AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th January, 2005, 02:20 AM

I've found window's ME for sale in Canada. What if I installed that if I could get it?
Old 28th January, 2005, 02:29 AM

yes or no to windows ME?
Old 28th January, 2005, 02:30 AM
Member/Contributer

so the plastic casing bit is the part getting too hot to touch but the heatsink isn't?
if this is the case then it sounds like poor contact between the heatsink and the cpu and so your problem could be down to overheating
Attached Thumbnails
Massive problems-slot1a.jpg  

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th January, 2005, 02:31 AM
Member/Contributer

if you have 64mb or more then ME would be ok, but it will be slow on less than 64mb f ram

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th January, 2005, 02:32 AM

Other side where the cable is coming from
Old 28th January, 2005, 02:34 AM

Comp came with 64mb, but 3 more memory cards were added, beside the processor.
Old 28th January, 2005, 02:40 AM

On one of my other machines, I am running a PII with just a Heatsink, and that only just gets warm, so I am guessing that is mostly your problem.

What are the other possibilities for the processor to get so hot? You said you bought it second hand a few months ago, and going by some of the other posts on here, could it be overclocked? Would it be worth reseting the bios just in case?

Where is it you actually live, i have a few spare PII chips here that might be worth a try if you live in the UK...

Main machine                Gateway machine         Wifey's machine
O/S WIN XP Pro SP1              SuSE 9.2                WIN XP Pro SP2
CPU 2.8 Celeron D               1Ghz Pentium III        2.4 Celeron D
RAM 768MB PC2700                512MB PC133             512mb PC2700
HDS 40GB Excelstar              20GB Quantum Fireball   40GB
VID XFX FX6600GT 128MB          NVidia 2 MX400 32MB     O/B AGP Video
MOB Eliteforce ECS 661FX-M      DELL                    DELL
Old 28th January, 2005, 02:43 AM

Not in the UK. I don't know how to reset bios. Even my video card(built in to the motherboard) gives me trouble now. My fault with that, I tried installing a different driver, and can't get back to the one that's actually on my comp. Rage Pro AGP
Old 28th January, 2005, 02:52 AM

I don't even know what bios is. I keep hearing about it though.
Old 28th January, 2005, 02:57 AM

The heatsink and fan are removeable? What if I bought a new one?
Old 28th January, 2005, 03:05 AM

Let me get this straight....The processor is the skinny part, and the heatsink is the part beside it that takes up all that room?
Old 28th January, 2005, 03:16 AM

What in God's name is a bios, and what does it do, and what am I supposed to do with this piece of crap I call a computer? Replace the heatsink? Reset the bios, however that's done? Get a new computer? I've already bid on Windows ME. Besides the fact that I want a better OS, I don't want to be wasting money, if I win the bid, if I find out the OS is not the problem.
Old 28th January, 2005, 03:45 AM

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. NOT! My comp would not stop crashing there, and everyone left. Half an hour my comp was screwing up there. The heatsink gets hotter everytime this stupid thing crashes, and reboots. Why can't I get a straight answer?
Old 28th January, 2005, 04:23 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Mostly because you aren't properly prepared to receive one. You need to do some basic homework. You need to get a basic grasp of what a computer is. You also need to learn some manners. No one is obligated to help you here.

In the short term, your probably best off taking it to a repair shop... or get a book on basic computer hardware.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 28th January, 2005, 04:41 AM
Member/Contributer

dear god I went to watch a film for a couple of hours man I woulda been back least I know to save my efforts now.
I was working towards getting an answer it's not the easiest thing trouble shooting via typed messages, especially when the other person isn't too experienced (this isn't a dig at that by the way)

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 28th January, 2005, 05:55 AM

Kris, you posted at 7:00PM, my time. Give us some time. I have a couple PII's of this type with and without a fan. If yours does have a fan unit, remove the processor. There should be some releases on the top and bottom to remove just the fan (and surrounding casing). There might be a build up of dust on the actual heatsink causing the overheat.

BTW, to reset the BIOS, locate the battery (looks like a watch battery) on the motherboard. There should be a jumper near it (a little plastic piece connecting 2 out of three pins). It should be labeled on the board with "clear" or "reset" next to one pin. Move the jumper so the clear pin is connected. Be sure to unplug the computer first. Wait about 30 sec, then move the jumper back to the original pins. Plus it back in and turn it on. It will probably give an error message about the setting and how to access the BIOS to set it back up (Time, date, etc).

In all honesty, sounds like overheating or bad hardware and I doubt the BIOS reset will help. Try adding another fan and cleaning the CPU first.
Old 28th January, 2005, 03:44 PM

OK it sounds like the heatsink isn't making good contact with the processor. Either that, or the machine has been overclocked! What speed does the machine say it is running? On top of the processer (the black cartridge thing)it should be labled with some number and leters that identify the cartridge, that info would help too.

AOA Team fah
Old 28th January, 2005, 04:47 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

P2s don't really get seriously hot - I had (until recently) a P2 450MHz Dell system that had a large, passively cooled lump of metal interfaced to the CPU with toothpaste that ran solidly.

A lot of the problems you have just sound like Windows98 to me. It's never been the most wonderful of OS. Your only bind is that if you run Windows 2000 on a system slower than 400MHz then it'll take 'til the next ice-age to start up in the mornings. The irony with Win98 is that sometimes the very software required to protect it (virus checkers, firewalls etc) are the very pieces of software that render it unstable.
Old 28th January, 2005, 05:51 PM

My deepest apologies for my behaviour last night. This computer is very fustrating. It's given me nothing but grief this morning, and I've been trying for half an hour to get it going.

The heatsink does have a fan. The processor is an SL2S5. Should I be getting rid of the software I installed? I downloaded Avast antivirus yesterday, and now I can access the one particular website I couldn't before.

My processor speed is 333mhz, with 3 added memory cards. As for the bios, I can't see it so I don't know where it is.
Old 28th January, 2005, 06:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

There you see, you've already grasp one of the essential truths of do-it-yourself computing - IT CAN BE VERY FRUSTRATING! LOL

The way one (Usually) accesses the BIOS is upon re-boot, as your machine starts up hold down the "Del" key. This should take you to a main BIOS page. BE VERY careful and don't change ANY values in your BIOS Until AFTER you've carefully written down EVERY THING you see on all the BIOS pages. This will give you a baseline to work from. Later on you'll learn what important and what is less so to keep track of.

Not to worry about last night, I was shorter than I should have been with you. One of my favorite machines was frustrating me a bit! LOL

BTW a BIOS is a "BASIC IN AND OUT = BIOS" It tells various pieces of hard ware what resources are available and when. Think of it as an electronic traffic cop. Naturally there's a bit more to it than that
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic