AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd March, 2005, 10:09 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

How bad is this graphics card?

hi,

I'm having some trouble, well alot of trouble with my graphics card.

I have an Nvidia Geforce4 MX440 4xAGP 128MB card made by mentor.

does anybody out there have the same card or similar or have any experience with them?

I'm looking to find out what the card should be capable of because like i said i'm having problems.

Gaming is my problem!
I cant play more than 5 mins of any 3d based game
e.g doom3
solider of fortune
unreal tournament
deus ex
command and conquer generals
and the list goes on and on.
they all install fine and run fine for about 5 mins then my pc just freezes.
the monitor sticks on the last image it displayed and mouse and keyboard lock up. the only way to return to windows is to power off my system and reboot.

ive tried everything i can think of to solve this problem,
e.g, fastwrite, enabled-disabled.
AGP appenditure size set to 32,64,128mb
reinstalled drivers
updated nvidia drivers
visually checked and reseated card
but still the same.

ive tried the card on a friends system,xp2200+,misc mobo,256 ram
and it seems to work fine.
so it must be a hardware/software problem with my system.
according to windows the card is installed and working correctly(my arse).

if there are any specs i have forgotten to write on here please ask, i'll post back straight away.

if anyone can shed any light on this i would be very grateful.

thanx 4 reading.
Old 22nd March, 2005, 10:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I've got a GeForce4 MX440 8X AGP with 64 Meg; not the exact same card, but very similar.

It sounds to me like you may have a problem with the GPU overheating. On mine, the heatsink for the GPU is a piece of crap; I could file steel with the base of this heatsink, that's how rough it is. Even after spending an hour lapping it, it's still rough enough to use for a hair brush. So, that could be one of your problems. Another problem could be that you aren't getting enough air through your case.

Also, are you overclocking the video card at all?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd March, 2005, 10:17 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

no, the card is running at stock,
the heatsink is very small, but i do have case fans, my friends pc didnt have any fans and it worked fine on there??
Old 22nd March, 2005, 10:19 PM
AOA Staff

The symptoms you are seeing are the same as I would see on my system if I overclock the graphics too far. Don't know how much help that is!

Set AGP fastwrites to disabled and AGP aperture to 64 MB. Not that this is likely to solve the problem, but that is how they need to be set IMO.

What graphics card were you using before?
Old 22nd March, 2005, 10:25 PM

wot does IMO stand 4? um not up on my forum lingo!
tried running it at wot you suggested, still the same problem.
this is the first graphics card i have had on my system
Old 22nd March, 2005, 10:26 PM
AOA Staff

IMO = in my opinion.

Have you disabled the on-board graphics?
Old 22nd March, 2005, 10:27 PM
AOA Staff

We've got the same thread on the go twice here:

EDIT:
Make that 3 times!

Starts to get confusing...

Last edited by Áedán; 22nd March, 2005 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Not any longer!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd March, 2005, 10:28 PM

my board doesent have onboard graphics
Old 22nd March, 2005, 10:31 PM

sorry, i thought different ppl looked at diff forum topics, trying to get all the help i can!
Old 22nd March, 2005, 10:31 PM
AOA Staff

So, you have just built a new system?
Old 22nd March, 2005, 10:33 PM

yes, built it about a month ago, had the graphics problem from the start, but only just had the time to try and sort it out.
Old 22nd March, 2005, 10:37 PM
AOA Staff

if the card works on other sysytems and it always does it about 5 minutes in, it sounds like maybe somethings overheating... have you tried looping any benchmarks or anything to check stability?
Old 22nd March, 2005, 10:39 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I merged the threads and tided up a bit.

If the card works ok in another system, then it doesn't sound like it's the card. SJ's idea of running some stress tests probably isn't a bad idea at all.
Old 22nd March, 2005, 10:40 PM
AOA Staff

There may be other reasons why it wasn't overheating in your friends PC, e.g. the room temperature was cooler. (Assuming that it is overheating in your PC)
Old 22nd March, 2005, 10:45 PM

ok, wots a good benchmark tool to use on a graphics card.
i'll try that.

i have a small fan from an old cpu which would proberly fit the heat sink.
should i try that.
Old 22nd March, 2005, 11:05 PM
AOA Staff

I meant something that wasnt graphical to test the stability of the rest of the system
Old 23rd March, 2005, 12:00 AM
Steve Jobs

OK ill say this for a start, graphics cards cant kill a system. If your card overheats, or fails due to overclocking while in 3D mode, a CTRL-ALT-DEL to task manager or an alt+tab will get you out of the 3D environment and allow you to correct the fault within windows. The only case where a graphics card can cause the computer to completely fail is if you pull it out of its socket during play.

Its just like a sound card. If it fails, the system will keep on running. 3D and 2D modes are handled by different parts of the video card, so there may be a small freeze before it returns to 2D mode but it always will eventually.

Your symptoms are definately of a CPU / mobo / RAM nature.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 23rd March, 2005, 12:08 AM

thanx for the input dsio,
if it is a mobo,ram,cpu problem, how do i go about identifying which part is causing the problem?
are there any programs out there or in windows for this sort of thing?

thanx 4 the help
Old 23rd March, 2005, 12:14 AM
Steve Jobs

Different programs stress different parts of your subsystem. One of the messier is Sandra, but it has a burn in wizard that you can force to run the memory test on a long loop to see if your ram is stable. Then theres the sandra CPU test which can test CPU stability.

Prime95 i *think* is a good RAM tester though im not really sure as ive never used it myself.

see if your machine is Prime95 stable for a start and that narrows it down somewhat. www.aoafiles.com for prime95 i think.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 23rd March, 2005, 12:25 AM

i'll have a go at that 2morrow, off to bed now.
thanx for the help. i'll post back with the results