AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th December, 2004, 06:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

CMOS checksum error

I jus assembled a system comprising of the following components:

ABIT KV8Pro
Athlon 64 2800
512 OCZ Performance Memory
Maxtor SATA HDD
DVD-ROM
DVD-RW
9600XT
on boot up i just get the screen shown below:

The screen show the correct processor and amount of ram but says "CMOS Checksum error - defaults loaded" the mobo post code is 7.F which in the manual says:

"Switch back to text mode if full screen logo is supported

-If errors occur, report errors& wait for keys
-If no errors occuror F1 key is pressed to continue : Clear EPA or custimization logo.

Ive tried clearing the cmos but the same happens,
Whats wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
CMOS checksum error-cmos1.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th December, 2004, 06:46 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

You might try enabling the Full Screen Logo option in BIOS.
Old 10th December, 2004, 06:55 PM

Thats the problem, i cant get into the bios! Delete and F1 dont do anything?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th December, 2004, 09:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Try disconnecting all of the hardware EXCEPT the video card and keyboard. (BTW, is this a known good keyboard?)

Also, how did you clear the CMOS? Did you do it by using the jumper, or did you remove the battery as well?
Old 10th December, 2004, 10:02 PM

Okay,

I reset the cmos only using the jumper.

The keyboard is good but ill try another

And when you say all hardware you mean, no memory and hard drives just the CPU, MOBO and video card?

What causes a CMOS Checksum error?
Old 10th December, 2004, 11:23 PM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

u need the ram(memory) to b able to boot into cmos and the checksum error occurs when your date and time is not set.
Old 11th December, 2004, 03:18 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

No, you'll need the memory to POST. But the basic idea is to disconnect and remove anything that you don't have to have in the machine in order to POST and hopefully get into the BIOS.

To be honest, I'm just grasping at straws.

A lot of things can cause a CMOS checksum error. Some BIOSes will report a CMOS checksum error when they can't detect a hard-drive (no kidding! Saw this on an OEM Phoenix BIOS once), but usually is is because the contents of CMOS memory don't match with the checksum stored in the memory.

See, it works like this. You take every byte in the CMOS (minus the bytes that are going to hold the checksum), and you add them all together. You can accumulate the result in an 8-, 16-, or 32-bit register; just depends on how big a checksum you want to calculate. Once you've got that number, that is your checksum. Now, XOR that checksum with -1, and store the result somewhere in the CMOS memory. At this point, when you start up, you run the exact same calculation that you did before, but this time you run it over ALL the CMOS memory (including the spot where you stored the checksum). The result should be 0, through the magic of binary math. If it isn't, you've got a problem.

Checksums like this are extremely easy and fast to calculate in software, but they are also brain-dead stupid when it comes to detecting errors. CRCs (cyclic-redudancy checks) are much better, but the algorithm is quite a bit more complex, and the results can be affected significantly by the seed (the starting value) and the polynomial coefficient. Fortunately, CRCs have been around long enough that there are standard ways of implementing them that minimize those issues. 32-bit CRCs are pretty solid, more than adequate for every-day use, and quite fast to calculate on modern hardware. Unfortunately, they still aren't used in modern BIOSes to protect the CMOS contents AFAIK.
Old 11th December, 2004, 12:57 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorfish
Thats the problem, i cant get into the bios! Delete and F1 dont do anything?
Hi there, I hate when this happens. Last week one of my coleagues flash a new bios into an Asus mobo and it fail verification. After that it failed to start because the cmos checksum did not match. Our chance was that this mobo had crash free bios function and the driver cd for the mobo also had an os and the ability to rewrite the bios in case something goes wrong. otherwise no go. I wonder why are they still making motherboards that can't restore the bios to a good state???
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 11th December, 2004, 04:11 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I was hoping it hadn't got jacked enough to need a BIOS flash, but that is what I am thinking as well, Chris.
Old 11th December, 2004, 08:18 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

i have almost the same board RAZORFISH..seems we might have another competition on our hands!

Anyway, turn off the main power(or unplug the powercord to the psu), remove the cmos battery, connect the jumper to clear, leave for 10 seconds, and then replace everything. Make sure the red light in the corner is on. power it up....and let us know what happens.

On the ABIT boards, you have to fully disconnect power to get a reboot to the POST screen after "failed settings attempts". Sometimes it will try to reflash the bios, provided you have a cdrom connected.

I'm using the latest bios, but some have said ver 17 does better. 17 had me stable @ 220HTT and 1100 HHT-to-AGP, but the ver19 is a tad more "tight"...and gets slightly less mem bandwidth(can't figure out why, as the mem controller is on the CPU!)
Old 12th December, 2004, 12:13 PM

Well good news, i did what gizmo and cadaveca said and pulledthe battery, i did the mother of all cmos clear and left it over night, came back popped the battery back in and put the jumper back on after about a minute and switched the computer on holding Delete and guess what.... we have BIOS!!!! Thanks.... just now have to work how to get the SATA drives to be recognized!

Edit, every thing fine and dandy now, got windows to installed and and now sorted. Machine runs great. Thanks again. Razor

Last edited by Razorfish; 12th December, 2004 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12th December, 2004, 03:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Glad you're up and running, Razor!
Old 12th December, 2004, 03:58 PM

Yeah i well happy, everything seems great... i honestly though this one was dead i really did. Sort of what Xerohour was saying, i almost gave up and look... the guys at AOA saved my ass again.... Thank you all.
Old 13th December, 2004, 05:14 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

"Sometimes they come back!" ":O} Glad you had luck with you! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 13th December, 2004, 09:22 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Red face

Good 4 you Razor, very happy to be wrong!!!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 15th December, 2004, 05:54 PM

Just thought id give you guys an update, machines been running fine for a couple of days now! everything seems to be great... Final last words LOL. But anyway... Thanks again AOA