AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th January, 2005, 06:44 AM

Fans spin but no post, no beeps...

Hi everybody,

A short while ago my computer just died. I was browsing the net and then suddenly the mouse froze. A second later the whole thing just shut down. The system was working fine before, but now I can't get it to boot. I've narrowed down the problem to being either a bad CPU or Motherboard, since I'm not getting any sort of beep code, yet the MB leds light up and fans start spinning. Still, in the case that it could be bad ram or powersupply, I bought a new stick of ram and a good powersupply (400W seasonic tornado). This didn't help though.

Here's my important system specs:

-athlon64 3000+
-DFI lanparty ut (socket 754 MB)
-one stick of 512Mb pc3200 ram (tried two different ones)

System was running fine for 2 months.

So... does anyone have any ideas? How can I tell if the problem is the CPU or the motherboard? Would a faulty CPU give a beep code?

THanks for the help
Old 5th January, 2005, 07:13 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ELRocco Send a message via AIM to ELRocco Send a message via MSN to ELRocco Send a message via Yahoo to ELRocco

try swapping out the cpu or mobo with another computer
tobitsi dvd-rom, cyberhome dvd-rw dl 16x16x4
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th January, 2005, 07:19 AM

I'd love to do this, except that I don't have another cpu or motherboard lying around. I'd have to buy another part. Is there any way other way to test if it's the cpu or motherboard? Would there be any beeps if the cpu was damaged?

Thanks!
Old 5th January, 2005, 11:19 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

From this site
Quote:
THE POST TEST

Each time the computer boots up the computer must past the POST. The following is the procedure of the POST:
1. The first step of POST is the testing of the Power Supply to ensure that it is turned on and that it releases its reset signal.
2. CPU must exit the reset status mode and thereafter be able to execute instructions.
3. BIOS must be have readable.
4. BIOS checksum must be valid, meaning that it must be readable.
5. CMOS be accessible for reading.
6. CMOS checksum must be valid, meaning that it must be readable.
7. CPU must be able to read all forms of memory such as the memory controller, memory bus, and memory module.
8. The first 64KB of memory must be operational and have the capability to be read and written to and from, and capable of containing the POST code.
9. I/O bus / controller must be accessible.
10. I/O bus must be able to write / read from the video subsystem and be able to read all video RAM..

If the computer does not pass any of the above tests your computer will receive an irregular POST. An irregular POST is a beep code which is different from the standard which can be either no beeps at all or a combination of different beeps indicating what is causing the computer not to past the POST.
It has been my experience that failure to boot plus no beep codes is a CPU problem, but this is not always the case. The only way to know for certain is to swap them out with other components. Typically there are no beep codes in the case of a broken CPU.