AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th March, 2005, 03:56 PM

Help:Sudden shutdown, internal speaker siren!

Hi, this is my first post, and I really need help!
I'm running a KM400A mobo with a sempron 1.8ghz. Everything was working fine, I managed to install XP on a SATA drive with no problems. Anyway I decided to partition the drive, which didn't work out the way I wanted so I repartitioned it. Once this was done (I had booted in dos) and I was at the command prompt, I hit ctrl-alt-del to restart. Instead of restarting the machine shut off, fans and all, and the internal speaker started making a dual tone warning sound.

I managed to restart the machine (holding down the power button for 4secs) and started to reinstall windows, but after about 10 mins running it happened again. So I thought that the auto shutdown on high temp option was on in the bios, so I checked and it wasn't. I went to save and exit, and low and behold, it happened again. So I noticed that anytime I try to reset, either by ctrl-alt-del or by hitting the reset button, this happens, and also if windows runs for about 5 - 10 mins it happens.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd really appreciate the help!
I don't think its overheating, the bios reports the cpu is at about 57 celcius.
Old 5th March, 2005, 04:12 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

sounds like summats just thrown a fit, try resetting ur bios by leaving the battery out for ten minutes and thenreplace and reboot.
other possibilities:
Low cpu fan rpm
incorrect ram settings

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th March, 2005, 04:14 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

please check that all the cables and cards are plugged in well in the motherboard (cables from the power supply to the motherboard, videocard, soundcard, tvtuner and everything else..), check the RAM sticks to see if they fit well into the slots.. do you have a manual for that bios?
Old 5th March, 2005, 04:23 PM

I'll give those a shot. I've tried resetting the bios, but to no avail. I'll try leaving the battery out and see if that helps. Ya I have a manual for it, but there's no mention of a problem like that . The cpu fan is running at about 3000rpm or so. I was thinking of updating the bios to see if that would make any difference.
Old 5th March, 2005, 04:29 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

i don't think that the original bios is so buggy that it doesn't let you use your computer...I try a guess it is a problem with your power supply or the connections between it and the motherboard..
Good luck.
Old 5th March, 2005, 04:33 PM

Hmmm.... that may be so. I wonder why its only started happening now though? I mean it was working fine for ages until I decided to partition using fdisk. Arg!
Old 5th March, 2005, 05:10 PM

Ok, I've just flashed the bios with the lastest version, but the problem is still happening. Although its slightly improved in that it when I exit the bios it doesn't happen anymore, but it still happens when I try to reset or when windows is running.
Old 5th March, 2005, 05:23 PM

Have you tested the RAM? If you are running two sticks try leaving one out etc.
You might want to run memtest (you can propably find it in the files section). It´s a good test that can be run outside of windows (run from a boot disc).

Good luck and welcome to the forums

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th March, 2005, 03:23 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapho
Ok, I've just flashed the bios with the lastest version, but the problem is still happening. Although its slightly improved in that it when I exit the bios it doesn't happen anymore, but it still happens when I try to reset or when windows is running.
Exactly, what happens in Windows? Are you saying that it crashes randomly and you hear a siren?
Old 6th March, 2005, 09:05 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Well you should not be unhappy with your partitioning since this low tones have nothing to do with this. If you have done this before and you have no warranty left do this.

1. Remove the mobo from the case.
2. Take the PSU out aswell.
3. Plug in the videocard and one stick of ram.
4. Take the cooler and the proccessor off and check the proc for any damage
5. Plug the PSU molex into the mobo
6. Power up

YOU SHOULD NOT HEAR THE 2 LOW TONES

7. Power off
8. Insert the cpu and make sure you have the cooler into the right position.
9. Power up

IF IT'LL GIVE YOU THE SAME TONES TRY WITH A FRIEND PROC. IF THAT GOES THE SAME YOUR MOBO DECIDED "IT'S TIME TO REPLACE MY BIOS WITH A BRAND NEW ONE" or even worse "I AM GONE"....I hope none of this is your case

Good luck
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!