AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th June, 2004, 03:56 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Angry Western Digital Hard drives

Hi, ive recently bought two Western digital hard drives (WD400JB) and both of them dont work, bios recongnizes them but i couldnt install XP on eigther, i just got a message saying "Error loading operating system" ive sent them back to Ebuyer and im in the process of looking at buying a 80gb Maxtor diamondmax 9 7200rpm, do i need to run Maxblast 3 before i try to install windows XP??? i dont know about the seagate barracuda as its also a possiblity, they both appaer to be UIDE/EIDE what ever that is. so do i need special cables for my IDE??? please help hard drive totally confuse me. (windows is XP with SP1)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th June, 2004, 04:23 PM
AOA Staff

Are you sure they were detected correctly? It is very unlikely that they were both faulty.

Sometimes the BIOS auto-detect doesn't work correctly.

At what point did you see the message "Error loading operating system" ?

Were the disks running in LBA mode?
Old 12th June, 2004, 04:28 PM

rite bare with me on this one, right i installed one hard drive, looked in the bios, an primary master said, WD400JB, so changed bootsequence to CD, HDD0 to install windows XP, the hard drive formated and windows did its intial install, at which point the computer automatically restarts, rite. on restart the computer said error loading OS, so i tryied the other, exactly the same. so tryed to install again and neighter HD would format, hung at 20%
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th June, 2004, 04:37 PM
AOA Staff

I would say that the BIOS detected the disks wrong and used CHS mode instead of LBA. I'm as sure as I can be of this.

If you were to set the mode to LBA in the BIOS and then install and format, all would be well.
Old 12th June, 2004, 04:41 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorfish
the hard drive formated and windows did its intial install, at which point the computer automatically restarts, rite. on restart the computer said error loading OS
This is what you will usually see happening if the drive mode is wrong. The disk appears to have formatted, but it is formatted wrong. You may have noticed a larger than usual area of unformatted space, as well.
Old 12th June, 2004, 04:49 PM

ive just checked and the MB is set to Auto, should i change it to LBA and try again. ???
Old 12th June, 2004, 04:51 PM
AOA Staff

Yes, there's a very good chance that will do it!
Old 12th June, 2004, 04:51 PM
AOA Staff

See this thread as well:
http://www.computing.net/os2/wwwboard/forum/1437.html
Old 12th June, 2004, 04:54 PM

Red face

Danrok i love you!!!!!!! its accually installing windows again, not out of the woods yet but its looking good!
Old 12th June, 2004, 04:58 PM

ITS WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!
Old 12th June, 2004, 05:05 PM
AOA Staff

It's always the tiny simple things which create a major headache!
Old 12th June, 2004, 05:30 PM

Danrok, i would like to give you great thanks, what is the diffrence between LBA and CHS???? once again thank you! Nick Knowles
Old 12th June, 2004, 05:56 PM
AOA Staff

CHS is really an old legacy thing. I believe it is short for Cylinders, Heads & Sectors, where you would have to specify these parameters when installing a hard disk. It's many years since I had to setup a drive in this way.

All big modern HDDs will be LBA, so it is usually a good idea to set the mode to LBA manually when building a new computer - just to be sure.
Old 12th June, 2004, 06:02 PM

Thanks every thing is installed on my machine now and install times seem to be alot better, do you think its the 8mb cache making the diffrence or the fact my old maxtor was 5200rpm
Old 12th June, 2004, 06:11 PM
AOA Staff

The 7200rpm speed will make a big difference, the bigger cache will help a little.
Old 13th June, 2004, 01:49 AM

I have a 120 gb SEagate Baracuda with the Sati Interface. It works like a charm. ohh and it looks nice. If ur crazy then it looks like a good candidte to be window modded. ( It has a lfat top the goes ll the way to the sides.)
Old 13th June, 2004, 06:50 PM

hey danrok, drives working spot on! been playing BF1942 and veitnam for 4 hours and its improved performance no end! once again....THANKS DUDE!
Old 13th June, 2004, 07:19 PM
AOA Staff

No worries!

If you've got both drives on the go there's some easy ways of gaining some more performance gains out of windoze. E.g. set temporary folder paths to the secondary HD.
Old 14th June, 2004, 12:39 AM

sending the other back dude, id rather have some more memory! or a better graphics card! know what i mean.... plus i reckon ill go SATA RAID before the end of summer. thanks for the advice tho.
Old 14th June, 2004, 01:50 AM

Id like to have a raid will it be 1 or 0 or a fancy one. (i say that because 1/0 modes are build into most new mobos now.

Edit. i wont say most but nearly all the higerend ones. myne is fron asus.