AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st April, 2005, 05:26 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmax57
Why not? Loads off stores in UK sell used, refurbished or returned items offering between a 30 - 90 day warranty or there abouts? ive bought loads of stuff from dabs used selection like recently a nf7-s v2 for £25 everything but the i/o shield was still sealed board looked good as new ans certain runs well, if people are aware that the items are used I dont see any probs
Although you or I may be more than happy to use used parts, some others are not soo keen...especially when everyone sees a pc as outdated 2 years down the road. I ebay or list on the forums old parts i get, as well as my own. I abuse my stuff a bit, so i don't mind giving someone a deal...sold my 2 month old artic silencer for $10!
Old 1st April, 2005, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhxtyrant
hey guys i got a small question in reguards to a problem im having with a mobo which seems almost identical to the problem cadaveca is having.Could a dead CMOS battery cause a system not to boot?now before someone says its a stupid questions with an obvious answer let me explain.

I have a EPOX mobo.when i power everything up the board starts and all componets turn on as usual,only thing is nothing gets displayed at all on the monitor it just stays blank.all the hardware has been tested and works perfectly in my MSI mobo.i have tried about 4 different video cards to make sure one wasnt damaged ect.same thing occurs.could this be because of a dead CMOS battery or bad bios chip?

thanks in advance.

EDIT:this may also sound like a newb question but can someone explain,or give me a good link on hotflahing?after reading that cadaveca solved his problem by doing this i am tempted but really dont know where to begin.

An Article for you folks with Hot Flash thoughts
Old 1st April, 2005, 07:23 PM

Ok first, yes, I have seen motherboards not boot because of a dead CMOS battery or even the jumper left set to the clear position. The PSU will come on and the fans turn in some cases, but no boot or display on the screen. Now obviously a bad bios chip or a bad flash of a bios chip can cause the same symptoms, and since you have already tested all the hardware on another board you can be fairly certain that the problem lies in the motherboard. One other thing - if you have onboard video, make sure you try to boot with the monitor plugged into that port on the motherboard, you may have to disable the onboard video in the bios before you can use an add-in card. Kind of obvious but I usually find it is the obvious I have missed. In any case the CMOS battery is always worth a shot since the cost very little and you will likely need one on some board someday .

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st April, 2005, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
The link seems to be dead
Old 1st April, 2005, 09:56 PM

clear your browser cache...it is working here.
Old 1st April, 2005, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
clear your browser cache...it is working here.
hmm maybe you misunderstood the link to the forum topic works but the link inside that forum topic http://www.overclockedcafe.com/modul...rder=1&thold=0 doesnt waork.