AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd February, 2002, 06:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to majestic

98 cd rom disapearing act

Ok i have had this i the past and have over come it but i seem to have forgotten how i did it as soon as i have installed 98 and rebooted for the initial settings the CD ROM which i install 98 form seems to go walk about’s and wont reaper i have tried reinstalling in dos i have tried loads of stuff but nothing seems to work there is some thing simple if i remember right but i just cant remember what exactly if any one can help i would be great full thnax

:.majestic.:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd February, 2002, 09:09 PM

Hi Maj, Seems like you need the IDE drivers installing
either from a floppy or download them to the Hard drive
Sometimes if you can disable DMA to the offending CDROM in the bios, this makes it reappear, but remember to turn it back on again when done.
hope this helps
Old 3rd February, 2002, 09:13 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

If you boot off a bootdisk, and start the installation, then find your CD-ROM drive disappears after a reboot, it sounds like the DOS driver for the CD-ROM isn't there.

Two possible fixes..

1. Add the CD-ROM driver to the config.sys file (The oak file), and MSCDEX.EXE to the autoexec.bat file.

2. Copy all the Win98 setup files to the harddisk, and run the install from the HDD.

I prefer the second, as it means that Win98 doesn't request the CD again when you install extra stuff, as it's all already on the hard disk, as long as you don't delete it.

AidanII
Old 4th February, 2002, 02:07 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phil

it does sound like it's just the first boot having not installed the necessary drivers for the ide devices, I know that in win95 I had to make an msbatch.inf file that copied the cdrom driver to the hd and made autoexec.bat and config.sys files with the dos cdrom drivers being loaded and then after that windows rem'd them out.
I've been installing win98 from the hd so I don't know if it's the same.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th February, 2002, 02:10 PM

Yes, but by loading the drivers in DOS (autoexec.bat and config.sys) your wasting memory. I think this may help:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q159556

or

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q151911

"If you can't make it good, make it look good." - Bill Gates, 1995

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Enlight EN-7237 AZ MT Case
Gainward GF3 Ti200 64MB Power Pack Golden Sample
Adaptec 2940UW
Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB SCSI
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
Iomega 100 Internal Zip SCSI
Sony CPD-E500 21" Trinitron
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface
Old 5th February, 2002, 12:42 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phil

Quote:
Originally posted by nullCRC
Yes, but by loading the drivers in DOS (autoexec.bat and config.sys) your wasting memory.
Yeah but it's only during the install, and it's only a few kb

Old 7th February, 2002, 03:57 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to CNUCompGuy Send a message via AIM to CNUCompGuy Send a message via Yahoo to CNUCompGuy

aigh, your best bet would be to go with Aidan's 2nd suggestion....when you boot to DOS, just copy the WIN98 CD to your hard drive and either install it from there, or if you don't want to install it again, just direct windows to the folder you put these files in when it asks for the win98 CD....after it finds the drivers on the CD you will have no problems runnin CDs, good luck :-D
Old 7th February, 2002, 09:04 AM

I usually put it in C:/windows/options/cabs
Thats where windows usually looks for drivers, also, you only need to copy the contents of the win98 directory on the cd to that folder, the just run the setup file from your hdd and it will install quicker too (no copying from cd-hdd anymore)

Dogs can never have too much fun! See Marge, Weee, weee, woo! wayhey! weeeeeeeee!!! -Homer
Old 7th February, 2002, 02:16 PM

And you have no conlicts, question marks, or exclamation marks in Device Manager?

"If you can't make it good, make it look good." - Bill Gates, 1995

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Enlight EN-7237 AZ MT Case
Gainward GF3 Ti200 64MB Power Pack Golden Sample
Adaptec 2940UW
Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB SCSI
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
Iomega 100 Internal Zip SCSI
Sony CPD-E500 21" Trinitron
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface
Old 7th February, 2002, 07:10 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

For an unknown reason, Win98 loves to pull the "duuh. Where's the cd-rom?" trick once in a while. This, along with "I can't find emm386.exe," or "himem.sys" are its favorite horsepocky activities during the installation process. Thanks, BBBBB!

AidanII's suggestions are spot on.
Old 12th February, 2002, 01:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to DHarris75 Send a message via Yahoo to DHarris75

Man...I wish I would have known that before.

I had that problem w/ 2 OEM CD Drives and I couldn't find any way out of it. I would be able to start the install, it would copy files, reboot, and then say can't find Win98. So I just went and bought a Creative Labs CD and it all came up roses. But my other 2 drives are pretty good also for OEM, so I wasted like 80 dollars or whatever it was. That was a while back...used Win2K and WinXp since then