AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th January, 2005, 01:03 AM

Trying to install the software for the virus program. Need to leave to do it.
Old 29th January, 2005, 01:24 AM
Member/Contributer

Well if the problem is only with internet programs then it's either something to do with windows networking software, or the application your getting problems with it's self.
Is it only whilest using internet explorer or is it a problem with any program that makes network connections?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th January, 2005, 01:52 AM

internet explorer, messenger, etc. Now that I've installed the grisoft antivirus, I'm having more problems. I'm ready to throw this thing out the door!!!!!!
Old 29th January, 2005, 02:11 AM

If it's got something to do with my operating system, is the suggestion to replace the system? If so, what's the recomendation for my system. P2 333mhz, 64mb. Obviously windows 98 sucks, and I should replace it. I just don't know which OS I should get(within my price range). What's the best antivirus software out there to buy? I'm in Canada, so software and OS may be different.
Old 29th January, 2005, 04:15 AM

No. I had to install it on my computer.
Old 29th January, 2005, 07:38 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

ANY copying of MS OS disks for another's use is considered piracy!

To protect both AOA and the poster I have deleted the post. Please read our forums rules. Sites have been shut down for this type of thing!.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th January, 2005, 08:57 AM

Lol, seriously wasn't gonna do it. The post said I would have to check out the legalities before even contemplating it. I know that "legally, you can make a single backup copy for yourself only." and MS would prefer you didn't do that so you'd have to buy it again if it got ruined! No worries Dan, no illegeal copies being made/sold/ or freely distributed from me. With how nutty they're getting about pirated crap, I don't even download music to decide if the new CD's any good. I just don't buy any new CDs anymore either.
Old 29th January, 2005, 10:16 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I hear you. But realize that MS would think NOTHING of shutting AOA down!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 30th January, 2005, 04:54 AM

Gotcha! and I agree. "Step in line, or we shut ya down!" has always been MS's stance.
Old 30th January, 2005, 09:38 AM

So what do I do? I downloaded antivirus from grisoft. NEVER again. I couldn't get my computer going this morning, or should I say yesterday morning because of the software. I just figured out how to uninstall it in safemode.

We're back to square 1 on this. What do I do about getting Windows 98 when I didn't have it to begin with? I don't have a copy of it, and can't get one. What do I do????
Old 30th January, 2005, 11:47 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Find a used copy on Ebay or in the forums classifieds, You can't get far without a working OS.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 30th January, 2005, 06:46 PM

Thanks
Old 30th January, 2005, 08:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Also try used book stores, they sometimes carry used software as well.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 2nd February, 2005, 06:07 AM

curious question about the install. I have an OS cd, but it's an older version than what's on my computer. Does anyone forsee a problem with that? I'm waiting to see who I hear from first, but I asked someone else, but have to wait until the morning to get a reply, so maybe I will get an answer from here first. Who knows who's faster lol. I need to make sure that it will work with my wireless card as well, but I'm not sure if it's the regular or second edition of windows 98 that I have now.

Last edited by kris182; 2nd February, 2005 at 06:21 AM.
Old 2nd February, 2005, 07:40 AM

well, I'm going to bed in a few minutes. If no one can help me by then, I'll check back in the morning when I wake up.
Old 2nd February, 2005, 11:56 AM
Member/Contributer

it all depends on if the wireless card manufacturer provides dirvers or not. Some provide drivers all the way down to windows 95, very few that support 98se don't support regular 98, check their website out.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd February, 2005, 05:19 PM

Ok, so I found out that the driver won't support 98. I've asked if they have any drivers I can install in order to support it. I don't know how long I will have to wait to get an answer, but so far it's taking forever. I posted last night, about the same time I posted my first message here. I guess they don't know much about wireless cards. I'll have to wait and see though.
Old 4th February, 2005, 05:05 PM

Ok, I'm now really pissed off. No one at the AOpen site will answer my question about installing drivers for my compatibility issue. I need help NOW!!!!!!!!! My computer is getting worse. I've had it crash simply by booting it up this morning. It's crashed about 6 times since 10am est, which is an hour ago. Sure seems like a problem to me.
I've had 2 posts up on the AOpen site for 2 days now. I've gone to their technical help page, and posted 4 messages, but no one reads them. You wonder why I'm fustrated. It seems like they don't care for people who buy their products.
Old 4th February, 2005, 05:38 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Kris, I am becoming suspicious that you have some unstable components in your system. Here is what I would like for you to do, if you don't mind.

Download memtest86 from here. Extract the zip to someplace and then run the install.bat file (you will need to have a floppy drive and a spare floppy disk). This will write a special bootable image to the floppy disk. Once you have that done, boot from the floppy (memtest will run automatically). Run the FULL test setup (I forget the exact menu option now). This will take somewhere around 15-20 hours.

Note that memtest may not find anything, as this is just a memory test. But we've got to start somewhere using a systematic trouble-shooting approach. For your system to crash during boot suggests something pretty bad is going on.
Old 4th February, 2005, 07:34 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

As Gizmo points out, at this point the only thing that will get you past this is a step by step elimination of the most likely parts, to see which is causing you trouble.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur