AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th April, 2005, 11:54 PM
Member/Contributer

Dead NF7 or PSU?

I made a really stupid mistake a few months ago while building my NF7-S system, I forgot to connect the 4pin power lead. I didn't realise anything as the PC worked fine without it for 2 months. Then yesterday it rebooted for no reason, then a couple of times today and now....its just off!

The chassis fans powered directly from the PSU spin up ok, but the HDD's dont, there are no post beeps or anything, even with the 4 pin plug connected. So is the NF7-s history or could it be the PSU?

/Laz off to compare the NF7-S vs 8RDA6+ Pro....

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th April, 2005, 01:21 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Sounds like the PSU bit the dust to me.

Unplug the IDE cable from the drive but leave the power plugged into it. Power up again, verify that the chassis fans spin up but the drive does not. If you have the same symptoms, I'd shoot the PSU.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th April, 2005, 02:31 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazgoat
I made a really stupid mistake a few months ago while building my NF7-S system, I forgot to connect the 4pin power lead. I didn't realise anything as the PC worked fine without it for 2 months. Then yesterday it rebooted for no reason, then a couple of times today and now....its just off!

The chassis fans powered directly from the PSU spin up ok, but the HDD's dont, there are no post beeps or anything, even with the 4 pin plug connected. So is the NF7-s history or could it be the PSU?

/Laz off to compare the NF7-S vs 8RDA6+ Pro....
I've done the same thing................. in a nut shell........ the board is dead!!!
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 6th April, 2005, 10:56 AM
Member/Contributer

Hmmm...eitehr way its annoying! I'd rather it was the PSU as I have a spare one which I can use.....a new board will cost £60 about.

Q: If I go for an 8RDA6+ Pro will I have to format and reinstall even though I'll be staying with the NF2 platform?

LAz.

AOA Team fah
Old 6th April, 2005, 11:06 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

There are some differences - the 8RDA6+Pro uses a different version of the southbridge, but the feature set is broadly similar. You might have to change some stuff like the network driver, but if you don't use the SATA functionality, you might be able to get away with it.

Oh, and the sound of course!
Old 6th April, 2005, 03:34 PM
Member/Contributer

Ok, thats quite positive. As long as I can get into Windows and back up the files on the C: drive then I can format and start again from scratch.

LAz.

AOA Team fah
Old 6th April, 2005, 03:41 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

you can install/repair windos over the old version if you can't boot, your personal files won't be overwritten, only the OS files, but I guess they aren't your choice for a backup
Old 6th April, 2005, 11:27 PM
Member/Contributer

Looks like the board is dead, second new PSU didn't work Now I cant decide which board to get!

AOA Team fah
Old 7th April, 2005, 12:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to Quickbeam177

I've had the same problem with the A7N8X a while back. My 3200+ has seen 3 different boards now *sigh*

I forgot to plug in the power to the 4 pin connector, and I'd get random reboots every now and then... then the board just up and died one day. Ah well, you live, you learn, and then you overclock 'til ya smell something burning (rinse and repeat).
eVGA Geforce 7800GT
SoundBlaster Audigy 2
2x WD Raptor 36gb in RAID 0
NEC Silver DVD +/-RW ND-3540A
Enermax Liberty 620w PSU
Old 7th April, 2005, 06:46 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickbeam177
I've had the same problem with the A7N8X a while back. My 3200+ has seen 3 different boards now *sigh*

I forgot to plug in the power to the 4 pin connector, and I'd get random reboots every now and then... then the board just up and died one day. Ah well, you live, you learn, and then you overclock 'til ya smell something burning (rinse and repeat).

Welcome to AOA's Forums, Quickbeam177!

Well written, it is the truth and worth a good laugh!
Old 7th April, 2005, 08:48 PM
Member/Contributer

I've ordered the standard NF7 v2 as a replacement. Its about 2/3's the price and as I dont have any SATA drives and dont use the Soundstorm anymore. I"m in the middle of stripping out the watercooling and all that hassle again.......grrr!

AOA Team fah
Old 8th April, 2005, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I've ordered the standard NF7 v2 as a replacement. Its about 2/3's the price and as I dont have any SATA drives and dont use the Soundstorm anymore. I"m in the middle of stripping out the watercooling and all that hassle again.......grrr!
Fine choice, although some new Abit boards aren't exactly the same as the older ones; somehow they happen to everclock a bit worse (hope your one will run like a champ ).

As to reinstalling the OS : my Win2k has already went through Epox 8RDA3+, Abit NF7 and 2 x Epox 8RDA3+ PRO - I had to deinstall nForce2 drivers, use DriverCleaner and install some newer ones (from the reason Áedán has mentioned).
Old 10th April, 2005, 10:53 AM
Member/Contributer

Just out of interest, is there anything that can be done to breath life back into the dead mobo?

AOA Team fah
Old 10th April, 2005, 05:34 PM

I would like to think so. something about the voltage controller and if it is soldered on.
because I am electronicaly challanged, I have to believe, that somewhere past the
main power connector is a dark spot on the board. on the back, near the n-bridge and
the cpu. not a burnt black. just a small discoloration. it wasn't an n-force board. an
n-tel that used the 4 pin 12v connecter. I wold take a picture if I still had the board.
may the n-force be with you! my journey with the n-force has just begun!

1 8RDA+ ver 1.0
1 MSI K7N Delta a dog
1 NF-7 ver 2 and building #2

Ron

AOA Team fah
Old 11th April, 2005, 10:50 PM
Member/Contributer

Well, just out of interest I E-mailed Abit UK and explained the situation of my dead board. They offer an "Out of Warranty" repair service and judging from the fast reply to my email I would guess they would turn the repairs around quite fast too.

It does cost a fair bit though, £52 inc Vat all told, so I guess it makes sense on higher value boards but not in my case as a new NF7-S is about £55!
Just thought you'd like to know....

AOA Team fah
Old 12th April, 2005, 12:03 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Tough break, I'm sorry to hear it!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 12th April, 2005, 12:49 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Just out of interest, is there anything that can be done to breath life back into the dead mobo?
Depends on what died really. Therein lies the art of repairing things - figuring out what's actually broke in the first place!
Old 14th April, 2005, 08:08 PM
Member/Contributer

New NF7!

Well, the replacement board arrived yesterday and its in today. I'm happy to report that I haven't have to remove or re-install any drivers yet and everything, LAN, SB Live card and Live Drive and Radeon 9600 gfx, seems to work like as they did in the old board.

But I was a little dissappointed/relieved when I removed the NB cooler to fit the NB waterblock. Abit did a great job of putting hardly any thermal goop on the chipset, saving me valuable time removing it......I think Abit need to replace the NB thermal goop canister or the chap who should have replaced it first!

Anyway, lets see what this baby can do. 220FSB was the limit on the old board with Abit BIOS and 230FSB with a TicTac/Merlin special
Attached Thumbnails
Dead NF7 or PSU?-dsc00657.jpg  

AOA Team fah
Old 14th April, 2005, 09:23 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Happy your back up and kicking sand!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 14th April, 2005, 09:47 PM

Good OCing, mate - try out some Trats moded bioses - the latest work better than any TicTac/Merlin bios ever created.