AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th March, 2005, 06:40 PM

OCZ 420w killing MOBOS

A buddy of mine is having bad luck with OCZs powersupplies lately. Just wondering if anyone out there has had fried mobos and video cards due to these
powersupplies. They seem like nice PSUs.
40 gig WD
1 gig 3200
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th March, 2005, 06:48 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

theyt are nice, but on the back of the newer ones, they allow for voltage adjustments. IF yours is an older one, there is a chance it is overvolting a bit. I've gone back to my thermaltake PSU, which, although a bit underpowered for A64 overclocking, has me better off than the others i have here.
Old 29th March, 2005, 08:37 PM

I never thought of that. He just cooked my old Gigabyte mobo and a new Abit 939. A 9800 pro was also in the fray. I feel bad for him. He's trying to get his tech business off the ground and this can't be helping matters. The one system that got fried was his business server. OCZ keeps replacing the PSUs but not the fried components. I'll tell him about that Cadaveca. Thanks again. Looks like spring is here!!!
40 gig WD
1 gig 3200
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th March, 2005, 08:42 PM

best thing is to take a multimeter to it and verifiy it is not overvolting. Probably the 5v rail.
Old 29th March, 2005, 08:59 PM

I believe that he took his PSU to work to test it. The thing runs hot too. Maybe its bad luck or his on to something. My enermax 460 is just beautiful. Love it to death. Best purchase I've made in quite some time. And to think, I was going to buy his RMA replacement OCZ. Dodged one there.
40 gig WD
1 gig 3200
Old 29th March, 2005, 09:17 PM

OCZ has some good products out there, but like any other company, they have thier share of bad ones as well. It's what happens when you relabel/customize products for sale. OCZ is doing much better than it has in the past, however.