AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th February, 2002, 04:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to DukuKane

windows me bios?

Hi, guess what, i had another crash. I need my laptop pronto aka working tonight so i can take it on my trip tommorrow to get my work done and it is crashed!

Lots of stuff got ****ed up so ehre how it is right now.
Blank HD

When i start up i get a MISSING OPERATIG SYSTEM error in DOS.
if i put in my 98 CD it starts installing then says it cant because the bios is set up for windows ME. I have a windows ME upgrade disk, but not the full version. I tried runnng setup.exe from dos and it jsut scans how much space is on the hd and stops. if anyoen can help me quick PLEEEASE DO! thanks!
Old 15th February, 2002, 04:38 AM
Banned

I can't help, but I would imagine the company that made that laptop could, even if it's only through searching google or their website.
Old 15th February, 2002, 04:42 AM

just found soemhting new
when i run setup on the me cd it says 15728640 bytes required on your C drive. its saying my c drive is too small.....know how i can fix this? im thinking it might be partitioned or soemthing
Old 15th February, 2002, 04:42 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

The upgrade ME CD should be bootable as well. The setup.exe may be a windows exec that can only be run from windows... ie to upgrade.

Try booting from the ME CD. It will most likely say it is for upgrade only, and request proof of a previous OS... swap to the win98CD so ME will be happy. Then swap back. You should then be able to install ME.

BTW.. I've never seen an "OS specific" bios. Maybe there are bios settings you can change to make it win98 compatible (?).

GoodLuck.
Old 15th February, 2002, 04:45 AM

see above post, lol

the error message for the BIOS said "BIOS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THIS SYSTEM RECOVERY CD" somehting like that when tthe 98 cd was in
Old 15th February, 2002, 04:49 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by DukuKane
just found soemhting new
when i run setup on the me cd it says 15728640 bytes required on your C drive. its saying my c drive is too small.....know how i can fix this? im thinking it might be partitioned or soemthing
How is your HDD blank? Have you formatted it over? or did some freak accident wipe it out?

If you've already said goodbye to the data, and want to start clean, Fdisk it, and create a new partition. Also, I think winME will need a lot more than 15megs to install, 150megs makes more sense. But that shouldn't be a problem on a modern machine.
Old 15th February, 2002, 04:52 AM

it is 150, i made a typo
ill try to fdisk now and see if i can manage to partition this by myself, thx
Old 15th February, 2002, 05:00 AM

ok, i ran fdisk, it says that my c drive is partitioned as 5464MB, so it loosk right from here, but the me cd reads that it isnt big enough

Partition- C: 1
Status- A
Type- PRI DOS
volume label-
mbytes- 5726
System- unknown
usage- 100%
Old 16th February, 2002, 07:31 AM
Banned

Update?