AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd July, 2004, 12:36 AM

Cannot load winxp pro

Can anybody help please,I have just upgraded my cpu from a thorobreb b 2100+ to a unlocked 2500+barton.the computer was rnning like a dream till I
changed the chip.I cleared the bios before I switched it on and when it fired up it showed the checksum error. I went into the bios and changed it to failsafe defaults and it would not boot.I even tried to reinstall the os but it loads till it says it is loading windows and then freezes.I tried to get it running with another disk that had xp on it and still the same.The original disk
was a seagate sata drive 120gig split into 3 partions,the other a wd 40 gig drive.Everything was perfect till i changed the chip.Any sugesstions please.

RDA+3
120gig seagate sata
prior to change xp2100+
512mb Crucial 3200
Old 22nd July, 2004, 01:57 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Do you know that the chip is good?

What does the BIOS show on the POST screen? Does it properly ID the new chip?

If you put the old chip back in, do things work right?

What BIOS are you running?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd July, 2004, 02:19 AM

cannot load winxp

Hi Gismo

Yes the chip OK,it recognizes it for what it is.I have not tried to replace the old chip yet.Ater i posted,i saw some similar happening regarding whether
the hard drive is being seen as LBA.I cannot really see that is the cause,because i always put my drives on auto in the bios and never had any
trouble.Yet I will try that tomorrow and set it as LBA mode.Thanks for the help.
The Bear
Old 22nd July, 2004, 02:22 AM

Gismo.

The bios is the last one issued for my board,Dec03 i think must be the last,when i try to upgrade it tells me.

The Bear
Old 24th July, 2004, 01:00 AM

Hi,since original I have tried bootdisk coms Xp boot disk to no avail,got to the end of six disk got as far as the starting windows then froze.Did the same with win2K.I have checked the disk with seagate discwizard and seatools and no probs with drive.The only thing is,it must be something simple that i have not thought yet,because Win98SE loads and no probs.Can anybody think of a simple cure that my brain has not inspired to yet.

Thanks The Bear
Old 24th July, 2004, 01:15 AM
AOA Staff

Did you try setting the disk to LBA in the BIOS?
Old 24th July, 2004, 02:31 AM

Hi Danrock,I am using a Seagate 120gig Sata drive,does not appear in bios
like ide drives.I did change the drive to a 40gig WD and altered the setting from auto to LBA,just the same.Gismo asked me if i had tried the original cpu
again but i have not tried that yet as this 2500+ seems to be OK,its running Win98se fine,no probs.
Thanks
PS.saying that the sata do not appear in bios,it shows in the silicon raid program.
Old 25th July, 2004, 07:51 PM

If it is a XP install you are trying, you should get the sata drivers on disk and when booting from Xp cd ,press F6 to install 3 party drivers, otherwise XP will not recognize your sata drive.

You might have ******ed this up when clearing CMOS.
2st TwinMOS-Winbond Original 256Mb PC3200
NQ4000 400WATT Super Silent PSU @12 - 17db.
CLUB-3D radeon 9600pro@450/700
92 mm PRC made chassis fan @7 volts
Built into a Compaq 5676 cabinet
win98 se

If you can't join them - beat them
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th July, 2004, 12:15 AM

Cannot load WinXP

Hi Stockhes,already did that,its just everything loads to the windows startup then freezes.
Thanks for the tip though
Old 29th July, 2004, 01:28 AM

Cannot load WinXP

HI Danrok

After all this time trying to troubleshoot this prob. plus tearing my hair I gave up and reinstalled the XP2100+.I just cannot fathom this XP2500+ out,it loads Win98se ok,shows up correct in the bios and yet still will not load XPpro.
I will most probably email AMD tech to see if they have had this prob mentioned to them,besides this chip is new,see if they will xchange it.

Regard The Bear
Old 29th July, 2004, 04:37 AM

hvee you tried a diferent opperating system.I dot know if it would help but their are several linux hot boot disks avalible. Meaning you dont have to install anything. Try knoppix. And good luck. I have little idea what oculd be happening. You might want to try getting a non sati hard drive. I have one and they are cute and all but somtimes they are a lil troouble. I still like them overall better.