AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th February, 2005, 07:56 PM

6800GT, strange problem

Ever since I bought my 6800gt, I've had this strange problem:

It started after I set up the card properly. Here's the state my PC was in during that time:
  • AMD Athlon64 3000+ @ 2.3GHz (230 FSB)
  • 1GB DDR400 non-brand RAM @ stock timings
  • EPOX 86DA3J motherboard
  • 2 IDE hard disks, well maintained
  • A total of 5 USB devices (DSL modem, 3 gamepads, mouse)
  • XFX 6800gt 256mb ram AGP
  • Temps:- CPU: 42c, CASE: 34c, 6800GT: 56c

If I play any Directx game or run any application with Directx 3D or gfx for a period of time, my PC either:
  • hangs
  • Crashes to a blue screen with the error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

After returning my CPU to default clock speed (2GHz), Directx games still hang after a period of time but recover after a few seconds and start running again. I don't get the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen at stock CPU speeds.

Anybody come accross this before? Can't seem to figure it out...
PC Specs:
It's Black. What more do you need to know?
3DMARK05 SCORE: 6038
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th February, 2005, 08:06 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

probalby some sort of IRQ conflict with the USB devices, and something else. Probably the pci or agp busses getting overclocked to far, and the device drops or something. The fact it doesn't happen at stock speeds kinda says your overclock is not stable.
Old 19th February, 2005, 08:15 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

AGP/PCI bus is locked I'm guessing?

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th February, 2005, 08:21 PM

If the 8KDA3J motherboard has an option to unlock AGP/PCI speeds I definately haven't touched it. I think PCI/AGP clock multipliers are generally locked in epox motherboards.

The strange thing is that I haven't experienced the same issues with my old radeon 9600xt either when running overclocked or at stock speeds...

I didn't mention that this does not occur when playing Doom 3
PC Specs:
Old 19th February, 2005, 08:55 PM

There is a minor memory leak in HL2. It's what causes the stutter on machines with less than 512mb. You may be subjest to that, or have an IRQ conflict that does not become apparant until oyu fill the PCI/AGP bus up with data. No other games pushes as much raw data right now like HL2 does. It's a good system stability tester, mixed with FAH.
Old 20th February, 2005, 05:34 AM

Is it possible to change the IRQ channel of the video card in auto mode? I don't want to turn off auto IRQ assignment and relive my win95 days!
PC Specs:
Old 20th February, 2005, 06:45 AM
Member/Contributer

there should be a setting in one of the menus to assign IRQ to AGP. At least there is on both my abits...
Old 20th February, 2005, 10:04 PM

I read up on IRQ, and found this:
  • ACPI which was introduced in Win2K, automatically assigns and shares IRQ channels
  • ACPI is responsible for such things as standby, keyboard shutdown, hard-disk/monitor shut down etc.
  • BIOS IRQ and P&P settings do not alter IRQ settings within windows if ACPI is enabled. In fact, Microsoft recommends disabling these BIOS features for WIN2K/WINXP

I found that my 6800gt gfx card has it's own unshared IRQ channel anyway so my whole reasoning is useless

Could these hangups be generated by the CPU overheating? I am running my Zalman 7000Cu CPU fan on it's lowest speed...
PC Specs:
Old 20th February, 2005, 10:21 PM

Well, in this situation, here's what i would do:

Uninstall all drivers..sound, video, chipset...all of the drivers that appear in the "add/remove programs"
reinstall from scratch..chipset, video, lan, others, sound.

you may need to try another driver version as well, not all drivers will work with all games.

By re-doing the drivers, from having none installed, you will reset, kinda, hte IRQ assingments that are taken by windows. It could be something as simple as the vidcard supporting busmastering, although that one is not likely to be an issue, unless your pci bus is full.
Old 20th February, 2005, 10:26 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashakos
I didn't mention that this does not occur when playing Doom 3
So, that would be running in Open GL and not Direct X?

That might explain the difference. Possibly your Direct X has gone screwy somehow.
Old 20th February, 2005, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashakos
Ever since I bought my 6800gt, I've had this strange problem:

It started after I set up the card properly. Here's the state my PC was in during that time:
  • AMD Athlon64 3000+ @ 2.3GHz (230 FSB)
  • 1GB DDR400 non-brand RAM @ stock timings
  • EPOX 86DA3J motherboard
  • 2 IDE hard disks, well maintained
  • A total of 5 USB devices (DSL modem, 3 gamepads, mouse)
  • XFX 6800gt 256mb ram AGP
  • Temps:- CPU: 42c, CASE: 34c, 6800GT: 56c

If I play any Directx game or run any application with Directx 3D or gfx for a period of time, my PC either:
  • hangs
  • Crashes to a blue screen with the error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

After returning my CPU to default clock speed (2GHz), Directx games still hang after a period of time but recover after a few seconds and start running again. I don't get the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen at stock CPU speeds.

Anybody come accross this before? Can't seem to figure it out...
I had the same problems with 3d hangs lasting several long seconds then returning to a playable frame rate. I also have a very similar system:
A64 3400
8KDA3J
PNY 6800GT
I finally solved it by setting the AGP bus to 67 to lock it.
and upping the cpu voltage 2 notches. (.01v)
Been smooth since. GL
Old 21st February, 2005, 08:03 AM

that sounds like the solution

I'll post back with the results. Thanks!
PC Specs:

Last edited by mashakos; 21st February, 2005 at 08:21 AM.
Old 23rd February, 2005, 10:23 PM

Well, Dave's suggestion worked. I no longer get freeze ups when playing dx games. Now a new problem came up: Anisotropic Filtering doesn't work anymore !

Now I don't even care about overclocking. I reset everything back to default speeds, reinstalled forceware drivers after uninstalling and running drivercleaner but still no anisotropic filtering!!
For the record, all filtering antialiasing optimisations are off.
I don't know, I'm starting to lose my patience. Once you start losing your patience with a PC it always goes downhill from there
PC Specs:
Old 23rd February, 2005, 10:41 PM
AOA Staff

In what way doesn't it work? I mean can you set it in the control panel or not?
Old 23rd February, 2005, 10:54 PM

no, it just does not work with the driver he is using. Big complaint right now. Alot of games are affected by it this time tho.. has been a problem with NVidia's acrds and DirectX games in the past.
Old 23rd February, 2005, 11:00 PM
AOA Staff

I see. This being the driver just released? Haven't tried it yet...
Old 23rd February, 2005, 11:05 PM

yes, apparantly there are issues with the recent 71.xx drivers, becasue they are not geared towards the gaming cards, but the quattro versions, if i recall the explanation properly. DSIO should know the real story. I don't do Nvidia, if i can help it.(but i wanna play with an ultra!)
Old 23rd February, 2005, 11:12 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
(but i wanna play with an ultra!)
You can play with mine, she's $100 p/h.
Old 23rd February, 2005, 11:45 PM

$100 w/postage/handling? That's it!?! All inclusive?!? Box that baby up and send it on over. I don't care that shipping is gonna take 4 years cause they'll probably give it a sail and float it out, for that price!
Old 23rd February, 2005, 11:53 PM
AOA Staff

It's now $120 p/h - don't push it! LOL