AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th February, 2005, 08:17 PM

$2000 New PC Wont Boot!! HELP!!!!!!

I just bought a Brand New PC and it wont boot anymore! I had recieved it 2 days ago and played games like far cry and doom 3 for hours with no problems. Ive used it for a few days no problems. This morning i got up and tried to boot it up and it got past the first screen where all the numbers flash then it just died. Now when i turn it on it flashes all the light for a split second and fails. All i get is a flash and a beeping noise. Here's what i got:

Abit av8 mother board
amd 64 fx55
Geforce 6800 Ultra
1 gig OCZ PC4400
200gig ATA HD
dvd-rw
um...450w power suply and i think that bout does it?

Someone PLEASE put your input as to how to get this beast running again. I ran it through aquamark and got 72,000 with no over-clock and i want my baby back!
Old 11th February, 2005, 08:23 PM
Member/Contributer

sounds like either the psu or motherboard has gone, what brand of psu is it and whats it's rating on the 12V line (there should be a sticker on it with it's ratings)
check the board and see if any of the capacitors look burned out or bulging or if they hav leaked.

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th February, 2005, 08:40 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Did you buy from a retailer?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th February, 2005, 02:43 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Welcome to AOA Pjbutta.
I hope we can help. If you bought this system from a store or a friend, TAKE IT BACK!!!!
2 days is DEFINITELY still under warrantee.

If you built it yourself, we can help, let's take it one step at a time... we're gonna need more information.
PSU info... what are you using exactly?
Was everything stock (including voltages)? (I have to ask since you say PC4400. It is worse than a waste of money in a stock system)
Open up the case and do a visual.... look for anything odd... Loose cable, burn mark, anything out of the ordinary.

Also, try clearing the CMOS.
Old 12th February, 2005, 02:46 AM

Lol now it starts up for about 3 or 4 seconds , starts to beep at me then shuts off. The motherboard lights up with the led to display a number and a letter (some code im not sure of what it is i havnt read u enough on it yet) and all the lights are working on the motherboard. Nothing looks burned out and i checked all the cables. Nothing is loose. The PSU is TTGI and rated from 450w and tested to 510w it says and on the 12v it says 0A - 0.8A??? im not sure what it means. Sorry still kinda n00bish to all this stuff im more software than hardware : / BTW i got it off E-Bay as Brand New, was a really good deal; or so it seemed at the time cause i got all this good hardware for only 1600 + shipping but if it aint working then its no good deal i guess Please help me out man.
Old 12th February, 2005, 02:57 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

pull the batttery, look for the cmos jumper, short the jumper for 10 seconds, and then replace the battery. disconnect everything except cpu/and it's fan., one stick of mem, and videocard. see what that gets you.
post back and hopefully if ya follow along, something that resembles a gremlin(all gizmo's present excepted) will pop it's head out, and you can chase it away with a broom.
Old 12th February, 2005, 03:02 AM

Im on my lunch break so if i dont get it done now then ill post back tonight, hang in there with me on this one guys!! I wanna learn! im actually excited to learn this new stuff (aside from the 1600 investment not working lol)
Old 12th February, 2005, 03:18 AM

Hahaha son of a gun... There are two power inlets(or what ever you call them) for the graphics card and one of them was very loose...Dunno how it got loose cause i didnt rough house the comp but it seems to boot okay now so ill try to load er up and ill let u guys know whats goin on.
Old 12th February, 2005, 03:23 AM

now its saying i have a corupt windows file... lol time to re-install windows maby?
Old 12th February, 2005, 03:34 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Try booting from the CD.

When the installer starts, press enter for a new installation. It will detect you have a copy on the drive and will prompt you to repair it. This won't delete any info on your Hardrive, but you will need to reactivate Windows.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 12th February, 2005, 03:38 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I'm going to be optimistic on this. Could it be that the video card wasn't getting enough power because of the loose cable? Then, because the video seemed dead, you were left with a dark screen, and didn't realize the system was still booting. As a result, you shut down the system or rebooted, while windows was still loading.... leaving you with a corrupted HDD???

If this sounds reasonable to you, reinstall... if possible, in the WinXP install, first select install. At the SECOND screen, select "repair existing", and the process should be fairly quick.

If you have any issues with the reinstall, definitely start looking more closely at the Hardware for blame.
Old 12th February, 2005, 03:40 AM
AOA Staff

$2000? Take it back if it doesn't work.
Old 12th February, 2005, 04:00 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

ebay'd.
Old 12th February, 2005, 04:15 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
ebay'd.
bummer!
Old 12th February, 2005, 10:10 PM

Send a message via MSN to marcofra2000

Negative Feedback at the ebay seller
2x512 Ballistix DDR PC-3200
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Maxtor 80 gig
Antec 430 Watts
Onkyo HT-S760, 750 Watts.

Opinions are like butts, we all have them and they all stink at one time or another. But when people's butts stink we don't go around cleaning them, so please don't tell people that their opinions stink.
Old 14th February, 2005, 05:30 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcofra2000
Negative Feedback at the ebay seller
Only if they don't respond to requests for help.
Old 14th February, 2005, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjbutta
Lol now it starts up for about 3 or 4 seconds , starts to beep at me then shuts off. The motherboard lights up with the led to display a number and a letter (some code im not sure of what it is i havnt read u enough on it yet) and all the lights are working on the motherboard. Nothing looks burned out and i checked all the cables. Nothing is loose. The PSU is TTGI and rated from 450w and tested to 510w it says and on the 12v it says 0A - 0.8A??? im not sure what it means. Sorry still kinda n00bish to all this stuff im more software than hardware : / BTW i got it off E-Bay as Brand New, was a really good deal; or so it seemed at the time cause i got all this good hardware for only 1600 + shipping but if it aint working then its no good deal i guess Please help me out man.
You are getting beeps, that is a good start and will most likely indicate the problem. Can you describe the beeps please? IE: 2 short beeps, one long beep? As well as that you mention the LED. Please tell us what it displays and the model of your board. I am sure that will clear it all up.
Old 14th February, 2005, 06:27 PM

Send a message via MSN to marcofra2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
Only if they don't respond to requests for help.
I know, I was just being sarcastic and silly .
2x512 Ballistix DDR PC-3200
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Maxtor 80 gig
Antec 430 Watts
Onkyo HT-S760, 750 Watts.

Opinions are like butts, we all have them and they all stink at one time or another. But when people's butts stink we don't go around cleaning them, so please don't tell people that their opinions stink.
Old 14th February, 2005, 10:01 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to dpgdog187 Send a message via MSN to dpgdog187

Where in the world did you get a tower like that for that price?
Old 15th February, 2005, 06:51 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgdog187
Where in the world did you get a tower like that for that price?
Ebay.
"Folding protiens and taking names"