AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th June, 2004, 08:55 AM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Talking

Probably 0, its build into my DFI lanparty, not looking forward to setting it up tho...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th June, 2004, 05:47 PM

I'v never seen one but fron what ive rad id recomend 3 or 5 (But youd have to buy more disks. I think you would neeed as many more as you ahve so a toatal of 4 120gb) With RAid0 id any disk breaks then the whole system is lost cuz the info is split up.
cost you a couple hundred bucks but if a disk goes out then u still have a backup.
Old 14th June, 2004, 06:25 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

RAID 3 is antiquated. You should use RAID 5 instead. RAID 5 has all of the advantages and none of the weaknesses of RAID 3. And I agree, RAID 0 is not a good configuration to use unless you don't mind losing all your data in a crash.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th June, 2004, 06:33 PM
AOA Staff

A better alternative to RAID 0 might be to get just one 10,000 RPM SATA drive which will give faster seek times.
Old 14th June, 2004, 06:43 PM

I dont really understand raid, its one of those things you always mean to read up on and never do. oh i so want some new memory! $$$$$$
Old 14th June, 2004, 06:56 PM
AOA Staff

RAID was originaly developed and intended for use on fileservers not home computers.

What RAM are you looking at getting Razorfish?
Old 14th June, 2004, 08:15 PM

Well all im sur about is its definatly gonna be Corsair,
maybe
Corsair TWINX1024-3200LL 1024MB 2 x 512MB Matched Pair i can get it for about £170 i think
Old 14th June, 2004, 08:35 PM
AOA Staff

Those modules would be good. What FSB are you running at the moment?
Old 14th June, 2004, 08:48 PM

Completely standard, if i go above 166mhz windows wont load, ive tried increasing cpu voltage, but no joy. i belive its a lost cause! hey i just installed the new ATI graphics drivers and it lowerd my 3dmark03 score!
Old 20th June, 2004, 08:50 PM

Talking

uninstall those drivers and get the new Omega drivers. they will increase your performance. and ATI supports those drivers because the guy who tweaks them is in close touch with ATI. anyways i'm setting up a raid 0 config with my 2 new SATA 80 gig 7200 rpm 8mb drives. i'm using my old 40 gig IDE drive to back up any important files incase the array fails. Also that ram would really help your system, i just bought 2x512 sticks of OCZ platinum LL pc3200 mem and all i have to say is wow compared to 512 generic pc 2100. I'm also working on flashing my 9800 pro to the XT ios compliments of Danrok
Old 20th June, 2004, 09:04 PM

Red face

I know, the memory is the weak part of my system and i suspect is letting down my overclocks. as soon as i get some cash together, ill be buying a 9800XT or X800pro and some Corsair memory, i hope....
Old 28th June, 2004, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
No worries!
If you've got both drives on the go there's some easy ways of gaining some more performance gains out of windoze. E.g. set temporary folder paths to the secondary HD.
I'd love to hear more tips like this. Also, where do I go to change the Temporary folder paths? Can I also limit the temporary folder size? I notice that mine fill up with TONS of files at times.

P.S. I'm currently having a problem with my new Western Digital 250GB drive. At first it only showed up as 137GB, then I used a "Lifegaurd Tool" from their website, and now it only shows up as 33GB! I thought I verified that I was in LBA mode, but I'll double check that once I get home after work.
Old 28th June, 2004, 09:24 PM

Its definatly worth a look, my mate and just set up a Shuttle Small form factor with the WD800JB, and like mine was set to auto and the drive didnt like it! changed it to LBA and its sorted just like what happened to me.
Old 28th June, 2004, 09:29 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignis
I'd love to hear more tips like this. Also, where do I go to change the Temporary folder paths? Can I also limit the temporary folder size? I notice that mine fill up with TONS of files at times.

P.S. I'm currently having a problem with my new Western Digital 250GB drive. At first it only showed up as 137GB, then I used a "Lifegaurd Tool" from their website, and now it only shows up as 33GB! I thought I verified that I was in LBA mode, but I'll double check that once I get home after work.
Screen shot shows where to change temp folder settings.

If your temp folder is full of junk - just close all applications and delete everyting in it.

Let us know if you sort out your drive size problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Western Digital Hard drives-screen.jpg  
Old 29th June, 2004, 02:45 AM

I had my dad come over. He is an IT guy. After a couple hours he gave up and said if he can't think of anything by tommorrow, he thinks we ought to just blow away my Windows XP and reload it from scratch.
Old 29th June, 2004, 04:15 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
i have run into situations such as yours...some omtherboard require an additional hard disk controller card to free up the available space.
if you used the DOS version of the data lifeguard tools, that would explain the reason why you ended up with 33 gigs.
i mean really tho...if you would have checked the western digital site , they have a half decent explanation as to how to resolve the issue.
Old 29th June, 2004, 02:07 PM

I did check their website. Where do you think I got the data lifegaurd tools? I also did some reading, but was unable to find anything that would help. If you found some specific information that you think would help, I'd be very appreciative if you could give me the link to the info.
Old 29th June, 2004, 05:52 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
I had my dad come over. He is an IT guy. After a couple hours he gave up and said if he can't think of anything by tommorrow, he thinks we ought to just blow away my Windows XP and reload it from scratch.
That does sound like the best thing to do.
Old 29th June, 2004, 07:17 PM

will post back with the page....
i'm in the middle of an RMA with a 600jb..
Old 29th June, 2004, 07:20 PM

ok...so on the bottom of the first page of tyhe teechnical support page is says :
<LI class=list>Additional Information http://support.wdc.com/images/sArrow.gifOS Partition Limits and Issues
http://support.wdc.com/images/sArrow.gifATA Interface Information
http://support.wdc.com/images/sArrow.gifOnline Forum
i picked OS partition limits and issues:
<LI class=list>Operating System and BIOS Limitations:
Computer operating systems and system BIOSs have separate limitations that are related to
specific drive capacities. The capacity points that can affect how your operating system and system BIOS support your drive are 137GB, 32GB, and 8.4GB. Below is a quick reference chart that you may use as a guide to determine the drive capacity supported by your BIOS.

BIOS Dates prior toMay not support drives larger thanAug 1994528MBFeb 19962.1GBJan 19988.4GBJun 199932GB
<LI class=list>A brief description of each limitation appears below:

137GB (128GB binary) Barrier:
On many systems, the IDE/ATA interface uses a 28-bit addressing which cannot
recognize more than 137GB of storage. To overcome this capacity barrier, drives
higher than this capacity have adopted a 48-bit addressing system which can be supported in newer computer systems with updated controller chips, BIOS codes, and operating system
drivers (refer to your system documentation for more details). If your system does not support drives of this size, you have a few options.
Solution 1:
Western Digital has included a controller card and drivers in many of our retail packaged drives that are greater than 137GB to address this operating system and BIOS limitation. During installation, drives larger than 137GB must be attached to the controller card and the drivers for your operating system must be loaded properly to avoid the risk of data loss. If you need a controller card, please visit our Online Store.

Solution 2:
If the BIOS of your motherboard or controller card supports the drive but Windows does not, see Answer ID 928
<LI class=list>
all this can be found here :http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....ted=1049500809