AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th September, 2001, 09:54 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Waaa, Dead IBM HD.

After all the fun other people have had with the IBM 60GXP and 75GXP drives dying off, my disk has just decided it wants to follow suit.

Creeping bad sectors on the disk over time - I've been watching them slowly increase. The disk's a UltraStar 18ES, so at least it's got a 5year warrenty on it.

I've run IBM's DFT on it, which comes back and gives me a TRC to obtain an RMA, which is rather nice of it. Anyone lend me a 18Gb UltraWide hard disk?

If I can find some packaging, I'll send it back today, and we'll see how long it takes to get back to me.

Áedán
Old 27th September, 2001, 10:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Yeah, my Dad's computer has been acting up on him, so I went home to have a look. His IBM harddisk has a bunch of bad sectors as well. Should I take this as a sign that I should replace it with a WesternDigital drive ASAP? I've always had great luck with WD.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th September, 2001, 08:10 PM

Erk! It isn't a 60GXP or a 75GXP is it? If so, then it might not be so much of a surprise.

I've never wanted to use a WD since an incident with their drives a few years ago. The company I was working bought ~150 drives to go in a voicemail product.

Within a couple of months we were getting voicemail machines returned because the WD drives had been failing left right and centre (Like the 75GXP series). We could return the drives that had failed, but we couldn't return the drives that hadn't failed - as far as manufacturer was concerned, there was nothing wrong with them. We ended up with a whole bunch of WD drives we wouldn't use! ): I think we had one of the drives that failed inside a month....

I guess they've probably got over that stage in their development, otherwise no-one would buy 'em!

I'm annoyed at my drive dying, as it's a good solid Ultrawide SCSI drive, rather than a cheaper IDE drive, so it is rated for continous use, rather than the typical consumer use.

Áedán
Old 28th September, 2001, 01:43 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

dimmreaper, it's hard to say. If it's a 75GXP or a 60GXP, they should come with a "warning" label. My particular 45 Gb(Uh-oh!) 75GXP developed bad sectors after six months. IBM's HDD software (the "Drive Fitness Test") diagnosed the prob correctly, then suggested that I write zero's to the drive. I did so(within the DFT--it's called something different, but it means write Zero's--I think). This fixed my HDD. It's been seven weeks since then, and it's OK. My fingers remain crossed, nonetheless!

Lots of people report that "writing all zero's" to the drive fixed their bad sector problem. For a while! Then the bad sector problem comes back, and it's really RMA time.

If you bought the drive as an OEM aka "bare drive," (and who doesn't, I ask you?) the re or etailer you bought it from should be contacted for warranty info.

AFAIK, assuming that you deal with IBM directly, it takes them a long time to RMA you a new(that's a knee-slapper) HDD. You can ask them to cross ship, but you'll have to give 'em your CC #, and pay for the RMA'd drive. When they get the HDD you sent them, they'll remove the charge from your CC.

You'll often get a HDD with larger capacity than what you sent them. Big deal. It'll be a "refurbished" 75 GXP, or if you're lucky a 60 GXP. Big deal. It died on someone once--didn't it?

When you RMA that HDD, bingo, you'll get another 75/60GXP--that died on somebody already. After you RMA THAT HDD, you'll get another, you guessed it, GXP.

After that, IBM will not hear from you again. Sure, waste your time calling them up. You are now a non-person.

Sometimes the first replacement HDD works just fine. From what I've read at www.storagereview.com 's BBS, it really seems to be easier to give your bad IBM the sweet sledge hammer treatment.

** This presumes that your etailer doesn't handle the RMA themself. Some etailers are very good about this! They'll send you a Maxtor or WD or whatever, and that's the end of it! **

And never buy another IBM HDD!!! I won't, I swear it. IBM has played the usual corporate horse pockey PR game about these thousands upon thousands of BAD HDD's. Up their nose!

Edit. Some folks suggest running these GXP's 24/7. Forget power saving and letting the drive spin down. Others assert that the problem comes from the way the tracks are packed on the disks's surfaces. The glass(whoo hoo) might expand and contract with heat and cool. I've been running my 45 Gb(the VERY best of the 75GXP's, not) all the time, but I don't run my boxen 24/7 any more. Who really knows? IBM does. And they ain't talkin'.

