AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th November, 2004, 10:40 PM

BSOD Win2K SP4

Win2K SP4, Intel P4 2.8GHz, 512MB, MSI MS-9249 1U Server rackmount system
BlackIce and SyGate software firewalls.

I have a BSOD problem that I'd like to try to pinpoint instead of just trying to reinstall the OS so I don't have to setup IIS again etc.. This is a webserver box (MSI 1U rackmount) that I'm developing on right now and intend to place into production.

I have a suspicion as to what's causing the BSOD but the software vendor says no way (the first time I installed their software I got my first BSOD about 10 minutes later). Problem is I need this software for my IIS system.

I've ran all the memtest programs (no problems reported) and my last try was removing RAM stick #1 and placing RAM stick #2 into slot 1.

Got another BSOD today.

I see that the BSODs share the 'address that referenced memory' location.

Today:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.
If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.
Arguments:
Arg1: 00bc6558, memory referenced
Arg2: 00000002, IRQL
Arg3: 00000000, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
Arg4: 80437d8c, address which referenced memory

the last BSOD was:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.
If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.
Arguments:
Arg1: 00bb2190, memory referenced
Arg2: 00000002, IRQL
Arg3: 00000000, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
Arg4: 80437d8c, address which referenced memory
Old 26th November, 2004, 06:18 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

A belated welcome to AOA Forums, DanB!

Your question isn't easy, I apologize for the lack of an answer so far. C'mon gurus!
Old 26th November, 2004, 06:50 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

What software do you suspect is causing the problem, DanB?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th November, 2004, 08:01 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

You can try this thread.
HTH.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th December, 2004, 03:51 PM

Got another BSOD 12/09 with the same 'address that referenced memory' location. I wonder why the location doesn't change. Could this be some kind of memory controller issue and not software related?

The suspect software is called JspISAPI (http://www.jspisapi.com/) which lets me connect IIS with a Java webserver. Again it's suspect only because after installing it I got my first BSOD on this system.

Does Microsoft offer BSOD dump file analysis for Win2K?
Old 10th December, 2004, 04:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Windows 2000 Server cd has the crashdump analyzer program on it. Otherwise, I think you can download it from MS. I could take a look at the dump for you myself, but such files tend to be HUGE.
Old 10th December, 2004, 05:48 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL stops are very indicitive of a driver problem or faulty hardware. Without knowing how they've implemented their ISAPI module, it's hard to know what exactly is going on.

If you've run memtest86 against the system and it's not found any fault even after ramping through all the tests, it would tend to indicate that the memory and controller are just fine. That would rather lay the suspicion on the JspISAPI module, but it might be rather hard to prove.
Old 14th December, 2004, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
I could take a look at the dump for you myself, but such files tend to be HUGE.
Thanks for the offer Gizmo. I used the analyzer tools but can't figure out anything. Since I only have one 512MB RAM stick in right now for testing the dump file is only 512MB so it would fit on a CD.

If you still feel like giving a peek I could snail mail it or put it on my FTP server.

Or I could post the results of the dump here.
Old 14th December, 2004, 05:06 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Unfortunately I'm right in the middle of some things right at the moment. Give me about 3 days and then we can look into it.