AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th August, 2004, 06:20 PM

Building pc, but just getting continuous long beebs...help!!!!

I'm just building a new computer and I'm using these components

Diabolic Gaming MidiTower Without PSU - Red 1.00 112083

Q-Tec PSU ATX 400W Dual Fan PSU for PIII/AMD/P4 CPUs

EPoX EP-8K9A7i Mainboard for Socket A KT400A, ATA/133, AC97, ATX, USB2.0, LAN

AMD Athlon XP2700+ 2.167 GHz Socket A 333MHz, Thoroughbred, OEM

Spire CPU-Fan WhisperRock IV Socket A

SPA04B4 For AMD up to XP 3200 Mhz

Crucial PC2700 DDR-DIMM 256MB CL2.5 6ns

Unbuffered, Non-parity, 2.5V, 32Meg x 64

The problem is when I turn it on I am just getting a continouse long beebing sound.

I figured it was something wrong with the memory or video card, but I have tried bought in another system and they work fine...any ideas...please help
Old 5th August, 2004, 07:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Cyberey66

Describe the beebs and count them. Your bios is giving you beep codes and it will tell exactly what is wrong. This link lists all the codes, http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml#phoenix, I believe you have a phoenix bios, so hense the link to that part of the page. Please count the beeps and pauses and post them, there should be 3 groups of beeps with a pause in between. If not, its another bios, but still count them.

Also try just having 1 stick of ram, cpu, and a known to be working videocard, preferably pci, and hook just that up, nothing else. Short out the ps-on pins to power up the computer, sometimes its just some little component or something that is overlooked. Thats my first step in troubleshooting.

*edit* just noticed its your first post, just wanted to say WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! :-)

"skin and tragedy are the ways to attract a crowd"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th August, 2004, 07:32 PM

I'm actually getting a continues long beeping sound that keeps repeating after a long pause...it doesn't stop until I power the system off.
Old 5th August, 2004, 08:22 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

sounds like you have a faulty CPU..

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th August, 2004, 03:05 AM

I'm a trainee computer tech, and i can tell you every time i've had that sounded errior. It was the RAM it might just not be sitting right or faulty RAM. but please before wasting anymore money please try this.
Old 12th August, 2004, 10:26 AM
Banned

Hi there terra, Welcome to AOA forums!

Hmm, It does indeed sound like a faulty CPU or RAM. RAM beeps usually are short beeps with equally short pauses in between. If you can get your hands on a cheap CPU/RAM or for that fact, send them both back for a swap, and ensure that they have been put in properly, that would be a good way to find out.

In short - it is a very simple problem, just trying to get your hands on the bits that may be hard!

Cheers

Offie
Old 19th August, 2004, 06:53 AM

offie a long beep for 8 secionds the pause then 8 seciond beep after that is ram! you people really need to learn to time these things lol, but yeah and it could simply been that your not putting the ram in right which is what it sounds like to me, try 1 stick of ram at a time in different slots once you have tryed them all in a different slot each give up, walk away beat up your nearest sibbling till you feel better and then try again
Old 19th August, 2004, 07:35 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Have you tried resetting the CMOS? It's quite possible the default settings are not loaded onto your board and it might have OC'ed settings which may not be compatible with the rest of your hardware. I would also take binther's advice. Try reseating the memory a couple of times. Sometimes the slots are really tight and it takes a couple of insertions to get the stick to sit in just right.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......