AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st August, 2004, 10:07 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

Angry No Windows Boot

I just replaced the mobo in my main rig with a NF7v2.0 and the processor with a XP-M 2600+
The default settings for this processor are 15x133 @ 1.45v correct?

the motherboard does not detect the proccessor properly, so i put in the above settings.

the computer passes the POST screen, but it does not get to the windows xp pro loading screen with the blue bar running from left to right, it just restarts.

do i need to update the BIOS?

what is the problem and how can i fix it?

Last edited by RussianMissile1; 31st August, 2004 at 10:19 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st August, 2004, 10:12 PM
AOA Staff

Which version of the NF7 is it?

If you are trying to boot up with an existing installation of windows the old mobo drivers won't be any good for the NF7.
Old 31st August, 2004, 10:18 PM
Member/Contributer

nf7 v2.0

it is a fresh install of windows, except that i had it working with my older mobo, but with no specific chipset drivers of any sort.
Old 31st August, 2004, 10:27 PM
AOA Staff

It is possible to switch mobos without doing a fresh install, but that involves uninstalling the chipset drivers just before changing the board. I don't recommend it. It is always best to do a clean install after changing the mobo.

Also, I would recommend changing the HD setting in the BIOS from Auto to LBA. My NF7 v2 didn't correctly recognise my WD HD when I first fitted it.
Old 31st August, 2004, 11:23 PM
Member/Contributer

i cant find an LBA setting. all i see is auto, mode 1 mode 2, mode 3, mode 4
Old 31st August, 2004, 11:48 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

try asking gizmo.. think he is familiar with that board.
Old 31st August, 2004, 11:52 PM
AOA Staff

The item you need to change in the BIOS is called "Access Mode".
Old 1st September, 2004, 12:03 AM

try booting into safe mode as well.
even without installing drivers, windows does put some sort of driver there, ar the machine would have no way of accessing you HDD....and if your ide controller is different than the previos, this could be causing your prob.
i get similar issues with this board as well, but it is primarily when i take the fsb outa spec
Old 1st September, 2004, 01:56 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Have you tried to see if there is a BIOS update for it that supports mobile processors?

Also if you load failsafe defaults it will boot at it's default multi with a 100MHz FSB.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st September, 2004, 03:34 AM
Member/Contributer

Danrok -- i switched it to LBA. that did not work

Cadaveca -- trying to boot into safe mode just results in a restart after all those "lines" finish scrolling down.

Staz -- there are no bios updates yet that specifically say they add support for XP-Ms, but people have been using XP-Ms in NF7 type motherboards.

i tried using my knoppix cd to boot from. that works fine. i think i might have to reformat the HD to get it working again
Old 1st September, 2004, 04:29 AM

unfortunately, if it lists all of that, the only other thing you can do is boot from the XP cd, go to recovery console, and try fixmbr and fixboot. beyond that, should nothing else work, you have to re-install windows. It's unfirtunate, but that's the way it works. your copy of Windows is now locked, corrupted, or you have a driver conflict, which fixmbr should solve.

If it's XP home, and it reboots like that, it's generally the motherboard drivers, or an OEM lock. AFAIK
Old 1st September, 2004, 04:53 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

It should autodetect at something like 1.55 VCore or something like that. I've never tried running mine at less that that. I'm not 100% certain that the NF7 can properly regulate the VCore at anything lower than that. Have you tried booting with your VCore at the default that it shows after a CMOS reset?
Old 1st September, 2004, 05:47 AM

XP mobiles give default voltage of 1.575...this is what the mobile VID for 1.45 translates to anyway
sowhere's here i have a complete list, but i know for sure:
desktop setting/mobile VID translation
1.575/1.45
1.6/1.50
1.65/1.60
1.70/1.70
1.75/1.80
1.80/1.90
1.85/2.0

in other words, setting 1.75 in bios gives 1.8 and setting 1.85 gives 2.0. this is some of the reason that these chips are so overclockable.

*John Doe hears rumor, buys chip and mobo, sets to 1.85 and kills chip/system will not boot because of improper cooling. John Doe hits forums with "mobile will not overclock"....wonder why?
something you must be careful of......and i definately do not think this is what is happening in this case.
Old 1st September, 2004, 06:01 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

RM1, even though you didn't install chipset drivers, the initial WinXP install installs default chipset drivers. If your previous machine was not an nForce chipset, it will need either a new install, chipset drivers loaded by moving the disk to another machine and sticking the drivers where they belong, or a repair install. The easiest is obviously the 2nd option. The best might be the third option. The most time consuming would be the first option.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 1st September, 2004, 06:44 AM

lol i SAID THAT! lol
Old 1st September, 2004, 09:40 AM
Member/Contributer

win xp reinstall/reformat fixed everything.

on a sidenote, id like to say that now i know why Thermalright dosent make those "bolts" that go through the motherboard and attach to the backplate out of brass anymore.... they snap and crack in half. luckily i had a spare steel one.

xp2600M @2.0GHz @ 1.45v workin fine and stable. FAH will go back on it later today... its getting early.
Old 1st September, 2004, 10:45 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Glad your solution was found RM1
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic