AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th October, 2004, 02:30 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Exclamation DFI Ultra Infinity Dead Again

Once again I have a dead NFII Ultra Infinity from DFI.

THe board has been great but after shutting down Tue it would not boot AT ALL on Wed. I mean nothing. This happened about 3 months ago and I had the board rma'd. Worked great after that. I have been running stable @ 2400 Mhz since then and have not changed any thing lately.

What happened you ask?
I was playing DOOM 3 for a while and let the temp level out and then did a normal shut down. Came in Wed morn to check email and nothing.
I have tried power supplies, a diff CPU, mem, removing the board completly everything I can think of. I am waiting on a reply again from DFI.

I guess my question here is,
has anyone had this issue with DFI boards before?
Any suggestions what to look for as to why it would do this?

Thanks folks and is is good to be back......

Last edited by Samuknow; 15th October, 2004 at 02:32 AM. Reason: add missing words
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th October, 2004, 03:50 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I guess the first question I would have to ask is, how are the temps?
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th October, 2004, 05:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

I know DFI have had some fromblems with "warped" sockets on most of the AMD platform but this sounds serious!
Old 16th October, 2004, 05:42 AM

Dfi

The temps were/are 36 ish with my water cooler. Never above 43 after gaming or such. This is with a digital probe.

I got an email back from DFI that stated to send them the BIOS chip and they will reflash it. Can this cause the board to be completly dead?

The only thing that I see on the board is the stand by led on the bottom. I checked the switch, as well as tried to jumper the power sw pins and nothing at all happens. I do not usually shut down my rig but I figured I would give it a rest. I let the temps run back down to norm. and did a normal shutdown. The next day nada. It just sits there and stares at me. Last time it did this I sent in the board and got a shiny new one that worked great until now. This stinks.....
Old 16th October, 2004, 08:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

If your BIOS flash is blown, it COULD cause the board to appear to be dead.
Old 16th October, 2004, 09:22 PM

Is there any way I can fix this myself?
Old 17th October, 2004, 06:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

You can try ordering a new BIOS chip from Di, they are easy to replace.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 18th October, 2004, 04:33 AM

I was told to send it back and they would flash it for me. This is obviously an issue as there were no questions asked. The tech also mentioned a bios savior. Something about being able to flash the bios in the future myself if it happens again....????
Old 18th October, 2004, 04:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Let us know how you make out!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 18th October, 2004, 05:27 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow
This is obviously an issue as there were no questions asked. The tech also mentioned a bios savior.
A BIOS Savior is basically a device that connects to the BIOS chip's socket. It's main aim is to provide an identical BIOS chip, with known good BIOS on it. That way, should the main BIOS become corrupt (as your BIOS may have), then you can swap over to the backup BIOS, and use that to reflash the main BIOS.

It is however, rather worrying that the machine has such problems.
Old 18th October, 2004, 05:51 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Please keep us up to date about your DFI motherboard, Samuknow.

I read that DFI has a two tier method of selling mainboards. The inexpensive ones have no warranty, the more costly ones come with a warranty. Is this a true story?
Old 18th October, 2004, 07:11 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I don't know this, but I would tend to doubt it. More likely is that they have a line of boards that are sold through OEMs, and the OEMs are responsible for service and support in the event of problems. That being the case, the OEMs can purchase the boards for a lower price than the standard retail DFI boards. But again, that is just a guess on my part.
Old 19th October, 2004, 03:33 AM

Mine has a warranty. I have had the board replaced once before. Exact same issue. Shut it down and never posted again. dead as a doornail. this is a direct copy past of the email telling me what to do.

"Sam this is what I am advising now the customer do as the whole board need not be returned.
Remove bios chip from motherboard and pack appropriately and include in the package your full return address and phone number and the "precise" name of board as seen 'when' downloading a bios and the Techs in CA will reflash your corrupt bios chip and return to you.

DFI SAN JOSE
30991 San Clemente St
Hayward, CA 94545
ATTN: OGIE
Let me make one more suggestion and it is to purchase you an item called a bios saviour. It is a piggybacked 'second' bios chip that is switchable from your main bios to a spare bios. RD1-PMC4 is the number and it is a very tidy solution to use in NF2 chipset motherboards. You get the thing and install on a booting computer and using correct procedure> you flash that spare bios and then after making sure it will at least boot the computer> you swap back onto the original bios chip and go your merry way with the safety of a spare and 'ready' bios chip to keep you from the headache you just are experienceing. I use the bios savior on "all" my NF2 motherboards regardless of brand as I have been saved by the bios savior at least 3 times from a failed boot that was unexpected.

So Sam having owned 4 of the DFI boards and one of Abit's premiere overclocking NF2 boards i just spent the little extra time and monies to get the bios savior and safely ensure myself against this intermittent set of circumstances. RGone...

Sincerely,
Robert AKA RGone...
robert@dfiweb.com
rgone@dfi-street.com "forum addy"
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/

I am still not sure about the part highlighted. I guess I will send it in and go from there. If this happens again I'm going back to Asus or Epox....
Old 19th October, 2004, 05:11 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Please remind me to buy a DFI mainboard tout de suite. There's also a Swedish outfit that sells a Backup BIOS system: http://www.eksitdata.com .

I wrecked a mobo by pulling its BIOS chip out in a non-approved manner. It's important to have a chip puller of the correct size.
Old 19th October, 2004, 11:56 PM

Wish I could read that. hehe...This has been a great board. The going dead part has been kind of a drag though.
Old 11th November, 2004, 01:39 AM

Well here is an update....
I sent in my BIOS and just got it back today. Guess what????? It still does not post. I emailed the tech support and got the sorry it sure sounded like the BIOS was the problem. Now they want me to RMA the board. This is what I wanted to do in the first place. I have not had the thing a year yet and already 2 dead boards. Has anyone else with a DFI board had this issue?????????
Old 11th November, 2004, 05:02 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I don't want to be negative, cough. Were this my board I believe that I'd refurb it in the manner that it has treated me. With a hammer, and up your's DFI.

While they do make a lemon once in a while, it's Asus or nothing for me.
Old 17th November, 2004, 01:33 AM

Talking

well said.....

If this happens again they will receive the board back in a box smaller than usual. I imagine it will sound like a rattle when shaken also....I will go back to Asus or even Epox after this.....

Sam

PS they did send me an RMA again. I was also told it was probably from running the board out of spec, and so on. Overclock or die......
Old 17th November, 2004, 09:26 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

That is a nice thing to do.... This way your mainboard will never have much dust on it !
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 17th November, 2004, 12:56 PM

How do you like that Epox board of yours? I have been looking at Epox as a replacement. I will probably get this one....EP-8RDA6+Pro.