AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd May, 2004, 09:35 AM

Unhappy Brit in need of genius

Hi guys. Great forums. Have been trawling. Good stuff. Sorry u were hacked!

My Problem:
installed Gigabyte GeForce FX5950Ultra to run Deus Ex IW properly.

Can run it for 40 minutes then system shuts down. Non graphics intensive apps let me run for 2 hours. then the same - shut down.

SYSTEM BASICS:ABIT-IC7-MAX3 mb, Seagate Barracuda SATA ST380013AS, Intel 2.4 P4, 400W PSU, 512 DDR, and a HEADACHE! My fiance wants a break.

Any help most appreciated.

PS to the chiefs - good luck with the new dual Xeon and rebuild of site.

Last edited by frankie C; 2nd May, 2004 at 09:39 AM. Reason: to get notification of replies
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd May, 2004, 10:13 AM
AOA Staff

I don't have this game, but I think you are not alone in having troubles.

Have you installed the patch?

Have you had a look at their technical forum? Here http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdi...hp?forumid=127
Old 2nd May, 2004, 11:23 AM

Hi danrok,

Thanks for the tip. I have already tried most of the tweaks.

Deus Ex aside, I am having other power off issues, and I believe I may need extra ampage from the PSU.

Typical incident: switch on, browse net, play no games, talk nicely to my PC, one hour passes, PC dies. Triffic.

The main use for the PC is actually pro-audio production, so this little problem is stemming my creative flow as well as gameplay - so grateful for any tips.

Gonna try testing with another game - Call Of Duty.

Will post later.

TY
Old 2nd May, 2004, 11:45 AM
Member/Contributer

Hello frankie C, welcome to AOA forums.
It sounds like it could be a PSU problem to me. What brand and model is it? How are the voltages like? (You can use Motherboard Monitor or similar - perhaps some Abit monitor) to find out.

Are you overclocking anything when these problem occur?
Old 2nd May, 2004, 11:50 AM
AOA Staff

What type of sound card do you have?

Do you have an Audigy with the extra breakout box on the front of the machine?

Is your PSU an economy 400w. Bear in mind that the 400w rating is just the power consumption rating. It is the amps available on each of the voltages which is important.

You can check the actual voltages via the PC Health screen in the BIOS or by using a diagnostic tool in windows. Actual voltages will never be identical to the desired value, there is some tolerance. You may want to investigate tweaking your voltages in the BIOS, but great care must be taken. Seek advice before making any adjustments if you are unsure.

Given that you use your PC for audio production, I would highly recommend a top end PSU even if this isn't the cause of your current woes.

Do you have many USB devices which draw power from the PC?

The 5950 will draw a lot of juice.
Old 2nd May, 2004, 12:13 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
The 5950 will draw a lot of juice.
Yeah whats what I'm thinking too...
Old 2nd May, 2004, 12:30 PM
AOA Staff

As does a P4!
Old 2nd May, 2004, 01:43 PM
Member/Contributer

True, but it is "only" a 2400 MHz and even a cheap 400W should be able to handle it. Unless it is OC'ed, which changes the situation quite a bit. Hence my question in that regard.
Old 2nd May, 2004, 02:02 PM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

or what about a Shutdown Temp being set in BIOS?
Old 2nd May, 2004, 02:06 PM

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the tips and Q's. Here's the system spec. Also, presently I have removed soundcard and unneccesary USB until stabilised:

MB:ABIT-IC7-MAX3, GFX:GIGABYTE GF GF5950ULTRA, RAM:PNY 512 DDR 400MHZ, PSU:Q-TEC 400W DUAL FAN GOLD PLATED PFC LOW NOISE, HDD: SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA 7200.7 (ST380013AS)

SOUNDCARD (CURENTLY UNINSTALLED) YAMAHA SW1000XG (WITH SOLID GOLD AUDIO CONNECTOR MOD)

So far, I have managed to get to grips with a couple of things: 1, converted drive (newly installed) to NTFS - speed greatly improved. 2, GFX and MB drivers up to date (NVIDIA so far cos the detonators killed my system). 3, The system is totally stable unless I try to run Deus Ex (yeah yeah why am I playing games on a pro audio system). 4, since resetting BIOS settings I can't get the game to run: settings in BIOS currently are: AGP aperture size at 64MB (dont know what I am doing here so any knowledge would be appreciated), Video BIOS cache DISABLED, CAS Latency AND cycle length set at 3.

