AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th October, 2004, 08:31 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Unhappy Epox crashed

Guys this is unbelievable, this morning just before leaving for work I powered up my system to get my mail. It stopped where is saying what type of proccessor I have. Pushing DEL gave me no results. So I shut down from the button (4 sec) and when I powered up again the same thing happened. Ok I was becoming angry so I said in a minute I will set again the bios up so I cleared the cmos using the jumper. And after that just the sound of the siren. The strange thing is that usually when the clear cmos is succesful I can no longer start the pc using my keyboard, as I usually do, until I reenter the keyboard code for start up in bios. So normaly after a good clear cmos I will be able to start the pc only from the button. But now the button is off and I start the PC from the sequence on my keyboard. That makes me think that the cmos is not cleared, but then the PC is no loger giving me anything except for the siren..........I love that sound ( Boy am I in deep ....... I didn't have the time to get the manual and have a look at the two digit display so I cannot give you the error. What do you think happened? What can I do? Please help !

Sincerely troubled,

Yours...Chris

PS It's the same board - EPOX 8RDA +
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th October, 2004, 02:29 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Pull the battery, set the clear CMOS jumper for about 10 seconds, then reset it and power the system up; do NOT put the battery back in yet! See if that lets you come up.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th October, 2004, 03:52 PM
Benchmarker

When I get home tonight I'll do that. Thanks Gizmo. However I left the sistem with the jumper on clear cmos and powercable detached from PSU, but I didn't take out the battery, stupid me!!!

Chris
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 20th October, 2004, 04:33 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

You need to put the CMOS clear jumper back in the normal position before you power up. A lot of boards won't even POST unless the jumper is in normal position.
Old 20th October, 2004, 07:44 PM
Benchmarker

Yeah, I know that and unfortunately it's not the case. In my mobo if the jumper is in the clear cmos position it will not start at all. What pisses me of is the fact that after clearing cmos from the jumper I could still start the PC with the keyboard. Until now each time I did a clear cmos I wasn't able to start other than using the button.

Old 21st October, 2004, 04:35 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Really not a fun problem. Can you order a fresh BIOS chip for this mainboard?
Old 21st October, 2004, 05:49 PM
Benchmarker

Talking Solved

When I got home I checked the display and it was showing 50 and in the manual it says initializing USB or somethin' and no chance of a clean boot, the system stoped after showing the processor type. So I disconnected the cable modem (USB conection) and voila...the computer returned to normal. This modem gives me a hard time. What do you guys think it's wrong with this modem? Sometimes I have to reset the modem in order to make it work. It's a brand new Scientific Atlanta with telephony. Thank you Gizmo and thank you Cloasters for your input. Should I RMA the modem?

Old 21st October, 2004, 06:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Well, I think I would at least contact SA and see if they have any ideas as to what could be going on. They'll probably tell you it's a problem with your mobo, but maybe they have a firmware patch for it or something.
Old 21st October, 2004, 06:36 PM
Member/Contributer

The LED codes are great!

AOA Team fah
Old 22nd October, 2004, 07:44 AM
Benchmarker

Exclamation

Yeap, thank Epox for that. When I called the ISP last night and talk almost one hour they said....ohh I think the modem it's ok, try reinstalling the drivers. What happen when the internet is not working is that if I unplug the usb and plug in back it says "this usb device has malfunctioned, please contact........" and in the usb device manager it appears as unknown usb device. Ok....this may look like a driver problem but I can reinstall and uninstall 10 times the drivers but the same error it will appear. But when I reset the modem everything will be ok in just a few seconds without reinstalling the drivers!!! What the hell is wrong here?

PS This modem comes from my ISP

Old 22nd October, 2004, 07:53 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

If resetting the modem works, I'd forget about going to the trouble of uninstalling/installing its drivers. Sheesh, that was obvious, shuh!