AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th October, 2004, 01:33 AM

Exclamation Suspected BIOS problem, please help

Before I begin, I have an nForce2 MCP-T in an HP Pavilion 725n with 512MB of RAM and a 2.0GHZ AMD Athlon XP 2400+ running Windows XP professional edition service pack 2

I will attempt to explain this as best I can. I turned on my computer as I normally would and it decides to freeze at the BIOS startup screen, this is the point before it checks for boot devices. I decided to wait a while and see what happened so I hit F1 and eventually (about 7 minutes of being frozen) it brought up the BIOS configuration screen. I setup everything and hit Exit and Save. it told me at this point that no boot device was found and to insert one and press any key to continue.
I said sure, why not. So I put in my trusty Windows 98 SE Boot disk. Everything seemed to be going fine until I attempted to run fdisk. This is the exact message, "No fixed disks present" This annoyed me so I tried it again, and after waiting the 7 minutes of frozen hell I instead inserted my Windows XP install disk and it started up windows XP normally. Now whenever I need to get into that computer I would need to wait 7 or so minutes and insert the XP boot disk, this is obviously a problem. In addition to fdisk giving me that error I also tried to access the drives and they seemed to be completely ignored. I suspect the hard drive is the culprit.

What I tried:
Replacing the BIOS battery -- No change
Flashing the BIOS driver -- Not sure if I did it correclty, I moved the two jumpers neerest to the BIOS battery one space right, waited ten seconds then moved them back. This changed my startup screen to the "HP Invent" logo and made me setup the BIOS in its config.
Replacing the Hard Drive -- No change

I checked all of the hardware components and they seem to be seated fine.

THIS COMPUTER IS NOT OVERCLOCKED

Last edited by Reziarfg; 29th October, 2004 at 01:39 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th October, 2004, 02:13 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Try disconnecting your hard drive and see if the boot wait goes away. If it does, check to make sure that your master and slave jumpers are set correctly. You might also try a different IDE cable. Lastly, try a different drive.

I've seen problems with the XBDA cause a similar issue, but since you cleared the CMOS that should have cleared up if it were the problem.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th October, 2004, 02:21 AM

Thanks for the help, I'll try replacing the IDE cables and checking the jumpers, I did say I flashed the CMOS but I was unsure if it worked properly. If anyone knows the nForce2 and can help me properly flash the CMOS than please help out. Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: By using the isntall CD for Windows XP I managed to begin the Windows XP installation in order to rule that out. I hit enter "To set up Windows XP now" I agree to the ToS then I deleted the C: Partition and hit Enter to install on it. Low and behold, an error.

"To install Windows XP on the partition you selected, setup must write some startup files to the following disk:

Unkown Disk

However, this disk does not contain a Windows XP-Compatible partition.

To continue installing Windows XP, return to the partition selection screen and create a Windows XP-compatible partition on the disk above. If there is no free space on the disk, delete and existing partition, and then create a new one.

To return to the partition selection screen, press ENTER."

I freshly created the partition.

Last edited by Reziarfg; 29th October, 2004 at 02:29 AM.