AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th November, 2004, 06:57 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

Hard Drive Clicking

What does this actually sound like?
Old 20th November, 2004, 08:25 AM

regular clunking noise about 3 times a second- caused by the heads resetting when they can't find a sector.
If you think you can hear something like that plus get pauses when loading something, download your HD manufacturers fitness tester and test the drive.

Old comp KT7A Axia 1ghz @1.38GHZ,
GF3 ti200, Compaq 910 19" Monitor
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th November, 2004, 09:36 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Back the hard drive up NOW!!!! It will die VERY SOON on you. If you can RMA it, your going to down to do as Lord V said and run the software and give the code to the person on the phone when you arange that.
HTH
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th November, 2004, 06:20 PM
Member/Contributer

i just noticed that while i was burning the backup cds, the drive was barely clicking at all (maybe just once or twice per minute)

but yesterday i could hear the clicking over the sound of my SF2 on my cpu.
Old 20th November, 2004, 06:22 PM
Member/Contributer

what would be a good replacement for a Western Digital 120GB - 8MB cache drive?

i was thinking along the lines of a 74GB WD Raptor; so i can finally use the sata ports on my nf7-s.
Old 20th November, 2004, 09:58 PM
Member/Contributer

raptors are good and if you are willing to fork out and need the performance then go ahead, the 74gb drive is the better option as well
if performance isnt the be and end all then i recomend either the maxtor plus 10 sata 200gb (cheapest per gb) or perhaps the new seagate drives that are coming soon (up to 400gb) both of which i beleive are native sata and perform very well and aer much more economical than a raptor if you need storage space

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th November, 2004, 10:36 PM
Member/Contributer

i dont really need storage space, just enough for windows and several games, with space for future games.

i would also prefer faster speed to more space, because im having trouble filling my 120gb drive thats dying, what would i do with 400gb?
Old 21st November, 2004, 12:04 AM
Member/Contributer

then as long as cost isnt an issue the raptors a good choice they are only around 30% faster though

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 21st November, 2004, 01:57 AM
Member/Contributer

meh, might as well have an uber 1337 computer instead of just a 1337 one.

they have a $25 rebate on it in newegg, so it comes out to $152.
Old 21st November, 2004, 02:08 AM
Member/Contributer

do newegg do overseas? because their prices are so much better than anything over here

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 21st November, 2004, 02:17 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
do newegg do overseas? because their prices are so much better than anything over here
I wish they did but unfortunately they dont! How about some of us UK folk get together and request our kind friends on the other side of the pond send us some stuff out? Would the warranties be honoured by say Western Digital or AMD here?

AOA Team fah
Old 21st November, 2004, 04:23 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianMissile1
what would be a good replacement for a Western Digital 120GB - 8MB cache drive?

i was thinking along the lines of a 74GB WD Raptor; so i can finally use the sata ports on my nf7-s.
Regardless what you get, you should make sure that you cool the next drive that you get. Back when I got my WD 80gig 8m cache, I also got the faceless wonder one (natalie) I build her box not thinking that she would be leaving it on 24/7 and I build mine KNOWING that I would bee on 24/7. Thusly I made sure that I put a cooler on mine, and did not on her's.

Well, it turns out that she did leave it on 24/7 (for me, it was folding) and after about 6 months it finally started the "death click" Mine was running fine, and still do this day is.

I strongly believe that it had to do with simple $8 cooler that I attached to the sucker. I've found that putting a fan infront of the drive will help quit a bit as well. I've touched an HD without a cooler on it that's been running 24/7 and I godda say they get pretty damn hot. Mine with the cooler, only get's warm. Mine also has the fans built into it. I even took those out and just having the heat sync on it makes a ton of differance.
HTH
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 21st November, 2004, 08:03 PM
Member/Contributer

i have a case fan blowing over the death clicking drive now. it was working fine for about 1.5 years before this click.
Old 30th November, 2004, 08:58 AM
Member/Contributer

clickedy-click! its getting louder and more noticable!!!!........

i already have backups of all i need. i have a replacement drive (the raptor)

im just trying to let this one die so i can swap in the raptor shhhh!!! dont tell
Old 30th November, 2004, 04:07 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianMissile1
clickedy-click! its getting louder and more noticable!!!!........

i already have backups of all i need. i have a replacement drive (the raptor)

im just trying to let this one die so i can swap in the raptor shhhh!!! dont tell
If you are just waiting for it to die..... opps sorry. If youare just waiting for it to die then why not install the raptor now and use norton to ghoast the failing one on to the new one.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 30th November, 2004, 07:33 PM
Member/Contributer

i dont have norton ghost and the new one is actually at home, i dont physically have it in front of me, but it is in my possesion. i am in college, it is at home.