AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th July, 2004, 01:21 AM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Angry Losing the will to live!

Right, big problems (again), last night my little 8-year-old cousin, in all his innocence (the little....!) unplugged my machine (DURING A DISK DEFRAG) to plug in the Play station! (Don’t you just love them!), well ever since my computers not been right, load up of windows XP takes an age! Where it used to take 1 scroll of the Windows XP bar it now takes about ten, and the welcome screen takes about 5 minutes to disappear! But that’s not it, when leaving my machine to just be content, I came back to find it in DOS saying weird stuff about BOOT failures and possible loose cables! What’s going on, ive read somewhere that some Western digital hard drives give up ghost after a while! But the hard drives only about 3 weeks old! HELP!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th July, 2004, 02:22 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

try defragging again...first..
if that don't work, backup, format, and reload.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th July, 2004, 03:28 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Check out your entire system, your cousin may have been more active than at first was thought...?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 14th July, 2004, 01:41 PM

Okay, update, i was having a look around the whole system and nothing seems to be out of place cables are seated properly and no leaks from the asetek system. so its the hard drive or windows, but something funny happened while i was checking, the hard drive started to make the noises it makes when its booting up straight after powerup! "series of clicks", windows is deperatly slow at the moment!
Old 14th July, 2004, 02:20 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

That hard disk may have suffered damage then - you probably want to back it up. Check the event log to see if there's anything untoward in there. Otherwise, it's a case of running the manufacturer's utilities over the disk to see if it can find anything.

BTW, did I mention backup?
Old 14th July, 2004, 03:11 PM

I not to bothered about backing up, my main machine is a purely overclocking and gaming machine, my other machine is my internet and word processing machine. I reckon ill format and try a new fresh copy of windows.
Old 14th July, 2004, 04:48 PM

i had a harddrive go on me:>( see if u'r cousin got a loud clicking sound from the pc when he unplaged it. i shutdown my pc everthing was fine untill i got a loud clicking sound just be4 it turned off i started it back up to see if it was ok but it just got to the windows xp bar then jammed on me but u r lucky to get to the desktop i had to start over from start again!!!!:>(

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
AMD HD7970 3GB asus DCPC graphics
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
1TB,500GB working over usb3
corsair HX850 psu
aerocool cyclone black case
window 8.1
asus monitor 24" 1920x1200 res.
Old 14th July, 2004, 05:12 PM

What, you reckon i install windows again? and if it dont work, probably something to do with the hard drive? its just before the switch off during the disk defrag everything was working fine and dandy!

Is switching the machine of during a defrag bad news ????
Old 14th July, 2004, 05:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

From the description you are giving, your drive is definitely dying. This particular failure mode is actually the ONLY one I have ever seen with a WD drive, and it is a popular one, in my experience. That's the reason I stay away from WD drives now.

Switching off suddenly might have had something to do with it. What the drive was doing at the time was probably almost completely irrelevant.
Old 14th July, 2004, 06:19 PM

on my old harddrive i done alot of downloads from kazaa so thats why my old harddrive
broke down. have u done alot of downloads if u have i would not waste time on instilling windows xp as it could be a waste of u'r time. i think it is around 2-3 hours on a ide system on a sata it's all done in 1 hour i could not beleave how fast it is:>)

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
AMD HD7970 3GB asus DCPC graphics
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
1TB,500GB working over usb3
corsair HX850 psu
aerocool cyclone black case
window 8.1
asus monitor 24" 1920x1200 res.
Old 14th July, 2004, 06:34 PM
AOA Staff

Did you check the disk for errors after the power loss?
Old 14th July, 2004, 09:40 PM

danrok: Did you check the disk for errors after the power loss?
Yes, i did and everything seemed fine, untill the crash to DOS.
sasrob:have u done alot of downloads?
No, not a single one as the machine is not on a network or the ADSL line.

I just dont know what to do!
Old 14th July, 2004, 10:06 PM
AOA Staff

Check that the BIOS settings haven't reset to defaults from a power problem. I have known that to happen during lightning storms. If he literally just pulled the plug out of the wall socket it may have sent some kind of spike through the PSU.
Old 14th July, 2004, 11:08 PM

Right installed windows... and its a little bit faster. a little... and no crashes...yet!. Ill check the bios tomorrow but its 11.20pm and im going to bed. hehe. i report back tomorrow. Thanks for the help. Razor
Old 15th July, 2004, 01:00 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I'm pulling for a good outcome for you RF!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 17th July, 2004, 03:53 PM
AOA Staff

Did you manage to fix it or are you still having problems?
Old 17th July, 2004, 06:57 PM

Still having problems, checked the bios = fine, checked memory with memtest = fine, checked hard disk with data life guard from Western digital = few errors which it managed to fix, really am loosing the will to keep it switched ON!
Old 17th July, 2004, 09:25 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

The 'clicking noise' was the start of a terminal error for a wd2000jb of mine. Started off with some things on the drive being corrupt. Reading and writing slowed rite down. I managed to get all the data off the drive that i wanted. I could faintly hear a clicking noise coming from the drive. I pulled it out and it sat on the side for a while. When building a server at the time i put the drive in and it was working just great. Windows was installing fine on it, came to reboot stage, computer did the normal startup stages and then just sat there.
After some poking around i found it wasnt detecting the drive properly (i had specified it before to boot faster) put it on auto and it reckons the drive is an 8GB using Pio mode 0. It was really a 200GB udma100 drive. It had given up the ghost completly. It sat on my shelf for about 6 months till i got round to rma'ing it to wd. Where it was delayed slightly due to sheer volume of drives returned apparently :-\

The death occured within the first 3 months or so of owning the drive. When it was dead all it would do is sit there and click repeatidly.

Ref to windows installs, err takes about 20mins to 1/2 hour to get xp on my main rig if that.

K
Old 18th July, 2004, 12:42 AM

Thanks keith, im more or less convinced that it is the drive, im gonna return it and get one of the raptor series.
Old 18th July, 2004, 12:58 AM
AOA Staff

I think thats about all you can do.