AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd May, 2004, 07:29 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

i'd move the modem away from your pc too....i'm internet tech and i know how hot they run... should be able to cook an egg @ any time.
Old 7th May, 2004, 05:48 PM

Talking THe final straw (until payday)

Finally sourced a stronger more honestly spec'd PSU and hey - presto - stable system on a PNY 400W.

However - major graphics tearing problems on the most simple of games - took the card back - it was damaged......

Decided in the interim to buy a cheap FX5600 (90 quid) and wait until payday.

So - I have a new question. I plan to retain my ABIT IC7 MAX3 board, add 1Gb of DDR 400Mhz RAM, and buy some new kit. My shopping list is:
Graphics (FX5950 or equivalent)
Soundcard for Gaming only - maybe Audigy
New 17/19" TFT monitor (should I got DVI or not?)

Build a second PC for pro audio (I know the spec for that :-)

Any tips on trouble free P4 graphics cards around £300 plus advice regarding drivers in a nutshel are appreciated - meantime I will look through the forums.

Thanks once again to allwho assisted me.

By the way - Deus Ex runs at 45fps on my little FX5600 using the Nvidia forceware drivers in full 1024x medium detail. Joy.
Old 7th May, 2004, 06:15 PM
AOA Staff

DVI is best for TFT displays.

For gaming get a TFT display with a 16ms response time. This will probably restrict your choices to 17". Philips have designed and produced a 19" TFT with 16ms response time. It's expensive and not widely available. Dell were selling these panels in their own packaging, but I can't see them on their site anymore. If you want a big screen for gaming CRT's are still the best.

The FX5950 is very similar to a FX5900 - you could save money and get a FX5900. Or wait and get an nVidia 6800 or ATI X800. These new cards will be around the £300 mark and will be available very soon. They are about 100% faster than the 5900 or 9800 which is a major performance leap. Driver support for nVidia cards is generally better than ATI.
Old 9th May, 2004, 09:54 AM

Thanks Danrok.

I will probably order the nVidia 6800.

another Q:
if TFT response time is fixed - does that mean that the refresh is also fixed (at 60Hz)?

Thanx
Old 9th May, 2004, 11:23 AM
AOA Staff

Refresh rates are of no real relevance on a TFT. It's the response time which is important.

CRT's referesh the whole screen many times per second even if the image on screen hasn't changed. TFT's only need to address the area of the screen which has changed, so the screen doesn't refresh or flicker.

You'll see that there's still a refersh rating for TFT's which is usually 60Hz. I am no electronics expert, but I know that devices generally need to syncronise with each other and use cycles to do this. So I think this is just an internal thing which allows the card to sync with the display interface. Don't be put off by the fact that it is only 60Hz, it does not make things slow or cause flicker in any way. It is the response time which makes the difference here.

I have an LG L1710B 17" myself, so it's a Philips panel. Viewsonic are good as are NEC Mitsubishi and Sony. I like to buy Philips if I can because they invest money in inventing and designing new technology.

From what I've read the nVidia 6800 is slightly better than the ATI X800, but the ATi card is quite a bit cheaper. I haven't decided which one to get yet.
Old 10th May, 2004, 10:41 PM

Talking

Hi Danrok -
Thanks again for an excellent reply - three questions answered clean and simple.

I plan to buy philips 17" and nVidia 6800 plus the highend PSU.

Regards,

F
Old 10th May, 2004, 10:52 PM
AOA Staff

Sounds good. I am leaning towards the 6800 with 16 pixel pipelines. I think the X800 which is about to be released has 12 pixel pipelines. This explains the difference in price.