AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th May, 2005, 12:53 AM

Steam will not update correctly!

Steam services are horrible. I just wanna play counter strike source!!! I have redownloaded steam and still no help. It tries to do an automatic update to update the steam platform. It gets to 99% and an error occurs. It tells me it was unable to open dbghelp.dll for writing or something like that. Anyone know what is going on?
Old 11th May, 2005, 04:10 AM

Man that sucks, best thing to do is try to uninstall Steam and HL2, CS etc and redo it all. If that doesn't work, I would seriuosly get on the phone with Valve or whoever is doing their support and get some help. Google Steam and dbghelp.dll to see if you can find someone in another forum with a similar problem, should be something out there STEAM is famous for its problems. Personally I think it is unacceptable that after SIX YEARS in development Valve delivers something this plagued with problems. That's ok, they haven't got my $50 yet, I'll be waiting until I can get a bargain basement price on this one.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th May, 2005, 03:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to Skiracing108

i used to have random crashes because of steam-but now it runs fine-something must be missing reinstall
evga 7800gtx CORE 498mhz MEM 1.29ghz
Maxtor 250gig hardrive
soundblaster-audigy 2z's
Klipsch pro media 5:1 surround sound
Thermaltake 500w psu
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th May, 2005, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poly15
Steam services are horrible. I just wanna play counter strike source!!! I have redownloaded steam and still no help. It tries to do an automatic update to update the steam platform. It gets to 99% and an error occurs. It tells me it was unable to open dbghelp.dll for writing or something like that. Anyone know what is going on?
check properties of 'dbghelp.dll' if it is ticked 'read only'.
if so, remove tick and close properties.
try re-install ...

good luck

1] ... Athlon XP2500+ Barton @ 3000+ & 512 MB RAM WinXP
2] ... Athlon XP2500+ Barton @ 3100+ & 1024 MB RAMWin2k
3] ... Athlon XP2500+ Mobile Barton @ 3200+ & 512 MB RAM WinXP
4&5] Athlon A64X2 3800+ @ 2.6 GHz (~ 5000+) & 2x 1024 MB RAM running @ 237 MHz WinXP

All folding 24/7
Old 13th May, 2005, 10:14 PM

Thanks guys. I got it
Old 13th May, 2005, 10:25 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by poly15
Thanks guys. I got it
May we also know what the solution was, please ?

1] ... Athlon XP2500+ Barton @ 3000+ & 512 MB RAM WinXP
2] ... Athlon XP2500+ Barton @ 3100+ & 1024 MB RAMWin2k
3] ... Athlon XP2500+ Mobile Barton @ 3200+ & 512 MB RAM WinXP
4&5] Athlon A64X2 3800+ @ 2.6 GHz (~ 5000+) & 2x 1024 MB RAM running @ 237 MHz WinXP

All folding 24/7
Old 13th May, 2005, 11:44 PM

I don't exactly know. I reinstalled steam once again (fourth time) and it still didn't work. I restarted my computer again for like the 20th time and all the sudden it started working.
Old 16th May, 2005, 11:55 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Steam is so coo.. Not! To play a solo game, which is the best some people can do, you gotta Steamify. Bites, I tells ya.
Old 17th May, 2005, 02:53 AM

True that
Old 3rd June, 2005, 01:28 PM

problems, we all got'em

i had a similar problem with steam.
once it worked, then it stopped so i reinstalled (which took days b-cos i STUPIDLY got the 500CD version lol) and i had to do this a few times.

eventually it only worked when i came home from Uni and used my own net connection and not the LAN at uni

just thought i'd let you guys know thats all

and yes, steam bites. in fact it can bite my shiny metal ass! lol

too much of this i think
Old 3rd June, 2005, 03:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
Steam is so coo.. Not! To play a solo game, which is the best some people can do, you gotta Steamify. Bites, I tells ya.
Not to mention steam is killing the used PC game market. You'll never be able to find a used copy of HL2. Actually, I take that back. You probably can find a used copy of HL2 on ebay or whatnot, but you've got to use the steam ID of the original owner. Weak.
Old 3rd June, 2005, 03:36 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to calgar Send a message via AIM to calgar Send a message via MSN to calgar Send a message via Yahoo to calgar

indeed, all it is doing is fueling file sharing

i dont have any liking for any steamed games, but if i did, i probabally wouldnt buy it because it is just too much hassel from what i have been hearing, i would just download and crack it
Old 3rd June, 2005, 04:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgar
indeed, all it is doing is fueling file sharing

i dont have any liking for any steamed games, but if i did, i probabally wouldnt buy it because it is just too much hassel from what i have been hearing, i would just download and crack it
As far as I know they cannot be cracked. You MUST connect to the steam network to play the game, no matter whether you're playing a single-player or multiplayer game.
Old 3rd June, 2005, 04:39 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to calgar Send a message via AIM to calgar Send a message via MSN to calgar Send a message via Yahoo to calgar

there are cracks that basically bypass the need to connect to the steam network
Old 3rd June, 2005, 07:31 PM

I think you're right, but in all honesty this guy has paid for the game and he shouldent have to use an illigal application in order to get it to work. Steam may somehow detect he's using it and remove his account.
Old 3rd June, 2005, 07:36 PM
Banned

yeah, i know, im just saying how what valve have tried to use to stop their game being cracked ect has ended up making more people not want the bother of having to go through steam because its easier to just find a crack for it
Old 3rd June, 2005, 08:35 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I don't understand why Valve(or Sierra?) foisted this cr*ptastic Steam bull upon us. Having to be onlne the very first time you even look at your own, paid for game, is slashingly ridiculous. If you have HL2 in a neighborhood that has no connection to the Web, how are you supposed to play the game?

Generating bad will from your customers is stupid. Will they understand this? Or is it that they don't give a fig, because you already bought the game? If so, it's beyond asinine.