AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th January, 2005, 01:35 AM

Confused - HDD wiped clean (data and partitions) by crash

I have just reinstalled XP - probably temporary whilst i wait for new HDD but,

Earlier tonight the PC crashed - was only running antivirus in back ground, whilst i got ready to go out.

Then come boot up it just wouldnt -

so i put in XP disk, went to try a repair - no record,
went to reistall - found that the partitions had been wiped and i was left with 60 gig unformatted partition.

Any ideas why this would happen, and is it likely this HDD is on its way out.

It a 3 year old 60 gig Seagate 7200, but cant hear it making any unsual noise.

This install of XP has been stable for 30 minutes - but not going to reactivate it on this disk.
Old 30th January, 2005, 06:46 AM

well first off I would go visit seagate.com and download a copy of SEATools (I think that is what they are currently calling it) so you can run the factory tests to see if the drive is indeed bad. If it is, you MAY be in luck. Seagate offers the best warranty around, currently FIVE years though I can't say what the warranty might be on your drive. Worth a shot, and if it is bad you might get a new drive out of the deal. If not, something else is wrong - virus or trojan, failing IDE controller, bad ribbon cable - hard to say for sure without being there. Make sure you are NOT connected to the inmternet when you set up WIndows until you get both a firewall and a virus scanner operating. This is no joke it takes just a couple of minutes of vulnerability and you are virused! And I strongly recommend Service Pack 2 for XP, the firewall is decent, and if you want you can install a better one.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th January, 2005, 11:13 AM

I ran seatools >>>

Model: ST360021A
Serial Number: 3HR051S5
Capacity: 60.02 GB
Test result: Self-test routine completed with a S.M.A.R.T. alert error!

The Drive Self-Test has determined that the drive may have one or more failing sectors. Please run SeaTools Desktop for additional information about this problem. Any drive reporting a S.M.A.R.T. error should be considered likely to fail at any time. You should back up your data from any such drive as soon as possible. Contact your computer or hard drive vendor to obtain return information.

-------------------------------------------------

Don't think i got extended warranty as it was OEM - plus cant find my receipts etc- was a few years ago now - so ive had some good use out of it so happy enough as a storage IDE drive are cheap as chips now compared to them.

"Any drive reporting a S.M.A.R.T. error should be considered likely to fail at any time"

- - - thankfully only lost game saves - all my work is backed up on USB Pen and Hotmail. PHEW. Just need ebuyer to get a shift on now.
Old 30th January, 2005, 03:51 PM

Well truthfully what a SMART error like that really means is that too many sectors are reporting bad. Often a drive like this can be saved by using SPinrite, found at www.grc.com . This tool is rathe rexpensive, $79 I think, but it will repair and recover virtually any hard drive with virtually any type of partitioning - even the many varieties of linux partititons. Even if you don't end up paying for Spinrite, go to this site and read up on what the author has to say on Hard Drives in general. Also, see if seagate has an RMA web page, normally all you have to do is check the warranty by imputing the model and serial number. Good luck!

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th January, 2005, 06:33 PM

cheers - i'll look into it