AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th June, 2004, 07:23 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

hope that helps you.
i mearly said you should have looked yourself, as it was linked from the first page i went to @ western digital's site.
thier drives may be crappy, but they have given me excellent customer support...i realized a long time ago that buying the JB line of drives gave a warranty that almost ensures that your drive will be replaced...HECK! even data lifeguard tools brought up a RMA form when it was done it's scan and had determined the drive defective!
so basically, if you used the dos datalifeguard tools, then your motherboard does not support drives larger than 33 GB. NTFS will recognize up to 137, so create a XP start-up disk and perform a F-disk and then format to get back up to 137 gigs.
you'll need that additional controller card that I alluded to in my first post in this thread, or a new mobo to get the drive's full capacity recognized.
or you could contact western digital, and ask them why you never recived a controller card with your drive; as i understand it , there are 2 versions of that drive, one more expensive than the other, because of the controller card.

Last edited by cadaveca; 29th June, 2004 at 07:29 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th June, 2004, 07:33 PM

as well, if you want faster load times for windows, delete your prefetch folder inside windows folder. best i can tell it's your pagefile, which, of course, windows cannot defragment.
i have a tool that defreg's my system files on boot....my buddy with the exact same machine, drives, lights(diff colours) and all, and mine still boots faster. he also has 6 fsb on me too.
Old 29th June, 2004, 07:53 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

does that work, you can speed up load times for windows just by deleting the prefetch folder???
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th June, 2004, 08:21 PM

yes, for start-up.
the best way to explain it is this.. if there are alot of files in the prefetch, and you only regularly run a few programs, delete everything in the folder(leave the folder) and reboot.
the first time the programs you use load up, they will seem slightly slower, BUT THAT IS ONLY FOR THE FIRST LOAD. no other files will reach the prefetch folder unless you use a new program.
this is all part of my weekly maintence on my machines...delete the preftech, temp and history folders, as well as temp internet files and cookies, and a defrag.
the system file defragmenter made my boots consistently faster than before...
Old 29th June, 2004, 08:30 PM
AOA Staff

You're a good system housekeeper cadaveca. That's all sound advice.
Old 29th June, 2004, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
You're a good system housekeeper cadaveca. That's all sound advice.
thanks danrok. the prefetch thing is my own thing, i don't know anybody else who does it. allows me to keep my system like a fresh install, minus the registry, of course, and i maintain that as well, but not quite so regularly.
Old 29th June, 2004, 08:37 PM

ive just been reading a mag on installing and maintain windows XP and they give a few things to do to speed up windows. ill list them now...
1. Turn off any firewire ports you dont use, (i dont use them on my rig anyway, they are system intensive when theres nothing in them!)
2. Enter 'services.msc' in the run section and this allows you to turn of stuff you dont need, like Messager
Old 30th June, 2004, 03:40 AM

Thanks for the continued assistance. When I first got the drive, I had these problems. So, my dad took the drive to his house and installed on his computer. He said it worked fine 'without' using his ATA133 controller card. Then, he came over here as I mentioned and now we somehow managed to get the drive stuck at 32GB. He took it home again tonight and now his computer only sees a 32GB drive. So, we're suspecting the drive may be faulty??
Anyways, after all that, I came here and read what you guys had updated. I asked my dad to try the F-disk idea with the bootdisk as you mentioned. He said he knew what you were talking about and said he'd give that a try and let me know. I'll try to post back tomorrow after I find out and let you guys know.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 30th June, 2004, 04:00 PM

Hope everything goes okay,
Old 30th June, 2004, 04:44 PM

if you follow the steps as i said you should be ok.
from what you have described,m your mobo could only support up to 33.gig partitions, and when you ran the western digital tools in dos, it created the partition of 33 gig and left the other space empty.
once your dad puts it in his (probably) newer machine, and fdisks it back, you WEILL STILL NEED A CONTROLLER CARD TO BE ABLE TO USE THE DRIVE TO IT FULL STORAGE CAPACITY.i could guarantee this if i knew the make and model of you mobo.