AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 23rd June, 2004, 11:37 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

HD dead....

so last night i heard a whirr...tonk!
and then again....whirr...tonk!
scanned it using scandisk...did not complete..actually sat all night at about 60%
scanned using the OEM utility...it brought up a RMA form! COOL!

lol

Dear Rachel,(wrong name)

Thank you for your email. If you are inquiring about the status of your RMA, you can check it online from the link below.

RMA Status: http://websupport.wdc.com/websupport...in.asp?lang=en

Current turnaroud is 5 to 7 business days for a Standard RMA and 3 to 5 business days for an Advance RMA.

If you have been tracking your shipment and your shipping courier shows that the drive has been received by Western Digital and RMA status shows that the drive has not been received, it means that we have received the drive in our warehouse, but we have not entered it into our system. We are currently experiencing a delay of seven days in processing drives that are received into our warehouse. As soon as the drive is entered into our system, RMA status will be updated and show that the drive has been received. In addition, we will send you an email notification when your drive has been received into our system and when the replacement has been shipped. We apologize for this inconvenience.

If you are concerned about data on you defective drive, please see the link below.

Title: What happens to the data on the drive I sent in for an RMA and how can I retrieve it?

URL: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....ted=1053637589

If your question is not answered above, just reply to this email and we will respond to you promptly.

Sincerely,

Western Digital Service and Support

Discussion Thread
Customer (Rachel Rennie) 06/23/2004 12:16 PM
the drive's product number listed here is incorrect...it it listed here as a
BB (2mb buffer) rather than the JB (8mb buffer) that it is. Or does this
mean that i will only get a 2mb buffer drive in return?
----- Original Message -----
From: "Western Digital RMA" <westerndigital@custhelp.com>
To: <
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 12:25 PM
Subject: Western Digital RMA Confirmation for #

22 June 2004
Western Digital Return Material Authorization

Dear DAVE RENNIE,

This is a confirmation of your RMA (Return Material Authorization)
request. Please review the information listed below. Only products
and quantities authorized and within attached packaging guidelines
will be accepted. If this packing list is in error, please reply
to this email or contact us by phone prior to shipment.

Please make sure to view your pre-mailer at the link below for
information on how to package your drive(s) for shipment and for
the warehouse location where to ship your defective drive(s).

If you are returning a FireWire, USB, or Combo drive, please return
the drive in a plastic casing along with the power adapter and cord.
Keep all other cables, software, and manuals. In addition, please
write EXT RMA and include the RMA number.

Replacement drive(s) will be shipped to:

DAVE RENNIE

EDMONTON, AB
Canada

RMA Information:
RMA# :
Expires: 22 July 2004

Drive(s) Information:
Serial No. Product No.
------------ ------------
************ WD600BBRTL
Old 23rd June, 2004, 11:38 PM

Below is a response to your recent question. If the response provided does not answer your question, you can either reply to this message or go to the link below.

We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you within 96 hours.

Summaryquestion about the drive i am to recieve as RMA an details of drive being sent Discussion Thread Response (Reigneer)06/23/2004 12:51 PMThe bad drive with serial number WM********** is showing as a WD600BB in our database. Please verify the model number on the drive's label. If it says WD600JB, please send us a scanned copy of the label as a jpg file attachment, so we may check the drive's information.
Old 23rd June, 2004, 11:40 PM

i've sent them the pic..it's a 8mb drive and they want to give me a 2 mb drive.
fortunately they got back to me within 2 hours.
i just want MY drive working.

anyway to repair bad sectors? any tool out there i can try?
Old 24th June, 2004, 12:21 AM

Summaryquestion about the drive i am to recieve as RMA an details of drive being sent Discussion Thread Response (Reigneer)06/23/2004 04:19 PMI have submitted a request to change the drive in the RMA from a WD600BB to a WD600JB. Please allow 3-5 business days for the request to be processed. Customer (Dave Rennie)06/23/2004 03:46 PMPlease find attached the scan of the drive verifying that it is a JB model and not a BB. I would not have noticed the discrepancy, if it weren't for switching back and forth using Data Lifeguard Tools to get the serial # for the RMA form, and seeing it listed as a JB there. It was bought for the 8 MB cache. The drive was bought at Future Shop, located on Calgary Trail, in Edmonton, AB. The label LOOKS authentic, and there are 2 barcode stickers on the drive as well. If you would like any further info, I am sure I can get it for you.
I don't know what to do now...should I still send the drive? I thought that it being a JB(special edition) was the only reason that i was getting the RMA in the first place...the drive was bought in November of 2002, and had it been a BB, i would not have a warranty left. The JB's have a 3-year warranty, and that means my RMA should be OK, but you are saying it's a BB, which means it isn't...and i don't want to have to pay for postage and insurance for something that should be thrown in the trash to be recycled. Can you please advise me as to how to continue?

so i'll get my drive..however, what's the best way for me to recover my data?
Old 24th June, 2004, 12:47 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

a whirr and a tonk could mean that the motor inside the drive failed.
if the drive still works, scandisk in winxp can repair bad sectors.
Old 24th June, 2004, 02:02 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Whirr..............tonk, usually means that the servo electronics are shot, in my experience. If you can get another drive of the same type, you might be able to swap the controller board from the good drive to the bad drive and recover your data that way. This type of failure is fairly typical for WD drives, from what I've seen.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th June, 2004, 10:06 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianMissile1
if the drive still works, scandisk in winxp can repair bad sectors.
Scandisk doesn't actually repair bad sectors, it simply marks them as unusuable, so the OS doesn't try to write to them. If you have to run scandisk to map out bad sectors on a regular basis, then your drive is dying and you want to replace it ASAP!
Old 24th June, 2004, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Whirr..............tonk, usually means that the servo electronics are shot, in my experience. If you can get another drive of the same type, you might be able to swap the controller board from the good drive to the bad drive and recover your data that way. This type of failure is fairly typical for WD drives, from what I've seen.
yes, gizmo, it has been a problem(WD drives) , but when the drive has a 3 year warranty, it should not die in 2. It seems to be that the voice coil keeps resetting itself(the acoustic management part of the drive is hokey), and although the drive is ok when i first turn the machine on, after about 45 minutes the sound will start again. I managed, last night, to get about 70 % of the 60 gb back...400 bad sectors!
Old 24th June, 2004, 10:28 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
yes, gizmo, it has been a problem(WD drives) , but when the drive has a 3 year warranty, it should not die in 2. It seems to be that the voice coil keeps resetting itself(the acoustic management part of the drive is hokey), and although the drive is ok when i first turn the machine on, after about 45 minutes the sound will start again. I managed, last night, to get about 70 % of the 60 gb back...400 bad sectors!
Almost every WD drive I have ever witnessed this failure on failed at somewhere around 2 years old. Unfortunately, most of them were out of warranty.

As for the cold vs. warm thing, that DEFINITELY sounds like the servo electronics. Swapping the control board is how I managed to recover several drives that had this failure. In your case, though, it would also void your warranty. Since you seem to be able to get it up far enough to get the data back, it sounds like you are doing ok.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!