AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st January, 2005, 09:03 PM

New PC - black screen on TFT on bootup?

Hi guys

I decided I would build another PC for second room. I decided on a ASUS A7V8X-X and a Sempron 2200. My father got parts yesterday and fitted everything while I was out, everything went in OK and no problems.

Came to start it up, fans on, green light on motherboard and computer 'boots' but nothing on my TFT monitor or no BIOS beep. If I unplug it from graphics card port I get a 'No Signal' message on the TFT, but when I connect it goes to a black screen and then the monitor light goes to standby. There is no BIOS beep but there is power as the light is on and fans are working.

I initially thought it was because this is an A7V8X-X and BIOS needs flashing to get a Sempron to work in there, so tried an old Duron in there from another PC but I still get the no BIOS beep and black screen on TFT and then to standby. I have tried another graphics card in there (both 1.5V AGP as stated in manual) but still same problem. I have tried changing RAM in different slots, still same. The monitor, graphics cards and Duron CPU work on a different PC, so it is not a parts fault. I've run out of things to test.

Any ideas guys?
Old 21st January, 2005, 09:14 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Unplug everything from the mobo, and then install JUST the CPU and HSF. In this configuration you should get AT LEAST a POST beep indicating no RAM. If you don't get that, then you've got a problem with the CPU, PSU, or mobo.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd January, 2005, 02:32 PM

I tried that, there does seem to be a beep but very faint. The computer sounds like its booting as the sounds are in right sequence (HD clicks, slight beep from speaker etc.) but just a black screen on monitor and then goes to standby. The CPU works in another system, so it cant be that. I dont think its the PSU as it still boots the computer/fans/LEDs etc.

Anyone any other ideas?
Old 22nd January, 2005, 03:59 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Does the monitor give you an "Out of Range" message then shut off?

If so you will need to hook up a CRT monitor and install the drivers for that LCD then boot with the LCD.

If you don't get anything, what cable are you useing? If you are using the DVI cable it won't put out a digital signal until windows loads the video drivers. It may be asking for something befor that that you are not seeing.

If you have a CRT try hooking that up to eliminate all the potential problems inherant with LCDs

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd January, 2005, 07:30 PM

No, no out of range message. I also tried it with a CRT, but still the same black screen and then to standby. I'm stumped...
Old 22nd January, 2005, 08:15 PM

What video card is it? What rating is your PSU??
Silver Cooler Master Wave Master
2 GB PC3200 Patriot EP DDR|Antec Trio 550W
Sapphire X1900XT 512MB|Cat 6.10|Sceptre x22wg-Gamer 22"
X-Fi XtremeMusic|Klipsch ProMedia 2.1|Sennheiser HD-535
Logitech WingMan RumblePad USB|Logitech G5

Compaq R3000Z 3400+ 2.2 GHz (1.25V), 15" XGA, 64 MB Geforce4 Go 440
1 GB PC2700, 80 GB 5400rpm, Wireless G, 8X NEC Burner
Old 22nd January, 2005, 08:18 PM

OK here is my suggestion for this oneisconnect the power cord.Plug the power back in and then boot, using a CRT monitor to be dure it is not an LCD issue Remove all the cards and drives from the system, remove all but one ram stick. Re-seat your AGP video card, then clear the CMOS on your motherboard. Reboot with a CRT attatched rather than the LCD, just to eliminate that as a problem. If this doesn't work, I recommend removing the mobo from the case and trying the same sort of minimum hardware test. hope this helps - if it doesn't work, try the video card in a different machine and the processor as well, then you at least would know which component is bad. Oh - and this is kind of silly, but make sure the power supply is set to 120 V if it has a switch.

AOA Team fah
Old 24th January, 2005, 02:38 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums!
Any joy, RickBaker?