Last edited by cloasters; 28th September, 2001 at 01:51 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th September, 2001, 02:39 PM

Quote:
AFAIK, assuming that you deal with IBM directly, it takes them a long time to RMA you a new(that's a knee-slapper) HDD
I can't believe they can beat either Quantum or HP.

HP were stars! I had an HP SureStore 2000LP drive die on me. I phoned HP up, and got an RMA. They sent a courier out the next day to pick the old drive up and drop off the new drive.

Quantum were the opposite. I had to ship it to them, and they then proceeded to take nearly THREE months to return a replacement drive. Good thing I'd picked the drive up from the bin where I worked. (;

I'll let you know how long it takes for me to get my SCSI drive back.

Áedán
Old 28th September, 2001, 05:19 PM

FWIW, I have a 45GB 75GXP and thus far have had no problems with it, and I've had it for almost a year. Not sure if the fact that I have 23 partitions on it has anything to do with anything, but...

oO

Making the world less safe for newbies since 1983

(Avatar blatantly stolen from 8-Bit Theater)
Old 29th September, 2001, 01:14 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Because of their 5 year warranties, SCSI's are considered more of a priority item. I hope! A manufacturer's reputation is more on the line with their SCSI HDD's. They are expensive, ergo RMA's should be handled with more dispatch. We hope.

Glad that your 45 Gb 75GXP is running trouble free, OddOne! Wanna trade? JK!
Old 29th September, 2001, 04:08 AM

Ive got the same 45gb 75XGP
Its been running for about a year now with no problems (crossed fingers and toes).

If it does die what would you guys recomend replacing it with ?

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 29th September, 2001, 05:12 PM

Exclamation

I've been running on a 45GB GXP for over 7 month, no problems at all, and hopefully it will stay that way!
Asus GeForce2 MX 191/221MHz (Mem/Core)
45 Gig IBM HD

Old 29th September, 2001, 07:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Frankly, I'm not sure were my Dad got his 75GXP. All I know is that his 4GB drive was full, and he bought the GXP somewere, and I ghosted his old drive to it.

I'm not up for the RMA hassels that all harddrive companies are known for. I've always had great luck with my WesternDigital drives, so I'll just have him buy one, and once again do a ghost job.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 29th September, 2001, 07:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Ploaf Send a message via AIM to Ploaf Send a message via Yahoo to Ploaf

I didn't even know there were problems with the 75GXP drive. I have two of them that I bought last Nov. and they are still working. Do they die all at once?? This is kind of bothering me now.
Old 30th September, 2001, 10:38 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Gosh, Ploaf. Sorry that you read this thread! For many, many more disgruntled(and some happy one's, as well)owner's experiences with their 75GXP's, check out the BBS(it's called "Dicussion," I think) at www.storagereview.com .

Briefly: The entire 75 GXP line of IBM IDE HDD's(mostly 30 Gb and especially 45 Gb models) are prone to failure. This happens in one of two ways. One or a couple of loud clicks, and that's all she wrote. Or the drive develops bad sectors over a period of time--which varies. A few at first, which the IBM HDD software(aka the Drive Fitness Test) often can fix. Then more and more and more which the DFT can't fix, or perhaps can fix, but you'll discover that the DFT is lying to you.

IBM has completely stonewalled about these problems with a significant number of the 75GXP's. This hasn't endeared IBM to the folks that have one of these bad HDD's. At all!

If you've been running two 75GXP's hard for 10 months, it's a pretty safe bet that you didn't get lemons. Well done!
Old 1st October, 2001, 12:03 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Ploaf Send a message via AIM to Ploaf Send a message via Yahoo to Ploaf

Thanks. Think I will get a small drive to back up the important stuff from the IBM. From what I've read most of the problem drives came out of Hungary. I haven't used my 30 GB drive for a while and was playing with it today to set up another folding box with spare parts and I couldn't install an OS or do much of anything with it. I thought it was fine until today. I'll try some of the things that I read to get it going again, but that drive was made in Hungary. My other drive is still going strong, no problems. It was made in Thailand. I don't know if that matters or not but given what was on those sites it makes sense and would explain why I was having so much trouble today.
Old 1st October, 2001, 05:11 PM

Weird.