Before changing to the FX5950, I had no sytem instability problems, and following the bios teaks the system sits quite happily, even when playing FAR-CRY demo. Once I can get this thing stabilised, I will want to install the souncard but I appreciate and agree with your advice that I probably need a stronger PSU.

Thanks gents.

F
Old 2nd May, 2004, 02:07 PM

UPDATE - checked the CPU / CASE shutdown temp in BIOS - good tip, turned it up a little. By the way the case is aluminium and cool.
Old 2nd May, 2004, 02:16 PM
AOA Staff

Would recommend AGP aperture size of 128Mb - although this is unlikely to be the source of your problems.
Old 2nd May, 2004, 02:19 PM
Member/Contributer

I've had problems with Q-Tec PSUs in the past, but I hope you are in more luck that me.

Have you tried flashing/updating the BIOS? Have you re-installed your OS after installing the new video card?
Old 2nd May, 2004, 03:41 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

if your card has an optical out, it may be that that is causing the prob, i had the same issue and simply disconnecting the optical out brought the system back to life. (another psu let me get everything going). You may also want to have the psu tested, i had a client with the same issues with a 9200se and far cry, but on further research it was ANY GAME...after some really careful digging(you can check my thread on the issue) i found out that he had a motorola cybersurfer modem ON TOP of his case over the psu, and had cooked the psu, the cpu, the vidcard, and memory. His pc only stays on for about 2 hours, and should a game be played it switches to software rendering in any inside environment(the best ican make of that is that the lighting environments heat up the card. I think a sinlge mem chip or to on the back side of the card whas been cooked)
Old 2nd May, 2004, 04:54 PM

Arrow

UPDATE -

After a while of playing Far-Cry - same thing - dead PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
i found out that he had a motorola cybersurfer modem ON TOP of his case over the psu, and had cooked the psu, the cpu, the vidcard, and memory. His pc only stays on for about 2 hours, and should a game be played it switches to software rendering in any inside environment(the best ican make of that is that the lighting environments heat up the card. I think a sinlge mem chip or to on the back side of the card whas been cooked)
I have a USB modem on the top of the case too. Didn't change anything though after moving it.

I have simply decided to give up tweaking for the time being and buy a DECENT PSU (I have spotted some other threads with Q-TEC problem reports)

I have reinstalled the FX5200 for now, and playing at uber-low settings as usual.

Have set AGP ap. to 128 - better performance from fx5200. Thanks.
Also, in answer to Allan's question - all is up to date. Thanks.

So my question is:What PSU can you guys recommend? please see this thread for the rig details.

Any tips gratefully received.

Frankie

Last edited by frankie C; 2nd May, 2004 at 04:58 PM. Reason: bios info added
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd May, 2004, 05:01 PM
EPoX Tech

Enhance PSU's are good for the money as are HEC.
Old 2nd May, 2004, 05:05 PM

Nice tune

Hey Epox - checked out your tune - u write that? I am a producer. Nice clean mix.
Old 2nd May, 2004, 05:07 PM
EPoX Tech

Was just a mix I did at party last Saturday prior to breaking my leg. Just done on Vinyl with Technics this time.
Old 2nd May, 2004, 05:12 PM

Ah. Well, good mix then.
Anyway - pricing up Enhance PSU now - thanks for the tip.

TO everyone else who helped out, THANKS!

I will post my results after Bank Holiday (shops are closed - aaaargh)
Old 2nd May, 2004, 05:45 PM
AOA Staff

The following test might help you to establish if power is the problem.

Remove all side panels and leave them off.
Disconnect all case fans. Do not disconnect the CPU fan.
Position the case so that air can get to it. Don't put the panels back on.
Try again.
If the system no longer resets then you will know that there's now enough power.
If it still resets it may still be a power problem and disconnecting the fans wasn't enough.