AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st July, 2004, 03:39 PM

Angry Blue screen

after slighty overclocking my XP 2000+ and playing command and conquer for about 3 hours, it wentblue screen on me (something about a memory dump). After restarting it, it asks the typical options: normal boot, safe mode, last known good config. But none work. It trys to start windows, but flashes blue screen again and restarts the computer. This happens for all of the options. HELP! whats the problem??????
Old 1st July, 2004, 03:45 PM
Member/Contributer

Welcome to AOA, sorry to hear about your problems.

Have you tried clocking it back to normal settings and then restarting again?
Old 1st July, 2004, 04:29 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

clear CMOS jumper as well
Old 1st July, 2004, 05:02 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Are you using Windows XP? cause ive had that problem a few times with my dads old machine, he was using a PCChips board and go memeory dump problems, changed the ram and it was fine.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st July, 2004, 05:26 PM
Member/Contributer

Also try stating a bit more about your machine specs. Mobo, RAM etc.
Old 1st July, 2004, 06:07 PM

sorry about the lack of details here is a general spec: XP2000+ at 1.67, ASUS A7V8X (refurbished) 256 DDR at 333 htz, XP pro, FSP at 2x 133 and memory bus at 2x 166.
when i overclocked it, i just uped the FSP to 135 i believe. After it blue-screened on me, i changd it back down to 133; however, still no response. i have tryed new memory in it, the same as before, and after that, it got a little bit farther in the loading process, but eventually went blue screen again and restarted.
Oh, and when i OCed it, i was getting CPU temps of about 67 celcius. I think the hotest it got was maybe 76. is that too hot?
and whats this about the CMOS? will that completly reset everything back to the original factory condition?

Last edited by sasquash72; 1st July, 2004 at 06:13 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st July, 2004, 06:43 PM

76 degrees is high but not killer. but above 80 you really start to worry. Yes reseting the cmos restores factory settings in the bios, and in most cases solves a few problems, to be honest im not quite sure about your problem but im sure if you keep checking back someone will sort you out.
Old 1st July, 2004, 11:58 PM
Member/Contributer

I'd try the CMOS 'trick' as well, it won't hurt.

The temperature is dangerously high if you ask me - what cooling are you using? And did you remember to use some thermal paste as well? (Only a paper thin layer is needed). Try running with the sides off the case for better ventilation for a while, and see what that does to the temps.

Worst case is very likely to be a fresh install of windows, or perhaps a repair if you can make that work.
Old 2nd July, 2004, 12:27 AM

YOou might try getting rid of extras if it doesn work. Did you try a boot disk. Ubcd is a good one. Ultamate Boot CD - It has all sots of programs for finding problems. It is designd for linux but has stuff for anything.
Old 2nd July, 2004, 01:36 AM

re-installed windows, but not without a glitch. So its up and running again. I didnt use any extra cooling when i first overclocked it, so i'm wondering if i damaged anything, but we'll see. thanks for the ideas, but what could it have been??!!
Old 2nd July, 2004, 07:38 AM

When ive gone too far on overclocks, windows has messed up, i think as a result of the overclock it must corrupt or loose some vital data.
Old 2nd July, 2004, 11:24 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Change the cooler, install a new good thermaltake and watch that the idle temps are below 55 Celsius.

Chris
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 2nd July, 2004, 11:26 AM
Member/Contributer

Yeah you really need to do something about the cooling. Perhaps just a couple of quiet case fans could do the trick?