AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th May, 2004, 01:37 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

Thumbs down Random Reboots

my main rig (see sig) has strted to randomly reboot after about 15-20 min of playing bf1942, i also have FAH running in the background. it ran fine this way until about 2 weeks ago. when the comp restarts, i get an error message saying that a driver caused the reboot, and all of the "info" is sent to microsoft in that error reporting dialog.

could the recent warm weather be the cause of this? (although i only recorded 58C with a 38C ambient and full load)

i think i can provide the details ( the more info tab on the error reporting dialog) of the reasons for the crash if it will help fix the problem.
Old 6th May, 2004, 01:56 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

You know, I recently started having a similar problem. I've backed off my OC and I've been running stable for two days now, so I think that the change in climate with the coming of spring might be the culprit. Like temps never got that high (54C with my RBX, 49C with my direct-die), but I WAS pushing the system right to the limits, so much so that bumping my FSB by 2 MHz was guaranteed instability.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th May, 2004, 09:40 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

A small rise in ambient temperature can make what seems a disproportionate hike in operating temperature. Even if the increase seems small, looks can deceive.
Old 17th May, 2004, 02:25 AM
Member/Contributer

heh, i just noticed that people actually replied to this thread.
well, the avergae temp at full load has risen from about 48C to 51C as a result of the seasonal change. i backed off the OC to 2.8ghz and now its stable, no reboots. i wasalso pushing this proc. to its limits, 2.82ghz seems the highest it can go, no matter how much more voltage i apply.

and also a funny thing: if i take all OC off and run stock everything, the load temp is only about 49C, so its not like i have bad cooling or anything like that.
Old 17th May, 2004, 02:40 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianMissile1
heh, i just noticed that people actually replied to this thread.
well, the avergae temp at full load has risen from about 48C to 51C as a result of the seasonal change. i backed off the OC to 2.8ghz and now its stable, no reboots. i wasalso pushing this proc. to its limits, 2.82ghz seems the highest it can go, no matter how much more voltage i apply.

and also a funny thing: if i take all OC off and run stock everything, the load temp is only about 49C, so its not like i have bad cooling or anything like that.
I actually found in my situation that the problem wasn't my CPU OC at all; it was the cooling on my FETs. The fan I installed to cool my FETs for my VCore regulator wasn't running (came unplugged). Once I plugged it back in, everything stabilized again. I didn't take any temp measurements, but I know from past experience that those puppies will get up around 100C because of how hard I am pushing things. FETs don't turn on and off well at those temps, and caps tend to lose some capability as well.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th May, 2004, 06:03 AM
Member/Contributer

i have the TT smart fan 2 overhanging my slk800 and blowing all over those. the pwm temp is currently 46C at full load. i dont think it is those at all.
Old 17th May, 2004, 06:37 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

In your case, probably not.....
Old 17th May, 2004, 07:08 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Back off your mem timings a bit.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah