AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th March, 2005, 09:08 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

9600XT is refusing to play fair!

OK. Long story. I was fiddling with the Local Security Policy, computer refused to start (I had inadvertantly disallowed all software access ) but anyway I repaired my Windows installation (didnt work) then I finally got Windows to boot in safe mode. Fixed my error. Restarted Windows normally and found that all my display drivers had been unistalled. Not only that I cannot re-install them. When I go to Display Properties > Settings. It says

Display:
(Default Moniter) on

Instead of:

Display:
L1730S on 9600XT

When I try to install the drivers it tells me to set my display adapter to a standard VGA one. Except I cant. When I add new hardware, scanning for plug+play devices finds nothing, and the only Display Adapters I can find manually are ATI Rage Pro's and Intel onboard ones.

If someone could send me the .inf files for a standard VGA adapter (or tell me where I can download them) I would be most grateful.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th March, 2005, 08:23 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

C:\Documents and Seetings\user>Format C:
The type of file system is NTFS.

WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE
DISK DRIVE C: WILL BE LOST!
Proceed with format (Y/N)? Y

I'm sure that'll fix it

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th March, 2005, 08:28 PM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
C:\Documents and Seetings\user>Format C:
The type of file system is NTFS.

WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE
DISK DRIVE C: WILL BE LOST!
Proceed with format (Y/N)? Y

I'm sure that'll fix it

thats so mean!! but thats probably the only way to fix it
Old 13th March, 2005, 12:36 AM

i know how to format. Except ive got 60gig of stuff that I need to back-up. And I need dual-layer disks to do it. But I dont have any. Would taking the 9600XT out, starting the computer for 20sec, turning computer off, putting card back in, turning computer on solve it?

Old 13th March, 2005, 02:04 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

That's a sensible thing to try, IMHO. Fingers are crossed for you!
Old 13th March, 2005, 02:54 AM
Member/Contributer

if re-installing windows isn't a problem as long as you can keep your data (not stored in the windows directory) then boot the windows XP cd, select the recovery console option, delete the windows dir, then reinstall windows, your drive should be left untouched apart from the windows dir.

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 13th March, 2005, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondog
OK. Long story. I was fiddling with the Local Security Policy, computer refused to start (I had inadvertantly disallowed all software access ) but anyway I repaired my Windows installation (didnt work) then I finally got Windows to boot in safe mode. Fixed my error. Restarted Windows normally and found that all my display drivers had been unistalled. Not only that I cannot re-install them. When I go to Display Properties > Settings. It says

Display:
(Default Moniter) on

Instead of:

Display:
L1730S on 9600XT

When I try to install the drivers it tells me to set my display adapter to a standard VGA one. Except I cant. When I add new hardware, scanning for plug+play devices finds nothing, and the only Display Adapters I can find manually are ATI Rage Pro's and Intel onboard ones.

If someone could send me the .inf files for a standard VGA adapter (or tell me where I can download them) I would be most grateful.
Hi,

Give this a try, "control panel > system > hardware > device manager > select dipsplay adapter, right click and then left click on update driver, then it will ask you if it can look on the internet for a driver left click the bullet "not at this time" then click the bullet "install from a specific location" then click bullet "don't search, I'll will choose the driver to install", then uncheck the "show compatible hardware" box then select "standard vga driver" and click next. That should install the standard vga driver then your ati drivers will be able to detect it. GL
Old 13th March, 2005, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBC
Hi,

Give this a try, "control panel > system > hardware > device manager > select dipsplay adapter, right click and then left click on update driver, then it will ask you if it can look on the internet for a driver left click the bullet "not at this time" then click the bullet "install from a specific location" then click bullet "don't search, I'll will choose the driver to install", then uncheck the "show compatible hardware" box then select "standard vga driver" and click next. That should install the standard vga driver then your ati drivers will be able to detect it. GL
Tried that also. Nothing. It didnt even show the standard VGA drivers. It just had some onboard Intel ones and ATi Rage Pro's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
if re-installing windows isn't a problem as long as you can keep your data (not stored in the windows directory) then boot the windows XP cd, select the recovery console option, delete the windows dir, then reinstall windows, your drive should be left untouched apart from the windows dir.
Thats how I do into this mess. But thanks anyway. I tried it a second time. Still nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
That's a sensible thing to try, IMHO. Fingers are crossed for you!
Sensible, yes. Successful, no.

I formatted. And lost my 60gig of Futurama I couldnt back up. But its working again. And now my system is in NTFS not Fat32. So I suppose it wasnt a complete loss.

Thanks anyways guys.

Old 14th March, 2005, 07:47 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Argh, hate to lose all of that Futurama! You can buy at least one year of that show's episodes on DVD. Cold comfort, sorry.
Old 14th March, 2005, 08:16 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

you could have hooked the "bad" drive up as slave to another computer with the same OS running, then you could have made the backup frim the other computer.
Old 15th March, 2005, 01:14 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianMissile1
you could have hooked the "bad" drive up as slave to another computer with the same OS running, then you could have made the backup frim the other computer.
Indeed, that would of enabled you to back up everything.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 15th March, 2005, 06:20 AM

Just a note, you can rent the Futrama DVDs - the ones that have been released - through Walmart DVD club or Netflix. Might be worth checking into!

AOA Team fah
Old 15th March, 2005, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
Argh, hate to lose all of that Futurama! You can buy at least one year of that show's episodes on DVD. Cold comfort, sorry.
I could buy the first 4 seasons. But I got these off my cousin. We went havles in the first three series (but since she doesnt have a burner, I left her have the originals in exchange for copies). Next time I see her, I will just burn them again. I hadnt burnt them off yet as they were all 6gb+ for each disk. So I waiting for DVD+(or -)DL to drop in price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianMissile1
I have three computers. So this would have been possible. Had the other computers not being running 10gb HDD's. Not only that, both my P1 (was running) and my Compaq K6-2 is running 10gb HDD's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolanenwindrift
Just a note, you can rent the Futrama DVDs - the ones that have been released - through Walmart DVD club or Netflix. Might be worth checking into!
Im in Australia. And im guessing they are American companies. Im pretty sure Walmart is. (I thought Walmart was a supermarket?) I might check out www.EzyDVD.com.au or wait 3 weeks til I see my cousin....

Hmm $120 (EzyDVD) or 3 weeks (cousin)?

I think i'll wait.

Old 15th March, 2005, 05:49 PM

Ah, didn't know you were in Aus.... it costs me less than $25 a month to have as many as 4 DVDs out at one time, very good deal.

AOA Team fah
Old 15th March, 2005, 08:44 PM

Yeah, that sounds pretty good.