AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th May, 2004, 07:04 PM
AOA Staff

Ensure that the small case speaker is connected to the motherboard - else no beeps.
Old 17th May, 2004, 08:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to NeVeRmiNd

It is, . Hey Gizmo, did you ever get any beeps on this board using my speaker b/c I've never heard it beep before and that makes me think it might not be working.....lol.
Old 17th May, 2004, 08:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yes, your little piezo speaker works just fine. Sorry.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th May, 2004, 10:30 PM

Lol. good
Old 20th May, 2004, 09:38 PM

I got my new case and PSU. I hooked the 12v connector up and it still wouldn't boot. Any ideas?
Old 20th May, 2004, 09:49 PM
AOA Staff

What happens when you press the power button on the case?

Are you sure that the trailing lead from the button is connected to the correct pins on the motherboard?
Old 20th May, 2004, 09:55 PM

Yea. All the fans spin and the RAM light stays lit. No beeps from speaker though.
Old 20th May, 2004, 10:41 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

have you got the vid card connected?
what type of card is it?
what type of ram?
the led only signifies power going to ram.. not that the ram is working with the board. there have been a few issues with this line and ram, however it seems that every time i send them an email about the issue, shortly after(like 2-3 days) they have a new bios out.
i have never had an issue with any gigabyte board..but i'm sure between the heads here we'll get u running.
Old 20th May, 2004, 11:02 PM

Cool. Gizmo checked it out using all my parts (except proccessor) but I have went through 5 processors with this one comp and still can't get it to run! Thanks for your help. No beeps still
Old 20th May, 2004, 11:03 PM

Gizmo got the board to boot w/ my parts when I shipped it to him.
Old 20th May, 2004, 11:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Ok. Back to basics. Pull everything but the CPU off the mobo. When you get done, the only thing still attached to the mobo that wasn't there from the factory should be:

CPU and HSF, power cables from PSU, speaker, power switch from case.

Power it up. Any beeps?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st May, 2004, 12:12 AM

lemmee check after dinner
Old 21st May, 2004, 12:22 AM

No. No beeps. Does this mean only one this? The cpu is dead? How can this be? I've went through 5 that were tested! (well 3 of them were)
Old 21st May, 2004, 02:11 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Are you sure your not chipping the cores when your installing the HSF?!?!!?
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 21st May, 2004, 02:17 AM

lmao
yes
im using a shim
i know it doesnt guarantee it
but NO im not chipping it
lol
thanks.
Old 21st May, 2004, 03:47 AM

the other possibility is not enough contact between the hsf and the proc...ever power up a athlon with no heatsink?.....instantly cooked....even putting your finger on the proc will keep it alive...for a while...
Old 21st May, 2004, 04:06 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

How are you applying your thermal paste? Is it a nice even thin coat over the entire surface of the core?
Old 21st May, 2004, 05:45 AM

I outline the core edges then put some on top and the HSF sandwiches it and spreads it. Im gonna get another proc
Old 21st May, 2004, 06:55 AM

a few things...what is the dip switch set to for fsb? on or auto?should be auto.
make sure a clk ratio switches set to off(up)
does your psu have a 12v atx connector? there is one between the ports and the socket. no cable there..system will turn on but not boot.(this line powers the pci + agp)
replace the cmos battery if you can.
Old 21st May, 2004, 11:18 AM

Yes. Switches are al set that way and yes thw 12v is connnected.