AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th January, 2005, 01:04 AM

Angry Massive problems

First time here, never knew about this place.
Anyways here's my problem:

I bought a used pentium 2 system a few months ago. Installed Windows 98, and have been having problems ever since. My computer keeps crashing, rebooting all on its own, freezing, becoming infected, perfoming illegal operations, having to send error reports, and just plain screwing around with me.
If I actually paid for virus software, would that prevent crashes? I've downloaded Avast antivirus, antivirus 9, spyware doctor, spyware nuker, you know, all the free stuff that seems to do nothing to get rid of anything. I can't even access a website that is active, my computer says it doesn't exist.
Can someone help me PLEASE????? I'm ready to throw this thing out.

This only got worse once I had to install a wireless card. It's slow, at 11mbps.

Last edited by kris182; 28th January, 2005 at 01:08 AM. Reason: missed something
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th January, 2005, 01:10 AM
Member/Contributer

Woh where to start. No I can't see antivirus software stopping the crashing, to me that sounds like hardware faults
The full specs of the system will make this easier.
My initial guess would be insufficient cooling on the p2. Does it have a fan on it? it is possible that the heatsink isn't attached very well to, try running with the case off and see if it at least makes the problems arrise less often

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th January, 2005, 01:12 AM
Member/Contributer

hmm it could be that the card is using an irq reserved for the graphics card or something then, try manually assigning an irq to the pci slot it's installed in
when you say it got worse, you were having these troubles before installing it?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 28th January, 2005, 01:15 AM
AOA Staff

Does this happen immediately after a clean install, even before the machine has been online?
Old 28th January, 2005, 01:16 AM

Yeah, it used to freeze a lot, just not as often.
I'm not quite computer literate, so everything you told me makes no sense.
I've heard of a heatsink, but don't quite know what it means. Heat could be a problem, but sometimes it crashes on startup, but mainly during the day, and has a hard time shutting down sometimes. I have my keyboard on top of my cpu, and have no other place to put it, but I will try taking off the cover. As for a fan, I'm pretty sure it has one.
Old 28th January, 2005, 01:20 AM

The processor has a fan, but I don't see a fan anywhere else. Even though there is a fan, the processor gets really hot. Would that make a difference?
Old 28th January, 2005, 01:23 AM
Member/Contributer

Really hot as in too hot to hold your finger on the heatsink for more than a second? if so this could be at least part of the problem.
You shouldn't need case fans in a P2 system, the fan on the processors heatsink and in the power supply unit should do.
is the fan in the power supply spinning?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 28th January, 2005, 01:26 AM

The fan is spinning. I can touch it, but it's hotter on one side, where all the grooves are. Otherwise I can touch it.
Old 28th January, 2005, 01:27 AM

I don't know that the power supply has a fan, I can't hear one.
Old 28th January, 2005, 01:27 AM

Never mind, there is a fan. I feel it working.
Old 28th January, 2005, 01:36 AM

So now the case has been off for 5+ minutes, but it's still hot. Doesn't seem to make a difference since I just got a fatal error message, and one of my programs has shut down.
Old 28th January, 2005, 01:37 AM
Member/Contributer

so the metal bit with fins isn't too hot to touch?
have you tryed re-installing windows?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 28th January, 2005, 01:39 AM

metal bit with fins? No I haven't tried re-installing windows. Unfortunately I never received a back up copy of it when it was installed. And no one seems to sell it in stores anymore.
Old 28th January, 2005, 01:45 AM
Member/Contributer

where the plastic p2 cartridge is, the side that faces the memory sticks, it will be a heatsink with a fan attached, I take it when you said it's not too hot to touch this is what you touched (the metal bit)
if you really want to buy win98 again you would need to look on ebay or in micromart (or an equivelant in your country) but seeing as you technically have a license if you could get hold of the cd from some where you wouldn't need to buy it.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 28th January, 2005, 02:01 AM

comp crashed 3 times there.

I'm trying to find it on Ebay, but it's not easy to find it cheap, or close to home.
Old 28th January, 2005, 02:02 AM

it's gotten really hot now that it crashed.
Old 28th January, 2005, 02:10 AM

I see, so no one will help eh?
Old 28th January, 2005, 02:13 AM

I can't find windows 98 on Ebay canada
What if I went with a different one, such as windows 2000?
Old 28th January, 2005, 02:13 AM
Member/Contributer

so is the actual heatsink getting too hot to keep your finger on for more than a second or 2

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 28th January, 2005, 02:16 AM

The metal is fine, but right beside it, the main part is too hot to touch.