AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th October, 2001, 12:16 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

HDD's are APITA. Everyone judges by what a certain brand or brands has done for them. You can get a lemon of ANY brand of drive.
AFAIK, the 60 GXP's are the fastest ATA-100's. Personally, I would not buy one. You might, and you might love it. Perhaps more importantly, IT will like you!

ATM, if I had to choose(and I might have to at any moment, thanks to IBM) I think I'd get a Maxtor. As long as it WAS a Maxtor--and not a Quantum hiding in a Maxtor box. Believe me, it happens.
Old 8th October, 2001, 01:56 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Ploaf Send a message via AIM to Ploaf Send a message via Yahoo to Ploaf

Or an IBM hidden in a Maxtor box. I buy whatever is cool and don't stay loyal to a brand. I have had trouble with every brand in one way or another, but only a couple were mine. Most were others that asked me to fix theirs. Except Fujistu. Never experienced one. Maybe that will be the next one. lol
Old 8th October, 2001, 02:20 PM

Ploaf...

Fujitsu's have been very, very good to me... I have an 8 gig (5400/66) that outperforms my WD 7400/66 by more than 30% according to SiSandra...

Most importantly, it has been reliable and QUIET... even with the cover off and the box next to my head I have a hard time hearing it... whereas, the WDs sound like a pair of old washing machines...

Of course, I think I remember that Fujitsu builds for IBM too... Hmmm...

Notice to signature reader: The entire physical universe, including
this signature, may one day collapse back into an infinitesimally
small space. Should another universe subsequently re-emerge,
the existence of this signature in that universe cannot be guaranteed.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th October, 2001, 04:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Ploaf Send a message via AIM to Ploaf Send a message via Yahoo to Ploaf

Ever since I first read this thread I've been talking to several friends about it and the only brand that noone has had a problem with was Fujitsu, which is why I mentioned it. You have confirmed what they said and it will probably be the next HD I get. I agree about WD's being noisy. I did have a Seagate that was unbelievably quiet and it's been working well for a couple of years now. Maybe it was made by Fujitsu.

Anyway- I did manage to get the IBM working and wanted to say thanks to everyone for all of the information because I would not have known what was wrong otherwise.So.. Thanks.
Old 8th October, 2001, 05:05 PM

Ploaf,
Just re-read your original post, well nearly original.

I did that once, had a 8Gig drive I left around doing nothing for around 3 months, and when I fired it up again it was covered in bad sectors...

I fixed it, eventually, but it seems that if you leave a drive doing nothing, no spinning, for a long time it gets damaged or something.

Glad you got yours working again, chances are that there will be no problems with it now since it was not an operational failure, but a sit around and do nothing type of failure.

But don't forget to monitor the drive now and then...

Zorro.
4x40Gig Raid0
Juno P6 (Soon to be custom built - Ok not so soon.)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th October, 2001, 05:12 PM

D'OH! Just re-read my previous sig, seemed I UNDERclocked my CPU, not on your life!!!!!!!!!
4x40Gig Raid0
Juno P6 (Soon to be custom built - Ok not so soon.)
Old 9th October, 2001, 05:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

How do i rma a Ibm hardrive- i use all differnt types of hardrives (maxtor-quantum-fugi-ibm-segate-samsung-even a cosiar- - but this little Ibm, got too much power from a bad powersppy- and i need to return it- its got that 3 year warrenty- and my beachouse computer now has no hardrive! Its a 9.1 gig- 7200 rpm, who do i call- email- bicth at?

Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 9th October, 2001, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ploaf
Ever since I first read this thread I've been talking to several friends about it and the only brand that noone has had a problem with was Fujitsu, which is why I mentioned it. You have confirmed what they said and it will probably be the next HD I get. I agree about WD's being noisy. I did have a Seagate that was unbelievably quiet and it's been working well for a couple of years now. Maybe it was made by Fujitsu.

Anyway- I did manage to get the IBM working and wanted to say thanks to everyone for all of the information because I would not have known what was wrong otherwise.So.. Thanks.

If your planning to get a Fujitsu for your next HDD, better get it now> Fujitsu had decided to stop making IDE ( desktop ) drives and focus more on SCSI dirves... that was a month ago already... so everything they're selling for desktops are just part of their remaining inventory....

~>Powered by AMD Duron Processor<~
Old 13th October, 2001, 04:55 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Spyder462
How do i rma a Ibm hardrive- i use all differnt types of hardrives
It's easy to RMA an IBM DASD. Surf your way over to IBM HD RMA form

If the drive is totally dead - IE no electronics, then go for the RMA request. If the drive responds to an inquiry command, then use the Drive Fitness Test first to obtain the TRC code (At least, I think it's the TRC).

