old 24th April, 2004, 12:51 AM

Would the mobo beep with no cpu installed?