AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 17th December, 2004, 02:58 PM

Another Caps Victim

Well looks like I have fallen victim to the capacitor gods, auuggghhh my Epox 8k9a2+ (which really wasn't that great of a board to begin with but I didn't see the problems alot of people experienced) has decided not to run any more, at first I thought it was just a power supply problem but after looking at several caps I noticed the tops where bulging and the board refuse's to do anything, but I should tell the whole story it all started when some power lines out front of are house starting arcing after watching the light show for an hour or so I remembered both computers where running so I ran in and unplugged them even though they where plugged into surge protectors. The next day I went to turn both back on and couldn't get the epox to boot or for that matter do anything no led lights no nothing so thats when I started uplugging stuff from the the board I've seen where one bad cd-rom can keep a whole system from starting, so I finally got everthing unplugged except the processor and heatsink fan and still nothing, so here I am wondering what in the world is going on and all of a sudden huge sparks from the power supply (raidmax 550w) it scares me half to death I can barely get the damn thing unplugged so I think well thats obviously the problem so I go out pick up a new power supply and plug everything back in and hit the power button and nothing......So here I go again unplug everything and still nothing so I think maybe I just bought a bad power supply so I plug it in a spare msi board I had laying around and it fires up perfect, now I'm back at square one so I start looking at some of the capaciators and notice about five with bulging tops but they are not leaking, after a quick search on bad capaciators I find the web site badcaps.net the pictures they show there are the exact same looking caps as ones on my epox board so looks like I may have too fallen victim to bad caps, I going to try and fix them but really don't want too, I rather just buy a new (different) board but I'm worried that I can, I was running raid 0 on that board it's the highpoint hpt372 controller so does any know for sure if I'm going to be able to move this array, maybe raid pci card?? if you think this should work what board would be a good replacement does any one know off hand if epox or for that matter any good board maker is still useing that version or a compatible version of highpoint, I may write highpoint and ask them what to do, because I'm stuck without my computer and out of ideas. Well Thanks again to everyone who has helped me in the past here.
Old 17th December, 2004, 11:01 PM
Member/Contributer

hmmmm....I thought Caps died gradually over time and the irregular power that day may have just topped them?
You may be able to get your local Epox tech to repair the caps then you could backup your drives and get a new board if you didnt like one you had.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th December, 2004, 11:26 PM

Have the same problem at my work, different MoBo (40 comps). We're replacing the caps for economic reasons . So far we're 2 for 2 on repairing them.
Old 18th December, 2004, 03:38 AM

hmmmmm, nearly ever post i see on the fourm to do Caps Victims is from epox boards.
Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi nForce 680i
Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 2.4ghz
CellShock 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz
2 x BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3 SLi
Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 3200KS
Tagan 1.1kw Turbojet Quad SLi
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Saitek X-52 Pro edition
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th December, 2004, 07:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Repo Man Send a message via AIM to Repo Man

I've seen two Abits die because of bad caps. One was my trusty KT7A. I tried repairing it, but it was flaky afterwards. I think I waited too long, causing other components to be damaged.

My 8K3A+ had four capacitors located near the MOSFETS that got bulgy. I replaced the motherboard before they burst, and recently replaced the caps. I'm happy to report it is running (and folding) just fine.

I ran that board at over 2.0 volts vcore for quite some time. That is far out of spec, and I suspect it caused the cap problem. We run things out of spec at our own peril. I'm only running the 1700 in it at 2.0 GHz, which only takes 1.85 vcore. Hopefully it will continue to fold for some time to come at those settings.

It is the dull man who is always sure, and the sure man who is always dull.
H. L. Mencken

Last edited by Repo Man; 18th December, 2004 at 09:24 AM.
Old 18th December, 2004, 08:25 AM

The boards blowing caps at my work are MSI (all exact same boards purchased at the exact same time).