You'll need the drive serial number, and the part number (NOT the model number!). Both numbers should be on the drive.

Hope this helps.

AidanII
Old 13th October, 2001, 06:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to proze

i had a nightmare with ibm drives. two 75gxp's that went belly-up in a very short time. and the rma process was a complete nightmare. the second one was replaced by a quantum fireball plus as... apparently ibm use these in their oem machines. anyway, the quantum is bl00dy fast, and has given me no issues (touch wood!).

other than those two, i've never had issues with wd drives either.. l like them. it's all down to to personal experience and preference, though.

Duron 600@1102 (105*10.5), Asus A7V, 256MB generic RAM at 140mhz 2-2-2, MTS Glaciator II, Creative GF Pro, Awesome no-name 300W PSU.
Old 14th October, 2001, 02:20 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I've been wary of Fujitsu's 'cause they're a bit new on the "scene." Well, looks like it's too late! Seen quite a few Fujitsu owner's good reviews. I can't find them locally any longer. I've decided that SCSI just isn't within my budget. I guess I'll buy me one a' them IBM 60 GXP's. If they're the fastest, they must be the most reliable, too! JK!
Old 15th October, 2001, 03:28 AM

Thx for the advice Aidan II, ill fill out the form later----- How badly do u need a hardrive :-D Is it 18gig 7200 or 10,000rpm Ibm- i have one- (i think-if i can find it in this mess i call an office! lol_)

Spyder
AOA Team fah
Old 15th October, 2001, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Spyder462
How badly do u need a hardrive :-D Is it 18gig 7200 or 10,000rpm Ibm
It's ok now - I got my drive back after about a week and a half. Slapped the drive in the machine and started a restore from tape. Thought I was sorted until I realised the restore wasn't going anywhere. The tape drive despooled my backup tape.

Hint: Install the 4-in-1 drivers if you have a SCSI Onstream drive and a VIA based board. If you don't the drive will despool the tape every time.

AidanII
Old 17th October, 2001, 02:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to WhoBeDaPlaya Send a message via AIM to WhoBeDaPlaya

60GXPs and 75GXPs are currently known to be notorious. heh... I have 3 40GB 60GXPs deployed here, hopefully they don't go bust *knocks wood*

Apparently, 75GXPs with Mitsubishi DSPs on them seem more susceptible to failure. Cannot confirm intel validity though...
Old 18th October, 2001, 05:01 AM

Well- supprisingly i sent my bad 9.1 ina week ago- and since i know a few people at Ibm- they sent me a *new * drive right away....... new as in its been sittin in a store room for two years..... lol

Spyder.
AOA Team fah
Old 19th October, 2001, 06:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

I thing my 45GB IBM just died...
Old 10th November, 2001, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpcman
I thing my 45GB IBM just died...
Too bad about your drive.
Anyway. The IBM 30GB is still running but it hasn't stopped spinning since I got it running, not even to sleep.
I looked all over the place for the Fujitsu's. They had the best overall reliability record that I could see from the S/R.com surveys, but I couldn't find one larger than 20GBs so I went with a Barracuda ST360021A. Nice and QUIET- almost silent, at least compared to the sreamer IBM's and it's fast enough. Noise reduction is becoming more important than ever and while the foam/dynamat made a fair difference, quieter components are certainly welcome. Hope it ends up being reliable.
Thanks........
Old 25th November, 2001, 06:21 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

I had no trouble at all with IBM. I did the whole RMA process over the internet, from their site. I did not run any tests. They gave me an RMA number, and I sent it off to them. Two weeks later I got a replacement drive. Just be sure to put the RMA number on the outside of the box, nice and big, or your drive will sit in recieving for months. (A friend of mine didn't put the RMA number on the box at all, and he's still trying to figure out where his drive is.)

With IBM, you basically say "it's bad" and they send you a new one. I don't know what all the complaining is about.
Old 27th November, 2001, 01:07 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

www.storagereview.com has a new(at least to me) feature. A database of the reliability of many brands and models of HDD's, both IDE and SCSI. More than 6000 folks have contributed to it, making it a must-see. Highly recommended! How do IBM's 75 GXP's fare? Why not have a look?
Old 27th November, 2001, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Azriel
With IBM, you basically say "it's bad" and they send you a new one. I don't know what all the complaining is about.
I actually ran DFT on the drive first. I've come across people where IBM's support have told them to run DFT to obtain an error code before they'd issue an RMA number.

I suspect that IBM may have had a spate of people returning drives with no faults perhaps due to user misunderstanding or perhaps a viral infection?

AidanII

Tags
hard drive problem