AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th September, 2004, 04:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to 5|*42 Send a message via MSN to 5|*42

Annoying Firewall Plz Help

right after i reformatted my computer (bout 3 days ago) i began getting messages from my norton firewall saying an outside system was attempting to access my computer. the attacks were very infreqeunt at first. i download aaw, scanned several times w/ norton, downloaded avg (and scanned several times) and also downloaded tauscan and scanned, all of which found nothing. i knew i had tons of windows updates that needed to be downloaded (i have xp pro w. sp1a), so i figured id download those and then see what happens. what happened is that the attackes became more and more frequent, and it has become so bad that i am blocking all traffic with my firewall while i type this. so far i have noticed no systems problems other than the norton alerts, which are almost worse than a virus themselves. they come from several main adress, like 172.183.168.213 and 65.96.58.145 etc., but there is a : and a four digit number after the 4 sets of 3# in the adress, so it is basically worthless to tell norton to automatically block this alert. i need help; this is very annoying. i have aol, so my connection is not always running.
Old 18th September, 2004, 06:32 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Well doing a WHOIS over at network solutions told me this
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th September, 2004, 03:47 PM

i keep on getting 'we are unable to process your request at this time'. ill have to try a little later.
Old 18th September, 2004, 03:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5|*42
i keep on getting 'we are unable to process your request at this time'. ill have to try a little later.
Just try plugging in those IP addresses. I did it and basically it said that the computer trying to 'attack' yours was from within the AOL domain. Therefore, one might surmise that it's ok to unblock it.
Old 18th September, 2004, 05:00 PM

yep i got the same thing. also norton blocked a possible NetBus Trojan whoes IP was in AOL.
I dunno bout you but i find it pretty funny that norton autmatically blocks AOL things...myabe nortons on to something
Old 18th September, 2004, 09:36 PM
Member/Contributer

f-secure did that with my aol, I can't for the life of me think why aol needs to make netbui (I think thats what it was) conections, I wasn't even using the aol client just their dialler.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th September, 2004, 10:59 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I customised my NIS settings, so that it does not alert when unused ports are accessed. To be honest, that happens so frequently, I filter it out as background noise. That removes a whole bunch of alerts.

Well, it used to until I built a dedicated firewall machine.
Old 19th September, 2004, 11:40 PM
Member/Contributer

It's weird, ms's firewall seems to be doing a better job than f-secure did, I couldn't get that to block messenger service messages but the ms one is doing fine

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th September, 2004, 10:25 PM

disable messenger...unless your using it
Old 21st September, 2004, 12:16 AM
Member/Contributer

I had been stopping the service but now xp firewall blocks it. Don't think it's needed but while theres no harm being done.. if it aint broke don't fix it (I know not an appropriate term to use concerning windows )

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 21st September, 2004, 02:00 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
(I know not an appropriate term to use concerning windows )
If it's less broke than everything else, call it a feature and charge for it. LOL
Old 24th September, 2004, 05:19 AM

maybe you could try using zone alarm for your firewall...it's free and it works great. sometimes it can get annoying when it's always asking you if you want to allow a new program to access the internet or work as a server but other than that it works great. i've used norton before and had simialr problems and since i've used zone alarm it works great. just go to www.zonealarm.com.
Old 4th October, 2004, 10:54 PM

Or try sygate, not as user friendly, but more configurable. (Also free)
Old 4th October, 2004, 11:55 PM
Member/Contributer

I've not heard many good things about sygate, even the pro version isn't great
the pro version of zone alarm is great, but the free one looses many features
I've heard a lot of good things about kerio personal firewall http://www.kerio.co.uk/ it's free for personal use

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th December, 2004, 04:11 AM

i am in the UK, and I am connected onto ADSL with BT Internet (main telecoms co. in the UK)...

I have had a similar problem to yourself with my connection, my firewall keeps blocking packets to an external machine which i have found as a lovely piece of spyware which really does not want to be deleted. Now, that i have managed to remove as much as I can of the spyware (and a trojan) my machine seems to occasionally lock out all outgoing trafic, and then locks and blue screen of death :S

Strangely tho, when i have done a trace on the IP address, it heads strait to BT's own DNS server in Ickleford. Something strange going on me thinks. Well BT dont want to know, even tho the Ickleford Internet services have been having problems for the last month. maybe D-O-S.

Oh well, WinXP is being blown away tomorrow morning, and hopefully i will say byebye to this horrid thing once and for all!!!

Main machine                Gateway machine         Wifey's machine
O/S WIN XP Pro SP1              SuSE 9.2                WIN XP Pro SP2
CPU 2.8 Celeron D               1Ghz Pentium III        2.4 Celeron D
RAM 768MB PC2700                512MB PC133             512mb PC2700
HDS 40GB Excelstar              20GB Quantum Fireball   40GB
VID XFX FX6600GT 128MB          NVidia 2 MX400 32MB     O/B AGP Video
MOB Eliteforce ECS 661FX-M      DELL                    DELL