AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th January, 2005, 06:24 PM

Thanks. I'll check it out now, and try to figure this out.
Old 28th January, 2005, 06:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Please do continue to seek help here. NO ONE should have to learn this stuff on their own! ":O}

But the guys who have been working with you have a lot of experience in hand holding and have put things to rights for countless numbers of people like you and me.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th January, 2005, 06:36 PM

Ok, so if I managed to get into the bios page, it was totally useless. I don't know what I'm looking for, and it doesn't give much information.
Old 28th January, 2005, 08:09 PM
Banned

Beginner Help

Kris

Might I suggest a little beginners tutorial to help you along. If you can..go to www.overclockers.com. Select "tips& techniques" and select "beginners guides". Read thru some of the articles. Look around for topics that relate to the parts you are trying to find/figure out.

The guys on here are pretty amazing when it comes to making a diagnosis. However, as you are finding out, computing has it's own little language/jargon.
The better you can describe what you are experiencing, the better they can help you.

ALSO, some problems are simple and quick...UNFORTUNATELY most require a good bit of "head scratching and patience". Just like a bad oxygen sensor can make a car run awful, one faulty little computer part can cause a myriad of problems/symptoms.

Finally, besides golf, computer building/tweaking is one of the most frustrating/rewarding things I've undertaken!

Keep at it and Good Luck!!
CoachB
Old 28th January, 2005, 08:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Thanks coachB, I'm rather fond of those guides myself! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th January, 2005, 09:06 PM

I'll check it out. Thanks.
Old 28th January, 2005, 09:28 PM

I looked at heatsink ideas, and am not sure that the idea would help. Lapping a heatsink. My heatsink is just too hot. I'm not sure if lapping it would prevent it from getting so hot.
I don't see much room for another fan, if that ever was a suggestion. I also don't see any intake on the front of my computer. I have holes on the case and the interior, on one side of it, but only holes in the front.
Just not sure what to do now.
Old 28th January, 2005, 10:01 PM

So now I just found a piece of removeable casing. Do we think that this is an intake? It feels cool around the empty space. It's located on the opposite side of the holes on the case and interior. Will it make a difference? My computer froze even with the casing off.
Old 28th January, 2005, 10:32 PM
Member/Contributer

To me it sounds like the problem is down to the contact of the heatsink with the cpu. A pII should need very little case airflow and only a small fan on the cpu heatsink. with yours getting too hot to touch my guess would be that either between the cpu and the cold plate, or between the cold plate and heatsink that contact isn't being fully made, so the cpu is not being cooled effectively and this is causing heat to build up.
Taking a p2 cooling system apart is not an easy task, I've only done it once and I destroyed the plastic casing in doing so which wasn't a problem for me as I no longer wanted it, but it would make remounting the cpu difficult.
Does windows crash when it's running in safe mode?
to get into safe mode, during the boot up cycle, when it says 'Starting Windows 98' press F8 and select safe mode
if the pc suffers no instabilities in this mode then the problem lies somewhere in windows and not with the hardware

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 28th January, 2005, 10:40 PM

I've never booted in safe mode, but I will try it, and will let you know.
Thanks
Old 28th January, 2005, 11:04 PM

Safe mode doesn't let me do anything at all.
Old 28th January, 2005, 11:56 PM

So I got a free day of spyware protection. I used it and got rid of somewhere around 60 problems. I have no other real virus software, only scanning capabilities, since none of the removal programs are free. Not cheap either, but this computer was. I have an extremely limited budget(some of the components in this one came from a computer I found. The monitor I found too.) So my situation is not as easy as just getting a new computer. The wireless card was pricey too. I have been told not to remove anything, as I may mess something up.
Old 29th January, 2005, 12:11 AM

for free virus protection, and removal, goto http://www.grisoft.com

it is quite a good program, just make sure you download the free version, not the pay version.

Main machine                Gateway machine         Wifey's machine
O/S WIN XP Pro SP1              SuSE 9.2                WIN XP Pro SP2
CPU 2.8 Celeron D               1Ghz Pentium III        2.4 Celeron D
RAM 768MB PC2700                512MB PC133             512mb PC2700
HDS 40GB Excelstar              20GB Quantum Fireball   40GB
VID XFX FX6600GT 128MB          NVidia 2 MX400 32MB     O/B AGP Video
MOB Eliteforce ECS 661FX-M      DELL                    DELL
Old 29th January, 2005, 12:12 AM
Member/Contributer

safe mode probabally won't let you contact the internet, but is the system stable in it?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 29th January, 2005, 12:18 AM

My problem is only with internet applications.
The free software, is it removal for free as well?
Old 29th January, 2005, 12:29 AM
Member/Contributer

So just running windows it self suffers no instability?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 29th January, 2005, 12:29 AM

as I had just said, I only have internet problems. Which I just had, as that message hit the board.
Old 29th January, 2005, 12:37 AM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

ok, i know this perhaps isnt much help, but it will help with some of jargon thats flying around in this thread... but theres a glossary to be found here http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/i...sary&Itemid=32

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Old 29th January, 2005, 12:53 AM

the glossary is not working for me right now, nothing shows up beside theA list.
Also I have no problems playing crdom games.
My monitor seems to be acting up now too, twice when I've rebooted, it has gone to power saving mode and won't come back. I have to reboot yet again to get it to work.
Old 29th January, 2005, 12:54 AM

I keep getting fatal error messages for no reason as well.