AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd February, 2002, 06:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to killem1x1

I'm dead in the water :(

KA266plus Died please help...
Last night I unlocked my 1800+, placed it in my system, and it ran fine for 5-6 hours, had all multipliers everything was great. I woke up around 2am and saw a BSOD, so I rebooted, and started playing with settings. I chose the 11.5 multi and rebooted, and the system wouldn't start. Got fans, but nodda else. I get the initial system beep, and the screen goes a dark shade of green, or replace video card, and get blocks of black and white.
Here is a list of what I have tried:
Cleared CMOS numerous times
Replaced vid card
Replaced cpu with a 1.4 bird
Replaced RAM
Disconnected everything but RAM,CPU, and vid

I'm certain I have tried everything but the PSU, but the system wouldn't do this if it is PSU, would it.

Please help if possible
Old 3rd February, 2002, 11:04 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Aaack. This ain't a fun problem. At this point, it looks like the PS needs investigation. If the one in the box now isn't "one of the better quality one's," as in it's not on AMD's approved for Athlon XP list, maybe it's the culprit.

The K7 family suck an unbelievable amount of current from a PS. Then again, maybe the mainboard got a baad attitude. Sorry, I'm not much help.
Old 4th February, 2002, 01:47 AM

Took the mobo out, laid everything out on a wood table, and tried a different PSU, still the same, guess I'm doomed, man this is like 5 mobos in 3 mos for me, 2 Asus, 2 Iwills, 1 Shuttle. I'm dying over here
Ofcourse all were different problems, except for the iwills. They have been very flaky on me. The only "good" ones I've had this past year are epox, and Soyo.
Old 4th February, 2002, 10:38 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Ouch. This is too many mainboard failures, obviously. Is there a chance that the backs of these mainboards are shorting by touching the case? If you've used all the brass standoffs that can be used with the particular mobo, and the tray underneath the board isn't distorted... Well, that's not the problem.

What about your PS's? While some folks get away with cheap-Charlie power supplies with modern AMD processors, it doesn't follow that you or I can.
Old 5th February, 2002, 06:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

That really sucks for you, but I find it funny that soyo actually stayed alive for you. I've had more soyo boards dead, than anything. Maybe you have really dirty power that's killing your stuff.
Old 6th February, 2002, 02:35 AM

I took the shuttle, and the iwill back to my retailer, and they gave me complete store credit. Cool! I brought home a new 500w PSU, and an Asus A7V266-E. I'm playing with it now. having a problem changing multipliers with my 1.4 bird, but other than that it seems like a sweet mobo.