AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th February, 2005, 04:32 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Unhappy Detecting IDE device problem

Hello to any of you reading my post.
My computer with problem is described in the signature, so I won't lose space here.
I have a problem with my computer every time I make intense use of the second hdd (the Maxtor one). After I stress it a little with some defrag..copy..move..benchmark the hdd led on the case remains on all the time and when I reboot the comp stays 2 - 3 minutes for Detecting IDE devices (the mobo debug led = 75 if I remember well) and very slow Windows boot (although Win is not on that disk). The computer comes back at a normal stage only if I remove all IDE devices (cd-rom and this hdd), reboot..and after that put them in their place.
If I work without this hdd I have no problems..that's why I believed that it has problems..so i went to the Maxtor web page...took all scanning tools for hdd..run them all and guess what - no errors at all..
I'm really angry with that because I'm beginning to believe the problem is with the mobo. I tried changing the cdrom and hdd on different jumper settings and cables..but didn't get any good news..
If any of you have an idea, please tell me because I have no other idea and I'm not a hardware geek.. and I'll give you a for your help
The bios is the one that came with the board, nothing mod., and the hdd is seen as UDMA 6 in Win and in Bios..
If you need other info..I'll post with pleasure.. because I can't take now the board to my supplier (they don't have a similar board in stock right now and I should wait a week or two), I have some projects to finish first.
Thanks alot for anyone giving a usefull advice (maybe Epox Tech can tell me of some incompatibilities)..
Old 19th February, 2005, 05:51 AM

Ok, I have a couple of quick things to try and/or check. First, make absolutley sure that the jumpers on you Maxtor drive are set correctly, and bu that I mean make sure that the drive is either jumpered to Master or Slave. Please do not ever set your drives to Cable Select as this will merely complicate things. I am guessing that you have the Maxtor on the primary IDE channel by itself and are booting off the SATA drive, and if this is the case I would set the jumper to Master. Next, go into your BIOS and instead of leaving the Primary Master HDD set to Auto, set it to the specific drive (the Maxtor). Now how this is done depends on your BIOS but there should be a way to detect the correct HDD settings and lset them up manually instead of auto-detecting them on each boot. Leave the AUTO setting for any IDE channel where a CD-Rom or DVD-drive is hooked up, and if you have any channels not be used should be set to OFF or Disabled. While you are in the BIOS set your boot order to start with the SATA drive.

Hope these tips help,let me know what happens or if you have already tried this stuff we'll see what other things we can do. Also, it is possible that the Maxtor drive is still the problem - sometimes diagostic disks do not check mechanical issues like a failing motors and such. I once had a western digital drive that would lock up the whole PC, and would act much like you are describing. I would have to shut off the machine, unplug all the drives, boot, shut down and reconnect the drive and viola! everything would work fine for a while - sometimes weeks. I also once had a 20 MB - yes, megabyte - hard drive that had to be whacked with a hammer just so every few days to break the motor loose AND was still working when I gave the machine away. Ah, the good old days, DOS 3.3, 640 k memory and a blazing 10mhz processor with no heatsink.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th February, 2005, 11:12 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolanenwindrift
I also once had a 20 MB - yes, megabyte - hard drive that had to be whacked with a hammer just so every few days to break the motor loose AND was still working when I gave the machine away. Ah, the good old days, DOS 3.3, 640 k memory and a blazing 10mhz processor with no heatsink.
The good ol' days. Back in '85?

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th February, 2005, 12:11 PM

The (not)interresting part is that I got that Maxtor hdd out and it happens the same way only with my combo drive .. Even if I take off all my IDE devices (hdd .. cdrom..) it happens the same thing it hungs when it should detect the ide-s ... only when I take the IDE cables from the mobo it comes to a normal status..when I put the cables back ... (and believe me I was very carefull when I did all the pluggin') with or without devices the problems appear. I tried other cables and no change
That hdd is master. The combo is master too (on the other cable ).. I tried with both on the same cable (hdd - slave, combo - master), but I wasn't able to see a pattern of what I am doing wrong. It's frustrating...
Thanks for the time!
Old 19th February, 2005, 03:40 PM

hmmmmm... sounds like either bad IDE cables - try different ones if you haven't - or possibly a bad IDE controller on your motherboard. Anyone else have ideas?

Rondog: Yeah '85 would be just about right heh.

AOA Team fah
Old 19th February, 2005, 04:02 PM

Hi Dolanen!
I think my hidden(not wanted!!) conclusion was the same as yours I just didn't want to go to the store because it takes 2-3 weeks until I receive the mobo back or get a new one plus I can bet they don't have it on stock so that's another reason for a delay and I go crazy without a computer at home plus.. I just began walking my first steps in overclocking and I'll be sad to make such a big pause
Old 10th March, 2005, 03:00 AM

Wink help

look for HDDhealth and run that program; maybe that way you can detect something on/with the drive.
It reads out all the SMART data from your HDD's ...
(freeware - for non-commercial use)

here: www.panterasoft.com

1] ... Athlon XP2500+ Barton @ 3000+ & 512 MB RAM WinXP
2] ... Athlon XP2500+ Barton @ 3100+ & 1024 MB RAMWin2k
3] ... Athlon XP2500+ Mobile Barton @ 3200+ & 512 MB RAM WinXP
4&5] Athlon A64X2 3800+ @ 2.6 GHz (~ 5000+) & 2x 1024 MB RAM running @ 237 MHz WinXP

All folding 24/7