Bought 2 30Gig 75GXPs, 1 year ago. still running perfectly.

3 weeks later bought another 30 and a 40, still running perfectly.

A few m8s of mine also bought a few, and all in all we have around 8-10 75GXPs and not had a single problem. Might have been a good bunch, or just plain lucky don't know.

Had / known about loads of HDDs dying, some old IBM ones, new maxtors, etc, but never met a dead 75GXP....

I noted one site saying that the problem was with the GMR Head, and yet 90% of all modern drives use GMR heads, so....

I suspect they are a bad bunch that are blown out of proportion.

And as for why the DFT fixes aren't permanent, partly because they may just be using spare sectors to reply the bad ones.

Zero fill can fix a lot of problems, and another tool I'd recommend is spinrite.

find it at http://grc.com

It can help recover and warn of impending data loss if run on a regular basis.

Zorro.
Old 1st October, 2001, 10:46 PM

My tale isn't getting any better. According to UPS, the drive was delivered on the 28th September. According to IBM, the drive hasn't been received. I think a lot of phoning will be in order to discover just where my drive has gone to. ):

AidanII

who's even less impressed now his IBM thinkpad came back from repair with more faults then when it was sent.
Old 1st October, 2001, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zorro
Weird.

Bought 2 30Gig 75GXPs, 1 year ago. still running perfectly.

3 weeks later bought another 30 and a 40, still running perfectly.

A few m8s of mine also bought a few, and all in all we have around 8-10 75GXPs and not had a single problem. Might have been a good bunch, or just plain lucky don't know.

Had / known about loads of HDDs dying, some old IBM ones, new maxtors, etc, but never met a dead 75GXP....

I noted one site saying that the problem was with the GMR Head, and yet 90% of all modern drives use GMR heads, so....

I suspect they are a bad bunch that are blown out of proportion.

And as for why the DFT fixes aren't permanent, partly because they may just be using spare sectors to reply the bad ones.

Zero fill can fix a lot of problems, and another tool I'd recommend is spinrite.

find it at http://grc.com

It can help recover and warn of impending data loss if run on a regular basis.

Zorro.
heh, u know ur stuff dude, u wanna write some articles over at pc-critic?
XP1700+@1627Mhz unlocked
256MB Crucial PC2100
Aopen HX08
30GB Desktar
17" screen
Old 1st October, 2001, 11:11 PM

Thanks Zorro. I have two of these drives, one is running great and the other well....not so great but they were made in two different places and I think it may have been a bad batch too. Anyway. I'll try the zero fill and the other tools first and see if it works after that.

Last edited by Ploaf; 2nd October, 2001 at 02:21 AM.
Old 2nd October, 2001, 11:41 AM

Spinrite should be able to help recover skanked data aswell, but be warned it will take ages on a large drive, as said it can warn you of impending failure too, and thus can help diagnose the problems with the GXP drive you got.

Zero fill will generally fix bad sector problems, short of physical damage, but you best check the drive with a tool akin to spinrite before you trust it with your data.

BTW, I looked into backups but have not found a viable solution, any suggestions?

Zorro.
Old 7th October, 2001, 03:52 AM

Dam...

I have a 20G GXP & just ordered a 60G GXP... both new... I was hoping to replace the lame WD drives I have with something better...

Notice to signature reader: The entire physical universe, including
this signature, may one day collapse back into an infinitesimally
small space. Should another universe subsequently re-emerge,
the existence of this signature in that universe cannot be guaranteed.

Old 7th October, 2001, 04:52 PM

Any suggestions... should I cancel my Deskstar plans in favor of a better drive?

Anyone?

Notice to signature reader: The entire physical universe, including
this signature, may one day collapse back into an infinitesimally
small space. Should another universe subsequently re-emerge,
the existence of this signature in that universe cannot be guaranteed.

Tags
hard drive problem