AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th March, 2005, 10:12 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

prime95 trouble

hi ppl,
having problems with my system crashing alot, and a member of this forum suggested testing my system with prime95.

i'm having trouble running the turture test in prime95.
when i run it i get the following message come up

ILLEGAL SUMOUT
POSSIBLE HARDWARE FAILURE, CONSULT THE READ ME FILE.

so i looked at the read me file and it said if your running xp then it is very likely to be a true hardware error.

so now i need to findout wot the hardware problem is, does anyone know of a program that can find the prob, or how i can find it myself?

any help would be gratefully recieved.
Old 26th March, 2005, 10:18 PM

you can start with memtest86
http://www.memtest86.com/
and if you get some errors you now it is memory that fail.
Old 26th March, 2005, 10:19 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

cheers mate, i'll take a look
Old 26th March, 2005, 10:30 PM

yo, finetobe, ive created a memtest86 floppy,
do i run it through dos or set my pc to boot from the floppy drive?
Old 26th March, 2005, 11:40 PM

well, i ran memtest86 and it came back good, 0 errors.
anyone got any other ideas?
Old 27th March, 2005, 05:16 PM

Do you get errors from Prime95 immediately upon running it or after a few minutes? It could be a heat-related issue.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th March, 2005, 11:52 AM

it takes about 2 mins before the error message comes up on prime.
ive been through the heat problem b4, was having problems with my graphics card and the upshot of that was it running to hot, this link-
graphics card hell!!!
so i put a fan on my graphics card heatsink, it seemed to solve the problem for afew hour then it was back to the same old thing. crashes!
at the moment ive got 1 case fan,blowing air in.
one fan on my graphics card, blowing onto the heatsink.
and ofcourse 1 fan on my cpu.

any ideas anyone?
Old 28th March, 2005, 03:09 PM

This is where it gets hard to give specific advice, and where opinions differ greatly heh. I would at this point first blow all dust out of the case and off the components using a can of compressed air. Next I would install a second fan, of approximately the same size and power, blowing out the back of the case. My prefered setup is to bring air into the front bottom of the case and then out the back top. I believe you need the saem air pressure coming in as going out, or reasonably close to it, and you also need to arrange the wires in your case so that airflow is not blocked. If you have either too much air pressure coming in or too much going out you will get disrupted airflow and IMO poor cooling. I'm going to say this now: some cases have poor airflow, even some very expensive trendy ones. The only solution for these cases is usually replacement. I prefer the Antec/CHieftec Dragon style of case, the plastic on the outside being whatever it is, these case have exceptionally clean airflow. Yes they are pretty big, and if you load them up with fans they can be noisy, but I'll take noise over heat any day.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th March, 2005, 04:25 PM

ok, that does sound like a resonable idea, but even when i run my system with the side of the case off i still have the same problems, if it was air-folw/cooling would it not work fine with the side panel off?
Old 29th March, 2005, 03:02 AM

well remember what cools the components is air FLOW not air. If you have a big box fan blowing into the PC with the door off and it is still getting hot something else is wrong. Just taking the door off doesn't always make the PC run cooler. One thing I don't think I covered was the PSU - a struggling power supply can make the whole system run hot. I have a 1.33 tbird on a gigabyte board that always ran hot - like 135-140 F at idle. Finally I yanked out the 350 watt PSU and replaced with a 300 watt Fortron and the temps dropped immediately. This isn't an endorsement of Fortron btw, that just happened to be a good PSU. I guess the point is you need a good PSU or you will have trouble, and $100 is a bargain if it saves the rest of your hardware.

AOA Team fah
Old 29th March, 2005, 11:04 PM

well the psu i have on it is the one that came with the case, and the case only cost £30, so i dought its a great one.
i'll try running it with the side off and a big desktop fan next to it, see wot happens then.
thanx for the advice.
Old 29th March, 2005, 11:07 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

you need more juice at the cpu, or the northbridge is at it's max. generally, if it is the northbridge, you will get an IRQ NOT LESS THAN OR EQUAL error. it could also be the mem...memtesting does not mean that the mem can handle windows....but you may just need to back down a mhz.