AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd May, 2004, 10:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to sho0sh Send a message via Yahoo to sho0sh

New Pc will not boot into windows

Have just upgraded step mother's PC, has a barton 2500, 512mb pc2100 ram, 400watt powersupply and a pc chips motherboard. Just something cheap for her to get up and running with.
The thing will load up the bios, memory test ok. recognise the cpu - then it goes to load windows and comes up with "last time windows wasn't loaded properly what do you want to do?" and no matter which option I choose it restarts - it's very frustrating !

Anyone have any ideas what it could be
.... Will be arriving tomorow !
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd May, 2004, 10:43 AM
AOA Staff

So not even 'Safe Mode' works?

Sounds like you will have to reinstall windows.
Old 2nd May, 2004, 10:45 AM

Eek that is the last thing that wants to happen, I am going to try it with different components from my computer - long painful process but something has gotta work
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd May, 2004, 11:03 AM
AOA Staff

If you have data that you need on the drive take it out and install it as the slave drive on another machine and copy the files you need to the other drive. Then put it back and reinstall.
Old 2nd May, 2004, 03:32 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

if you have changed the mobo's chipset to a different variety, you are not going to get into windows...and even on the old machine, you may not be able to get into the "my documents" folder either.
Windows is evil...
your best bet is to take the machine apart, put it back as it was, reboot and back up your old files, if you can, and then do the upgrade with a fresh install..you'll find that windows runs with way less paged mem that way too.
you also want to make sure that the board is set to APIC and not PIC...this option in the bios sometimes leads to this issue as well.
i am thinking that she has a "BIG BOX" prebuilt machine?
Old 3rd May, 2004, 11:02 AM

Thank god I managed to do it without losing too much stuff.

Hooked the hard drive up to my personal computer as a slave, copied the stuff over and then I just put the hd back in the other machine and formatted it with windows, set it all up and sent the files back to it to test out the WIFI network i installed at the same time, all works great

Thanks for everyones suggestions.
Old 3rd May, 2004, 11:43 AM
AOA Staff

You're welcome.
Old 3rd May, 2004, 03:58 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

looks like you ran into the same issue i did..after changing boards 3 times in a week becuase of faulty boards, i could not start a "fresh" install of windows done with the last mobo...reformat showed me the prob(was chipset drivers). good old windows does not like many changes lol.